Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with Fitbit Surge, no solution

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I also have had problems with more than once Fitbit Surge, they replaced.
Last time I complained new problem in the last Fitbit Surge replaced, they asked me to send the Fitbit Surge to Fitbit. I have not sent because I do not want to spend money to return an item that is always damaged.

I even return the Fitbit Surge if they gave me back the money.

I've tried all of these problems In more than one Fitbit Surge:
- Strap damaged in a short time, and will continue to happen.
- Automatic brightness sensor stop working.
- GPS no  signal. (GPS Died)
- Draining battery.

- Water condensation inside the screen, which causes the touchscreen does not work until condensation disappears.

Aside from all this, if Fitbit Surge does't have all these problems, it would be great.

In short. I am sorry to have spent so much money on crap with so little quality, and with many faults.

Moderator edit: Subject udated for clarity

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

Hi @jomifre I'm sorry to hear that. If you still experiencing any of these issues contact support to review your replacement options. Also, thank you for your feedback, you can be sure the engineers and design team are aware of these issues.

Let me know how it goes!

Rodrigo l Italian & English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Parliamo di calcio Qual è la tua squadra di calcio preferita?

Best Answer

In addition to the problems you listed there is a new one that SEVERELY disables most of the watches functionality. My Surge was working fine when I got it. Then it suddenly would only display the watch screen and the run screen. No setting access, no multisport, just the watch screen and the run screen. Fitbit support (after 40 min. On the phone) finally told me that they had received other complaints about the same issue but was unable to offer me any solution or option. O was so disgusted with the customer service at that point I just hung up.  Lesson learned.

Best Answer

Hi, @ChristopherW, did you try a restart?  That will fix many problems, but you often have to do it several times in a row before it works, so it is worth repeating.

If you are in the European Economic Area your Surge is warranted for two years.  Elsewhere it is one year.  Depending on how long you have had your Surge you may want to give Customer Support another call.  If your Surge is outside of warranty, I think Customer Support will often offer a discount if you want to purchase an outside of warranty replacement.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

My Fitbit Surge is replaced several times and I bought some new ones. Still the same issue. The wrist band is showing after some time a bubble and the day after it is so worse that you are not able to show it to the outside world. I have now more than 6 damaged Surge watches with the same issue. I would recommend not to buy any Surge watch more. Fitbit is promissing all the time that the issue is solved until now without result. My trust in Fitbit is completely gone. 

Best Answer

After 4 times contacting Fitbit support my request for warranty is now in their system. A new Surge or 50% discount on a new model. As the problem with the Surge is not solved I think, a new Charge 2 will be my best choice. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for sharing. I've been having trouble syncing and my gps is way off. I loved it it 3 months ago. But your right it's just not durable or worth the cost. I'd rather spend $40 on a water proof watch and just "know" my trails. 

Best Answer

I've just had my surge replaced for the second time and the one I have recirved has this exact problem. Awaiting a response from FitBit support about it. I took time off work to be there for the deluvery and I can't access any of the functions except run

FItBit initially offered me 50% or replacement or a replacement and I wish I'd chosen the discount now.

Whilst I can't fault their customer service the surge as a product is getting exasperating

Best Answer

@RhiRhiMarie FYI. The Surge has been discontinued and replaced by the Ionic. Good luck.

Fixed wing aircraft (F-4J, F-4S), Fighter Squadrons: VF-171, VF-31, VF-103.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm aware. However they replaced my surge literally less than 48 hours ago. Not even managed two years of having a surge between 3 devices. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Fitbit told me back in June that they were aware of the problem. 3 months later they haven't done anything to fix it. That tells me they have no interest in doing anything about it and customers can go screw themselves, they got their money. Never buying a fitbit product again.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit told me back in June that they were aware of the problem. 3 months later they haven't done anything to fix it. That tells me they have no interest in doing anything about it and customers can go screw themselves, they got their money.  Never buying a fitbit product again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great, I just bought a surge, can't get it to update, keeps giving me an unknown error has occurred message. Consumer reports recommended the surge as a best buy......

Best Answer
0 Votes

They have their new "Ionic" top of the line watch coming out. I'm pretty sure "Surge" owners are basically fu@%ed. Fitbit is going to ignore the issue until we go away. 

Best Answer

I want my money back now

Best Answer

As of today I am no longer accepting Fitbit products as a viable fit solution for me. My Surge worked great for one year. I kept it clean and dry. It’s supposed to handle sweat. But shortly after the warranty had expired, the wrist band began to bubble and peel. Per Customer Service today my warranty was no longer valid, there is no repair center for me to send my watch for repair to, and there are no replacement wrist bands for the Surge. After much deliberation customer service offered me this morning a 25% discount for a new Fitbit product free shipping and a replacement band for any watch I purchase with the exclusion of a Fitbit Surge. So the fix is for me to spend more of my money,  they get to move more product and to heck with my return on my investment. Fitbit lost a buyer today for life. They do not stand behind their poor quality products and they only provide feeble responses that requires the customer to shell out more of their hard earned money. Buyer beware at Fitbit!

Best Answer

Different problem, same solution. I had issues with my fitbit surge as well. I chronicled my problems on my tech blog as well as my final solution, when it became clear that fitbit (I don't capitalize on purpose) was not going to fix an issue that many users reported having for months with their top of the line watch.. I dumped them. It's too bad, they could have been a great company if they stood behind their products.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi,  After having best buy replace my surge several times, I got smart and looked for surge replacement bands. Yes, you can buy replacement bands and they are simple to replace. I now have an ionic and I like it even better than the surge.

Best Answer
0 Votes

the surge was my 2nd Fitbit product and likely my last. I've had it for 2 months and already cannot get it to sync without restarting it each time. when additional issues arise, from all the complaints about the surge I know they will in time, I will purchase from another company. Fitbits are not an inexpensive product and for the price I expected better quality and a product that would not need replaced for a few years at the very least.

Best Answer