Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design flaw--Surge band/FITBIT doesn't care

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I'm writing because although I have loved my Surge, I've had 2 in a 16-month period. Eventually, the underside of the band cracks, which allows moisture inside. Then you get inconsistent and sometimes total malfunctioning.

Fitbit gladly replaced the first one, which broke down after 6 months. Since my current Surge is only 10 months old, I thought they'd replace it since it is within the warranty period. I was wrong.
They refuse to honor the warranty a second time. They know the issue. I even talked to a customer service supervisor and they won't budge. What kind of company won't stand behind its products?? REALLY disappointed. I think I'm done with Fitbit. Curious if others have had a similar experience??
Best Answer
16 REPLIES 16
Mine has just done the same thing! I've only had it since January. I am hoping they will replace mine as well.
That sucks very bad that you've had it happen twice 😔
Best Answer
Have been reading lots of posts about the same problem (cracks underneath the band), unfortunately. What's most upsetting is they won't replace it a second time. I would probably stick with the inconvenience of having to call for a replacement every 6-9 months if they honored the warranty EACH time. But now I need to find a new fitness watch.
Best Answer
I just chatted with a support rep, she is sending me a replacement. But I agree with you, seems that if it is a known issue they would make them more durable. I mean I do use mine for every workout, so wear and tear on it doesn't surprise me, but it should certainly last more than 6 months. Good luck finding a new watch 😔
Best Answer

I just called to have my Surge replaced....it's cracking at the screws and seperating from the unit.

The band is obviously a design flaw but they don't seem to care. Basically they'll replace within 12 months of original use. If this next 1 lasts 5 1/2 mos like the first one Ive spent $200 fro 12 months usage of a step counter and heartbeat monitor. Not a happy camper.

Best Answer

Hi there everyone! Good to see you in the Community! 🙂

I'm sorry about the inconveniences. When it comes to warranty, it only covers a one year period from the original purchase due to factory defects. If you're beyond the warranty or it doesn't cover your tracker in a specific scenario, Fitbit will give you a 25% discount on any tracker you wish. You can review the warranty and returns policies here.

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

I have had the same issue with my Fitbit. The warranty has expired, but regardless I have not worn it much at all and have taken VERY good care of it. They offered me the 25% off, but why would I want to buy another Fitbit when the quality just isn't there?  Plus they don't stand by their product when there is an obvious design flaw!!! For the price, I'll be purchasing an iWatch and I'll will make sure all my family and friends DO NOT BUY FITBITS!!!  Thanks for nothing Fitbit.

Best Answer

Just wanted to post an update. Fitbit has decided to do the right thing and replace my tracker.  It took some emails and pictures, but they have stepped up to the plate. Thank you Fitbit. 

Best Answer

Just wanted to post an update. Fitbit has decided to do the right thing and replace my tracker.  It took some emails and pictures, but they have stepped up to the plate. Thank you Fitbit. 

Best Answer

You are absolutely right! I am so glad to see I am not the only one having this problem, but I hate it at the same time! I think it sucks that this HUUUUGE company that makes buckoo bucks from all of us, all of the time, but aren't willing to stand by their products! The "WARRANTY POLICY" means diddly squat when they have something that has a manufacturer's defect! They should have caught the problem AND SOLVED IT so that we aren't forced to continue to throw money out the window. Oh well, though, right?? If we are throwing money out our window, it is going straight into theirs so we can get our incredibly expensive Fitbit fixed that THEY KNEW was going to break! I have never been able to get mine replace and the band is almost completely split off. SOOO upsetting. I was given it as a gift, the wrong size mind you, and when I tried to return it for a correct size I wasn't allowed. I have a tiny wrist. My friend ordered me a large and when it came in it was a Black XL. He didn't pay any attention, took all the stuff off, put it together and brought it over in cute little bag. When he was putting it on me he kept commenting about how big it was, and how he didn't understand. It wasn't until we went through the trash and found a sticker that said XL that he realized the wrong thing came in. It was ACTUALLY Fitbit that made the mistake, I figured it was him because he just had too much on his mind. He was here on vacation, there wasn't much he could do without the receipt, so he was going to call when he got back. He was in the Army and just happened to be on leave. He DID call, and I called. Never to get anyone to give us any kind of help. He had somehow packed his receipt in his go bag when he went back overseas. Well, not somehow, it was in his wallet! I even called Fitbit and gave them the credit card number that was used to purchased it!! Nothing!! So... NOW... I have a Fitbit Surge... that I always wanted... That is HUUUUGE.... AND broken. Awesome. Won't fix the band... Wouldn't return THEIR ERROR!! I wish I would have known this sounding board was here a long time ago!! I wish you all better luck than I have had. 25%.... Ha! Yeah right...

Best Answer

@Slammm8 Amazon and E-bay sell aftermarket bands for the Surge. YouTube has "How to" videos to help the process. FYI. The Surge has been discontinued and replaced by the Ionic. It also seems that Fitbit does not do recalls unless it's a "health" related issue. As you have found out, defects are covered under the warranty. Until they are not.

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer

@AnricaX wrote:

Hope You will be luckier than me @AnricaX ( but I'm not sure ). 6 months ago my Surge was replaced ( Thanks to Fitbit for this ) but 6 months later the new one becomes the same as the first ( replaced ) one - the strip with a lot of bubbles. How I solved my problem ? By buying new straps from China and replacing them by myself.

Best Answer
I have been watching some YouTube videos trying to find some answers, and I
have seen a TON OF PEOPLE that have obviously done the same thing. Bought
new straps and a replacement kit online to just fix it themselves! My
question is, because I was screwed from the get go with the size of my
Surge... Could I change the size of my bands when I order one of those
kits??
Best Answer

@Slammm8  You can order a strap with the size and color you want  ( S or L ) and replace it  They differ only in length, width is the same. So you can do it. With my best wishes 🙂

Best Answer
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Best Answer

My husband had the same problem with his Fitbit surge.  They replaced it the first time and he's only had it 10 months and the band is breaking again.  He does not mistreat the Fitbit - he takes excellent care of it - it is a flaw on Fitbit's part and they refuse to honor their product.  He will soon need a new tracker and I strongly encourage him to look at other fitness trackers, not Fitbit products.

Best Answer

I've had the same problem with the Surge band failing, twice now, and Fitbit won't replace the second because it's out of warranty.

I love the offer of 25% of a new Fitbit to restart the warranty - why would I bother? 
There are plenty of other fitness trackers out there, so don't toss your money out with a Fitbit.

They don't stand by their products, so my business will go to a company like Garmin that will.

Adios Fitbit.

M

Best Answer
0 Votes