Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate Sleep Log? Change your settings!

Hi sleepy Community members!

Does your sleep log look something like this?

sleep log restless.png

If you think your log is inaccurate when it shows this much restlessness, you're not alone! A lot of Fitbit users have sleep logs like this, and many times it's due to the fact that Sleep settings are on "Sensitive" mode instead of "Normal" mode. A little about these two modes:

• The normal setting counts significant movements as being awake (such as rolling over) and is appropriate for most users.
  • The sensitive setting will cause your tracker to record nearly all movements as time spent awake. This setting may be helpful for users with sleep disorders, or those who wear their tracker somewhere other than the wrist while asleep.

We strongly suggest that most users use the Normal setting. To change your settings to Normal, follow these steps, or visit our help article!

• To change your setting in the Fitbit iOS app, go to Account Advanced Settings > Sleep Sensitivity.
  • To change your setting in the fitbit.com dashboard, go to Settings > Devices > scroll down to Sleep Tracking.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any trouble changing this setting or if you have seen a difference in the accuracy of your sleep log after switching!

Best Answer
522 REPLIES 522

Quite sad that Fitbit has not truly addressed this issue. There are MANY users that have done all the suggestions for improvement and nothing is working. I've tried all of them 3 or 4 times and the issue always returns. Oh well, at least I know when I get my steps! 

Best Answer

The other night my wife and I watched a movie that was 90 minutes long. I stayed pretty still the whole movie but was awake. My Sense showed over an hour of sleep time, go figure! 

Best Answer

I've switched it between normal and sensitive.  It shows 3 hours or 2 hours of sleep.  I don't trust it. My heart beats high at night so it thinks I'm active.  Check your heartbeat.  Can't trust the sleep part.  

Best Answer
Already did everything suggested

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Since purchasing premium I no longer get the data of my oxygen levels when sleeping 

Best Answer
0 Votes

For some time now I have been annoyed by finding incomplete or missing sleep data when I wake up in the morning. I finally found a solution to this, at least with the Charge 4. If your sleep data are incomplete in your app (e.g. it suddenly stops displaying data half-way through the night), you can click on the day in question under Sleep, touch the little drop-down menu in the upper right corner, and choose Edit Log. Then manually enter your actual wakeup time and Save.

I did this and suddenly the missing data appeared. The device had recorded it but, for some reason, wouldn't display it in the app. You can use the same trick if the app shows no data at all. Just create a new log with the time you fell asleep (if not sure, estimate it) and the time you woke up. The Fitbit app will then show whatever data is has for that time period.

I have done this with missing sleep data going back to last November and have managed to recover data for every night I thought I had missed. You can also do this on the web site, and more easily than you can with the app.

Hope this helps someone. It solved a major annoyance for me

Best Answer

Thanks Callie for this timeless advice

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tried that a long time ago but it didn't make any difference, unfortunately. So far the only solution I have found is the one I outlined in my post on 8 Jan. 2023. This continues to be the only thing that consistently works for me.

Best Answer

Thanks for the insight, I use flex 2 tracker and did change the sleep setting from my app and also reboot device, it works well 👍

Best Answer

The sleep functionality with Fitbit is awful. It never logs correctly in either Normal or Sensitive. I have used several sleep trackers and was hoping Fitbit would be up to par considering it part of paid premium functionality. It is not. I am canceling my premium account.

Best Answer
Yep, but I can not find anything else that is close for sleep, have tried
samsung, garmin, to no avail, they are not even close.

--
Edward Ramonas
Best Answer
I ditched the Fitbit and opted for an Apple Watch and it shows my restless sleep( turning over), my deep sleep, my REM sleep and core ( the rest of sleep.)

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I usually have to set the start time myself. It often just records a few hours by itself, like from 2:40 AM to 7:51 AM.
Then I have to set the date to the previous day, change to PM, and then set it to 10:20 PM or about 20 minutes from when I went to bed.Then I save it.Then to get it to do all the analysis to show REM and Deep sleep and all, I usually have to restart the fitbit watch.
Best Answer
Try to reboot your device with the instruction from fitbit and change of
settings and it will pick up.
Best Answer

Best sleep tracker I have used is the Whoop band. I will probably go back to that.

Best Answer

I don’t have an advanced setting in my settings menu. I can neither adjust sleep or brightness on my charge3. Worked fine yesterday, even recorded my nap time automatically. Today after waking for a drink at 02:21, it recorded nothing after that. I did edit it manually in the app and weirdly it showed the pattern of sheet stages but not oxygen levels. Hire can one be updated and not the other. I’ve started to wear this again to track my sleep as it more accurately reflects my restless times better than my Apple Watch. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You should check the Quantified Scientist on Youtube, he does sleep comparisons between different trackers, he is great!

Best Answer
No thanks.
Best Answer
0 Votes

This article was in 2017, it's 2024 and I can not find this option anywhere on my dashboard which has greatly changed. Was this option removed? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not removed, just moved. On the iPhone app it's at Settings (click the icon at the upper right) -->App Settings-->Activity & Wellness-->Sleep. On the page that opens there's a sensitivity setting. I don't use the computer dashboard if that's what you mean by dashboard so I can't help you with that.

Best Answer
0 Votes