Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sense broken charging cable

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi Community, has anyone experienced an issue with the charging cable pins recessing into their holes? I was given a Sense as a gift a couple of months ago and noticed the other day that it had stopped charging. When I inspected the cable, I can see that one of the pins has crawled back into the hole.

Is there any way to perform a DIY fix? I have seen cables on the market that you can purchase, but I don't want to go down that route yet as the watch is pretty new. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi everyone, and thanks for your participation in the Community Forums.

Thank you for sharing your experience and troubleshooting. To keep threads on topic or tailed to a specific topic, I'm going to close this thread from further comments. If your Sense is not charging, please follow the charging tips in this Fitbit help article Why isn't my Fitbit device's battery charging? 

In case your charging cable is the one defective or damaged, I'd recommend contacting our Support team so they can evaluate your options and see what can be done to bring you on track. They're available via chat and phone, just click here to get connected with them.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
95 REPLIES 95

Whilst not ideal, I managed to pry open the square part of the charging cable but there is no easy way to access the pin and push it back up without damaging the electronics. So maybe I just got unlucky. In saying that, you would think the charging cable would last a fair while before something like this happened.

Best Answer

Probably best to contact Fitbit Support directly. They may be able to help you with a new cable as its under warranty.

A picture would be great - can you post one?

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Thanks for the reply.

In the photo, you can see three gold pins with the bottom left pin being the suspect one. I was hoping I would be able to push the pin back up (after opening the base) so that some contact could be made with the back of the watch, but it isn't possible.

I've ordered a new cable that is longer and appears to have stronger pins. If Fitbit can help out then great, but as the item was a gift I don't have the receipt - just the box and the serial number of the device. 

Best Answer

Mine did the same thing last week.  One of the 4 little pins stuck down so watch stopped charging. I wound up taking it apart and after not being able to get the pin unstuck eventually screwing it up beyond repair.  I ordered a double pack with 3 foot cords from Amazon and they are working just fine.  Now if they would fix the the heart rate issue so that that my calories burned and active minutes would calculate right I would be happy.  Just admit that there is an issue with it and fix either the hardware or software or both. 

Best Answer

Thanks for the photo - clearly faulty - as the watch can't be more than a year old its still under warranty - so they should send you a replacement charge cable if you contact them.

NB. A number of people experience charging problems - this may be a common fault, that the spring loaded pins recede when attached and don't pop out again, as on yours. Good find.

Best Answer

I have the same thing. A pushed in pin. No way to charge. Only had the Sense since Sept. So frustrating. Hate having to keep buying 3rd party replacement cables. Given that I have had to buy a new one for every Fitbit I have ever bought, you would think I would learn and change brand.

Best Answer

Hi everyone. It's good to see you participating in the Community Forums. @Guy_, thanks for your help. 

@ravinot, thanks for your efforts as well for sharing a picture of your charging cable. While I'm glad that you've ordered a new charging cable, I'd follow @Guy_'s advice and contact our team so they can look into this situation. I'm sure they'll evaluate the best possible option to bring you back on track.

@steveo57 and @Fitbituser228, thanks for joining this thread and I'm sorry for the difficulties that you've experienced with your Sense. Given this situation, I'd suggest you to get in touch with our Support team so they can create a case on your behalf and help you with this matter. You can click here to get connected with them via chat or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This has happened to me twice within the warranty period.  In less than 6 months, twice.  This is a faulty design!!! I think Fitbit should fix the design and send all folks with these types of watches, even those with watches that are out of warranty, a new one that doesn't break so easily!!!!!

--------------------------------------

And it was the exact same pin as yours....both times!!!!

Best Answer

Hi @bearlihere. Welcome on board.

Thanks for joining this thread and I'm sorry for the inconvenience you've had with your Sense. This isn't the experience that we want you to have and please know your feedback won't go unnoticed as it'll help us to improve our devices and overall environment. Given this situation, I went ahead to review your details and I noticed you already have a case created with our Support team. Please keep an open communication with them as I'm sure they'll help you with this matter to bring you back on track.

