Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Surge sync issues on all devices

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi there,

I have some issues with my Fitbit Surge sync. It seems that it doesn't sync regularly. It can take a day until it sync automatically. And I can't sync it manually.

Here are the issues:

1. Both my phone and computer sync interval seems too far. I had Fitbit One before, the sync is pretty smooth. But Surge is pretty annoying. I'm not sure when it finally update automatically. 
  2. I often can't force sync the device. There are always errors when I do that. Yes, I can make it sync after I restarted Surge. But it won't last long. After some time, it won't work again. I need to restart again to make it work. 
  3. The exercise shortcuts don't update. They show correctly on the dashboard and my phone, but not on Surge. It doesn't matter how many times I sync it.

It used to work fine before, I'm not sure why it has problems now.

Has anyone the same issue? I hate to restart my Surge just to do the sync. And it's not even updated all settings.

Regards,

Edwin

Best Answer
15 REPLIES 15

How you doing my friend @EdwinP? Welcome! Thanks for the details. Well, first thing that we need to check is compatibility, which devices are you using to sync? You can check our list of compatible devices to double check! I 'd like to mention that the syncing process of the Surge is pretty much the same thing that with the One, the only difference is that when your Surge syncs with a mobile device, they bond for call and text notifications, we've noticed that it might interfere with when you try to connect with other devices. Smiley Wink

In case that you want to sync with a different device, it's best to access to the Bluetooth option on the phone and forget the device from there, after this it should sync find with your computer. Please note that by doing so call and text notifications will be turn off. I personally, don't think it is necessary to sync with other device since you take the phone with you everywhere, but it'd be up to you! Woman Happy

I'll be waiting for your response! Heart

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your reply @YojanaFitbit

I don't think the issue is device compatibility. Fitbit One works seamlessly on all my devices. But not Surge. Not only with my phone and tablet, but it also has the issue with my computer.

And the issue is not that I can't sync with the devices. I can. But it doesn't sync automatically on a regular interval. And once my Surge is separated with my phone (or computer) for a while, when I try to sync it manually it doesn't work. My device can't find my Surge. I need to turn off and back on (or restart) my Surge before I can sync it again. 

And sometimes not all settings are sync. When I change my exercise shortcut or alarm, it doesn't update. I need to try to sync several times until I can see the changes.

I like Surge very much, but this is frustrating. I never have this problem with Fitbit One. Fitbit really should consider wired sync as an alternative.

Best Answer

I have same issues with my surge.  Had to replace it because the band started to separate.  New surge syncs with my iPhone perfectly. Syncing to iPad requires me to forget the device and remove it from the Fitbit app and reinstall. Sometimes it takes quite a while for it to reinstall even. Software is up to date, suspect it is app related.

Best Answer

I start to think mine is broken.

It used to work well before. Too bad there's no reset to factory settings option!

Best Answer

Hope you are doing great and enjoying some healthy activities @EdwinP and @Barbwire

@EdwinP if your devices are communicating with  your One but not with your Surge, it's best to get in touch with Support, so they can further investigate. 

@Barbwire Nice to see you here too! Since your phone Bluetooth bonds with your Surge for call and text notification, it might have some issues connecting with a different device. They will be able to connect if your Surge from the Bluetooth of your phone. Or sync with your phone and use the Ipad to see and add information. It will be up to you. 

Hope this helps! Robot wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the welcome. I have had a Surge for over a year and never had this type of issue syncing to either device. The fact that it syncs to my iPhone but not my iPad tells me this is a fitbit software issue and it is very disconcerting that your answer blithely tells me to sync to my phone and does not attempt to address the issue of syncing to another and my primary's device.

Boo Fitbit support, poorly done.

How can we your customer get this issue diagnosed and fixed?
Best Answer

I tried to search similar issues in Fitbit forum. Apparently, intermittent sync issue is pretty common. I'm surprised that Fitbit still can't resolve this issue. 

It's too bad because I like my Surge. But this will be my last Fitbit product if the issue persist. I shouldn't have switched from Polar. 

Best Answer

Nice to see  you around @EdwinP and @Barbwire! I wanted to share with you some tips and requirements that we need to verify when syncing. 

@Barbwire are you receiving a particular message while syncing? Have you tried the steps this steps to sync? As you mentioned that this just happened recently, I would advice checking updates, in your phone and Fitbit App; to make sure they are up to date. Robot wink

@EdwinP did you contact Customer Support? Did they provide you with information about what to try or why is this happening?

I'll be around, happy stepping! Cat Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're not alone!!! I'm so annoyed by this issue!!!

Best Answer
YoanaFitbit did you read what I have written? I am not ignorant of how to sync my Surge and I am not the only one experiencing this phenomenon. For w year it synced beautifully, then suddenly after a software update It won't sync.
How can you I good concise ask if have followed instructions? Guess you failed to comprehend that it syncs fine on my phone, but not my iPad. Guess you failed to comprehend that the only way to get it to see sync on my iPad is to remove the device and set it up like a new device. Once it syncs a first time the device will no longer be connected and I must remove and set up again. No error messages, just LOOKING.....

Suggest you stop trying to diagnose as you are to being very helpful.
Best Answer

Hi there @Kbauck83! Welcome to the Forums! Sorry you feel that way. Did you tried the steps above? Which model of phone do you have? Are you getting the same message that @Barbwire mentioned? Is your Fitbti Surge restaring when you try that? Smiley Frustrated

@Barbwire Thanks for the clarifications and the details. I would like to clarify that when your Fitbit Surge synced with your iPhone for the first time, it bonded with the Bluetooth as well in order to receive call and text notifications, that's why if you try to sync with any other Bluetooth device your Surge will recognize your iPhone always. Smiley Surprised

If you want to successfully sync with your iPad disable call and text notification on the Fitbit App and remove "Fitbit Surge" from the Bluetooth on your phone. Usually people syncs with the phone, since you take it with you everywhere. If you prefer keep syncing with your iPhone, you can always check the stats in your iPad, as it has a bigger view of the Fitbit App. Smiley Wink

I'll be around, please keep me posted on the resolution! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My charge 2 stopped syncing last Monday. I've tried everything I can find to do but with no success. Please help!

Best Answer

@Stevehg have you tried any of the steps @YojanaFitbit has linked to? 

Best Answer

Hey @Rich_Laue, thanks for helping our friend @Stevehg, so he can get more information on how to help his little buddy! Cat Happy

Please @Stevehg, after trying the steps above, let me know if you're encountering any specific error; or if you keep having the same syncing issues. We're here to help!

Keep me posted with the outcome! Woman Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Charge 3 no longer syncs automatically to my iPhone and iPad. I have to manually set it up daily and I no longer receive text messages on it. This is very frustrating, as I  loved the way it worked , but it just quit. It still works, but the syncing is cumbersome and time consuming. 

Best Answer
0 Votes