Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep data with new layout

I suppose there was an update. The app presents sleep data differently.  Have others noticed this?

I miss seeing how long episodes of awake, light, REM and deep sleep are

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

Best Answer
802 REPLIES 802

Can't comment on the post to bring back the old sleep graph but that is what I also ask for.... Or at least... Give back the functionality of the old one.

Full screen graph, different pages for each sleep stage.

I discovered "by accident" that I needed to tap and HOLD far longer than previously to get the line on the graph showing the time - so at least that r feature is still there... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Why is my sleep tracker suddenly showing only 3-4 hrs of sleep?  It also doesn’t show REM or Deep Sleep time and doesn’t give me a score. Very frustrating!

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is good about the changes you have made to the Sleep Display?  Not One Thing.  You have ruined the ability to interpret the data.  Now I am unable to make ANY sense or understand the display because it does not make any sense.  I can't tell where each mode changes and how much time I was in each mode.  WHERE ARE MY PERCENTAGES?????  The Benchmark and 30 day average no longer are useable.  I don't understand why ANYone thought this was an upgrade.  If I had known the main thing I check each day was changed so badly, I would NOT have replaced my Charge5 to a Charge 6.  So disappointed in you Fitbit.  Now I'm so mad I don't check anything.  The person who made this change should be let go.  I want the OLD display back!!!

Best Answer

As I looked at the redesigned sleep data on my Fitbit this morning, it became clear the feature that was missing that I missed the most was the time for each sleep cycle.

had heard from a sleep researcher ideally one should have minimum sleep cycle of about an hour & half.  

With the old data display it told you clearly how many hours we’re in each sleep cycle but the we display just gives you the time & I have to do mental math (before I’ve had my coffee!) 

that’s honestly a shows a serious lack of understanding of how consumers use Fitbit & even more importantly why that data is important! 

with tools such as Fitbit the goal should always be to  give consumers what they want on as clear & easy to understand way as possible.

And Continuous Quality Improvement says one should take consumer feedback in to make improvements- which in this case would mean going back to old display - or updating to new display with the features they should have clearly heard from feedback everyone is missing.  

Best Answer
Has everyone seen this link to a petition demanding action from Fitbit and Google to change the sleep data back to how it used to be?

https://chng.it/qzLbBGd9qX
Best Answer
Done. But 66 signatures won’t make change. One Hundred won’t either…especially because it’s not Fitbit’s nor Google’s culture to do so. ESPECIALLY, because these are only 66 signatures and there of over 1000 forum complaints which are probably much more impactful than six dozen signatures. But that’s my take. I signed for what it’s worth. 😊

My feeling is that if they secretly made changes that screwed all this up and never beta-tested, then they may be hearing us now and making decisions about our changes which will be a new update. To that end, I’m watching for a new update within the next few weeks to see if anyone is listening. Then I’ll start shopping for a new watch with good sleep data….but appears to be a rarity….the sleep section of the watch was their sweet spot.

My suspicion is that Google will eventually integrate Fitbit into their product line and keep the Fitbit name. And do whatever they want.

What a disappointment this company has been.

MODERATORS…ARE YOU READING THESE?
Best Answer

@PeterA1234 wrote:

Not a great update. A step backwards as far as I can see. All sleep data compressed onto a single page almost impossible to read. Crazy 

@PeterA1234 wrote:

Not a great update. A step backwards as far as I can see. All sleep data compressed onto a single page almost impossible to read. Crazy 

Big step backwards,  bring the old style back.

Best Answer

It's more than just the appearance, they've screwed up telemetry as well.  I'd commented once before that unlike the earlier version the "update" fails to capture naps.  Well, I had difficulty sleeping last night, took a solid two-hour nap, and there is no recognition of that fact.  So in addition to having trashed the UI it appears the the development team has managed to screw up how physical data is processed and assessed.  Others have posted similar issues with inaccuracy, so I guess bottom line is we can't really trust the data any longer.  Note that I restored the useful UI on my phone (android) and I have the new and not at all improved version on my iPad.  They both report the same information.  What a way to decimate the value of what had been a great and trusted product.

