Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Sleep score work?

ANSWERED

Can someone please explain Sleep Score to me

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
229 REPLIES 229

Why do I only occasionally get a sleep score?  This morning I had a sleep score of 78 and that was the first one in a week. 

Best Answer

You only get the sleep score occasionally because you are blessed. Most of us are cursed with the unwanted "sleep score" daily. Be grateful for small mercies.

Best Answer
Love your answer 😂
Makes as much sense as any.
Best Answer
I ignore the sleep score since it has no reference points for me. But I DO
look at my time asleep and my sleep graph which shows how much in deep
sleep, how much awake, etc. My goal is 7.5 hours of sleep a night with 8.5
hours in bed. This and how I feel tell me most of what I want to know.
Which is .... sleep is super critical to our functioning!!!

--

*Phil Chenevert*
*Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. **Dalai Lama*

Best Answer

I usually get scores in the 70s. I've had a few in the 80s. So last night I only got 4.5 hours of sleep and 12 minutes deep. Somehow I get a score of 80. How in the world can this be scientific or correct. It makes fitbit seem like a joke. 

Best Answer
Exactly. They just primarily calculate percentages over your total sleep. So if you sleep 5 hours, but are 25% in REM and 20% in deep sleep, you still get a fantastic score while waking up feeling like crap.
Best Answer

Your overall sleep score is a sum of your individual scores in sleep duration, sleep quality, and restoration, for a total score of up to 100. Most people get a score between 72 and 83. Sleep score ranges are:

• Excellent: 90-100
  • Good: 80-89
  • Fair: 60-79
  • Poor: Less than 60
Duration: Time asleep and awakeHow much you slept—the more you sleep, the better your score.
Quality: Deep & REM sleepHow much time you spent in deep and REM sleep—the more time you spend in these sleep stages, the better your score.
Restoration: Sleeping heart rate & restlessnessHow relaxed you were during sleep—a high sleeping heart rate or too much tossing and turning lowers your score.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, I get what it's supposed to do only my experience over and over again
is I'll sleep, toss and turn and sweat all night and get a "great" score or
have a really sound, refreshing 3-hr night and get a poor score. It's all
b.s. And fitbit no longer provides a weekly average which is much more
accurate and meaningful to me.
Best Answer
Well that gives a better idea of where the sleep score comes from and makes
a lot of sense. The exact ratios would be of even better help. For
example for quality, what is considered ideal? 10% of sleep time spent in
deep/rem sleep = a score of 10; 15 % of sleep time spent in Deep/rem sleep
= a score of 12, etc.
For Restorative what sleeping heart rate is considered relaxed and by how
much, etc.

Also, I assume age is a factor in modifying these scores. As I said, this
is informative and helpful in determining the score and more detailed
information woujld be even better.

--

*Phil Chenevert*
*Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible. **Dalai Lama*

Best Answer
0 Votes

Post deleted.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm not asking for others not to be able to see data. I just don't need a
**ahem** failing grade every other day when it is so widely inaccurate. And how
about they add back the weekly average unless that's too hard for others to
ignore.
Best Answer

Screen shot is in Dutch but the top title says "7 hours and 46 minutes slept", as far as I know that is what you mean with "And how about they add back the weekly average"? 

Screenshot_20200204-153933.jpg

Tracking my health and movements with Fitbit from april 2014, now using a Sense 2™
Best Answer
0 Votes

It measures every night's sleep and provides a score out of 100 points based on 4 key inputs. Total time spent in sleeping and part of night spent in restorative phases and deep sleep. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, we know how the sleep score is calculated. It provides a simple
evaluation of the quality of sleep, but is completely useless as a tool
for improving it.
Best Answer
I had my first "excellent" score this morning. I sat up but stayed in bed
for an extra 15 minutes brushing my cat. The score dropped 2 pts down to
"good". I can spend 6 hours tossing and turning all night and get a "good"
score but sleep really soundly for 4 hours and get a "fair" score.
Obviously to me is the whole scoring thing is bull**ahem** if it's not capable
of telling if I'm awake or not. Just give me a weekly average of hours
slept and let individuals chose whether or not they get scores.
Best Answer

Hi!  To find out more about your sleep score on a certain day, you first go on the Fitbit app and tap on your sleep on the home screen. Once you do that, you will be able to see your sleep stages and scores for every day of the week if you are using Fitbit premium. Just tap on a day and then you should be able to see a breakdown of your score in three categories, Time Asleep, Deep and REM, and Restoration. You can also see your sleeping heart rate if you tap on Restoration. I hope this helps! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi! The reason why you are only getting occasional sleep scores is because you are using the free version of Fitbit. If you want to get a sleep score every night to know how well you are sleeping, then switch to Fitbit Premium for $9.99 a month. When I first got Premium, it wouldn’t track my sleep stages and score consistently. It would only track how long I slept. If you experience that, I would suggest not pushing the begin sleep now button when you go to sleep for the night. I think you should only push the begin sleep now button if you are taking a nap. You don’t have to do anything on the Fitbit app before you go to sleep. Make sure your Fitbit is charged and put it on your forearm on your non dominant arm right before you go to sleep. Make sure that it is not too loose or too tight on your arm. In the morning, open the Fitbit app to see your sleep score and sleep stages. It will take a while to sync your device and get sleep information. I have tried all those tips on how to get a sleep score and I get it every night now. I hope my answer was helpful to you! 😀

Best Answer
I know how to do this. It still is not indicitive of the actual quality of
sleep I had and it still does not give average weekly hours of sleep.
Best Answer
0 Votes

your answer is right.I will actually do as you instructed and see how it will get me to.

Best Answer
Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer