Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I interpret the blood oxygen variation graph?

ANSWERED

Good morning,

I use a Charge 3 and recently noticed the addition of a blood oxygen variation graph in my sleep data. I've been googling a bit but am unsure how to interpret it. Can someone help?

Unfortunately, I'm unable to include a picture, but I'll try to explain as best I can.

The x-axis is clearly for time, but what about the y-axis? There's a line about halfway up where labels say "large" above it and "small" below it (my translation; I use the app in Swedish). The graph legend also states that a green line indicates small variations, while yellow marks bigger variations, so that's also pretty self-explanatory. My graph is almost entirely green every night, but it's fairly low on the chart. Does this mean my Charge 3 estimates I have a fairly low level of blood oxygen, but with small variations? The few times the graph has been yellow, it's been to form a peak rather than a trough.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@JudyH123  sorry, but the oxygen data is limited to the Charge 3, Versa and Ionic

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

I can't help directly as I don't track my sleep but hopefully this help file from fitbit will be of some use:

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1876/

Best Answer

Hi, @SteveH , thanks for your reply and the link, which has cleared up some things for me. Looking at it again, the graph doesn't actually have a labelled y-axis, so I'm thinking maybe it only measures variations and not exact values, and displays them in two ways (ie colour coded and the graph going up and down). Either way, the sample graph used in the article looks fairly similar to mine, so I won't worry about it.

Best Answer

Hi Emmy,

Sleep apnea is the question for me, and the blood oxygen level associated.  If there is a large variation (and I think you're correct that there is not a specific measurement on the y-axis--only a relative variation) I check heart rate to see if its elevated.  At high variance, there could be less oxygen absorption. 

Looks like a good tool, but is approximate.

Best Answer

@Emmy_M wrote:

Unfortunately, I'm unable to include a picture

In order to include a picture, just click on the camera symbol of the toolbar:

2020-03-01_1103.png

The toolbar will look differently if you’re posting from a mobile device, but even on such a device, the reduced toolbar will include a camera symbol.

After clicking on the camera symbol, point to the screenshot you took (taking screenshots depends on the type of mobile device you’re using, google it if you don’t know how to do it on yours) from the Fitbit app and you will get something looking like this:

eov.png

My own EOV curves are also always in the low, green area. I take it this means I don’t experience particular breathing problems during sleep.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

You’re right, @SimonCat - it is an approximate tool, not a medical tool. But it’s a good tool. I saw my pulmonologist last week and showed it to him. He told me to keep an eye on the graph. If I start seeing bigger gaps or high gaps, to call for an appointment.  I sleep with a CPAP and apparently it is doing the job. My graphs have been low and consistent. 

Best Answer

My graph is all black. I have a fitbit Inspire HR model.  

Let me know if the blood oxygen variation graph is available with the Inspire HR 

thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JudyH123  sorry, but the oxygen data is limited to the Charge 3, Versa and Ionic

Best Answer

Thanks so much.  I will stop trying to use this 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi.

I recently bought the new Charge 4 which has the feature. In my opinion this is the best wearable Fitbit have produced yet.

Search around for just over £100 .

You won't be disappointed.

Best Answer

I’m a 75-year-old man, and I’m going to post two graphs. The first one is what I see most every morning when I look at my oxygen variation graph,  The second is a graph from this morning.  This is actually the highest spike I’ve ever had.  About twice a month I’ll see one spike that usually barely goes into the “orange zone.”  I’m interested in the analysis others might have of this. Since these spikes are the exception and not the rule, and when they occur they are one lone spike and not multiple spikes throughout the night, I tend to think they are not an indication of sleep apnea but are more likely due to my twisting my wrist during sleep in a way that pulls the Fitbit away from my wrist momentarily.  What do others think. 

CFD3FB19-DFD7-41B4-9A64-F0371ECDA9E0.jpeg

75C65A8F-CCA5-433B-A1B7-A8BB761BFF5D.jpeg

Best Answer

I have been thinking the same thing. Mine had two spikes into the yellow last night but most nights has none. I also wondered if it is how I have my arm placed because my son has mild asthma but a couple years ago he got the flu paired with his asthma it caused pneumonia and we spent a few nights in the hospital. Sometimes when he would be sleeping the oxygen level alarm would go off and the nurse would say it was just because he was sleeping on the arm his oxymeter way on, we would move him and sure enough it would go back to normal. I really think Fit bit should have given more detailed info on interpretation of this. 

Best Answer

Well, after ten days of no spikes, I had two last night.  I checked and my heart rate did not change at all during those spike periods, which it would have if I was not getting enough oxygen to my organs.  Therefore, I think you are correct, these occasional spikes don’t mean much, and are probably in some way related to unusual movement.

n8vz_0-1597070765268.png

Best Answer

Did you ever learn anything further about your few spikes? My graphs look similar to yours and I have the same questions as in your original post.

Best Answer

I also get these spikes occasionally but have noticed they seem to occur at the time(s) I get up to use the restroom at night. I’m guessing the action of getting out of bed and walking cause me to breathe deeper,  causing a high spike. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am really getting some big variations for oxygen and heart rate   Tried to post pic and haven't figure it out yet

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting. I had three big spikes last night which is unusual but I also woke up last night and my right arm and hand (arm I wear watch on) were asleep. Maybe that explains the spikes last night. 

Best Answer

The graph should be fairly low on the scale and hopefully fully green.

With my readings I see this quite a bit, but occasionally see some spikes with the yellow peaks.  One thing I am noting is that when I see this my heart rate has dropped too low.

Best Answer

My concern is that my Oxygen Saturation reading on my Fitbit Versa shows a range of 78% to 92% for last night???  It is ALWAYS between 89 and 93% which is too low.  Correct?  How accurate is it?  Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been through sleep testing, overnight at the hospital. My breathing is too shallow so my oxygenation level stays very low. On the Fitbit graph this means I see low variation because the problem is consistent: I’m not getting enough oxygen all night.  The graph is not helpful for me. 

Best Answer