Best Answer

I don't like the way it has to be done now, but it is possible to record naps. You wait until you wake up, click on +Log Sleep on the bottom right of phone, and enter when you laid down, when you woke up, and "Save" on upper right side of screen. Then check to be sure it recorded the time correctly and edit if it changed what you entered. It doesn't show the graph like it does for night time, but it does allow you to track and adds the nap time to the night time for total hours slept. 

Best Answer

Thanks for the tip, @Gmamas, but this wasn't required before.  The app was "intelligent" enough to do this without prompting.  So, even if it is now possible, it's frankly idiotic to relegate something that was slickly automatic to a manual process.  Again, another giant step backward screwing with monitoring telemetry for no positive purpose.  And to that point, it automatically added nap data to the graphics, so yet another clobbered feature that had at one time not long ago was useful.  And it is monitoring telemetry since I have the v3.9 version operative on my phone and the latest and not-at-all greatest on my iPad.  They both display the same data so it's clear they've altered the monitoring telemetry, it's not just damage they've perpetrated on the UI..

Best Answer
I agree with you in sympathize. The issue for naps is not only recording when you took a nap but getting the Sleep data at the same time. For example, did you get into REM sleep or deep sleep during that time, Etc just being able to add the time manually is of questionable value to me

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Get Outlook for Android<>
Best Answer
I completely agree with your comment. Although I seem to remember that the older version would not record a shorter sleep such as a nap unless there was at least an hour and a half of time to analyze. I don't know if that's reasonable or not but I suspect that hasn't changed. It certainly makes no sense.

Best Answer

Maybe I was lucky, but the old way they monitored sleep, again this isn't just the UI, captured naps for me and displayed all the data in the day's sleep graphic.  It's clear from others commenting on faulty sleep recording that they screwed with what's under the hood as well as the UI and apparently whoever did that was pretty clueless about how the system worked.

Best Answer
No, I did no screwing up under the hood so it should not be clear to you at all. In my experience with the old version, naps would not be recorded unless it was at least one and a half or two hours long. It was clear that not enough data would be recorded in less time than that and the software clearly stated that.

Best Answer

Whether it recorded previously or not likely had to do with how they tuned the telemetry, so the results may vary by person.  It would catch naps sometimes for as little as 35 or 40 minutes but not always.  But when I was napping for > than an hour it always caught that as well as providing timing and sleep level detail.  The previous missed nap was for over 90 minutes and today was over two hours.  Nothing.

Best Answer

I was referring to the brain trust at Google concerning screwing with the telemetry under the hood, not that you did something personally.  As I noted, performance in detecting sleep likely varied by person to a degree, but v3.90 before they started screwing with the app and apparently how data metrics are handled the app for me would generally capture a nap and would always capture a nap > 1 hour.

Best Answer

With the old app, I clicked on "Begin Sleep" and "I'm Awake." It recorded my sleep and indicated deep sleep, REM, etc. on my naps. It's definitely not as easy now to begin sleep or end sleep for a nap, but it is possible, and the app has a total that includes time for nap plus night time sleep. The graph for naps is flat for each type of sleep instead of having additional information like the night time record.

I've tried two other sleep apps, ShutEye and MyPillow, and neither are as good as the old FitBit app.

Also, I've been getting notifications on FaceBook for the FitBit site. I've commented about the impossibility of telling time with the Inspire (since face is black and numbers are almost black - have to be in the dark to see the numbers) and the horrible changes to the sleep app. If the FaceBook page is being monitored, I'm sure the comment will be removed. But at least I had the opportunity to share my opinion in another location. Hopefully  some people will see it before it's removed.

Best Answer

Ms.$31-Buck Smartwatch, from the Jungle, here.

Reading the comments, it's pretty clear to me that they have purchased the generic Chinese software in order to eliminate the cost of Fitbit's custom software management. Easy-peasy. Moocho-More buck-o-roos for Google Hatchet-peeps. 

Best Answer

Thank you!

Best Answer

This morning the old layout is back. Fantastic!

Best Answer