See you around.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is unacceptable, and the lack of response or public acknowledgment that this is a clear manufacturing defect just makes all of fitbits long time loyal customers feel like fools. 

not only has my wife’s fitbit charger had the same issue, it is again the exact same pin. This is clearly a manufacturing defect, and when the pin is not engaged with the spring there is actually no sound electric connection through it at all. I was able to fully disassemble the charger and the pin/spring assembly is completely enclosed and would be impossible to even repair, but I am glad I was able to confirm what others here have documented.

please fitbit, if you care about your customers do not sweep us under the rug and tell us to contact support. We dont need support, we need resolution, and my time would have been saved had i looked up this issue and found an answer from Fitbit. Instead, its fitbit’s users that were able to help me see the issue clearly.  Image of the de-cased charging assembly 

Best Answer

@VincentWh 

Totally agree with your powerful post especially with the last paragraph. 

My first Sense charger also had a recessed spring loaded pin and was always giving a slow charging message. My frustration almost got to the point on giving up on the watch. Ended up buying another charging cable and now treat this new cable with kids' gloves. 

Best Answer

@VincentWh  Good job. Please post more pics so people can see the problem.

Best Answer

I was thinking the same thing.  The first time this happened to me, there were no posts about it anywhere.  The second time, I figured that if it happened to me twice, then I wasn't the only one. 

Best Answer

"Hi everyone. It's good to see you participating in the Community Forums."

People only participate in vendor forums when they have a problem with the product, so it really isn't. And the sort of pablum in this and your other post is not helpful.

Best Answer

Here are all the photos i took after i removed the case.

https://ibb.co/h83y55w
https://ibb.co/pdvqd6V
https://ibb.co/QmVWXTR 
https://ibb.co/hZtbx33
https://ibb.co/sFwq7xz

There are 4 spring loaded pins that are used to create the electrical circuit to charge the watch. When removing, incidentally the only one to not be pulled off (the solder that is) was also the misbehaving one. The one that others have noted as well.

the interesting thing is, there is no spring action whatsoever, and i wasn't even able to get a stable electrical connection through the pin itself. Surprisingly the spring is probably also creating the circuit connection.

and since we have no other option for charging other than these connectors, we really are in need of a solution….

Best Answer

Same charging cable/pin issue here (the same pin as shown in the pictures uploaded by others).

I did a chat w/Fitbit support yesterday.  I had to submit a photo of the cable sitting on top of a white piece of paper on which I'd written a case # the rep provided. I was figuring this would be an easy process to get a replacement. I was then asked where and when I bought my fitbit. I responded Costco in Feb 2021. After a several minute delay, the rep responded that since my Fitbit was still within the warranty period and I bought my Fitbit at Costco, I needed to take it back to Costco for repair. I explained that Costco will simply have me return the entire fitbit (tracker and cable) and sell me a new one (or simply let me leave with the refund). This seemed like a huge waste of time and resources over a faulty charging cable. I rephrased the response I got into the question for the rep; "So you want me to return everything to Costco because of an issue with a cheap charging cable?" The rep on the other end of the chat came back with the response:

"Okay xxxx our team will be sending you an email regarding further instructions and the warranty outcome. Please check into that in a few minutes."

22 1/2 hours later and no email has arrived.

Best Answer

This same issue with the Sense charging cable has happened to me twice as well.  I got my Sense in Nov 2020 and the charging cable that came with it had the pin issue 2-3 months ago.  So, I ordered a replacement charger through Fitbit.  Now the replacement charger quit working last night with the same recessed pin issue so I went onto Fitbit and ordered yet ANOTHER charging cable.  I'm getting fed up with having to purchase replacement cables for my Sense because one of the charging pins ends up recessing.  I never had this issue with my Versa or Versa 2 and charging them.  I pulled my Versa 2 out last night, got it charged up and got it added back to my Fitbit app so I could continue with my challenges.  People shouldn't have to continually purchase charging cables to keep their Sense up and running.😠

Best Answer
I used the chat feature and was able to get help right away.
Best Answer
I was able to get a new cord in 2 business days. I love the watch but
someone needs to do something about the cable.
Best Answer