Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stairs count not right

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Stairs count not right help

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

It never is. You can climb 10 flights by going outside on a windy day.

Best Answer

Why is this?

Best Answer
It measures a change in atmospheric pressure apparently which is what is happening outside on windy days. If you want to actually know how many times you go upstairs you might as well use an abacus.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​
Best Answer

Hahaha cheers.

Best Answer

Hey there @Mark76 and @Linzbfc! Welcome to the Forums!

Thanks for the information @Linzbfc! That's right @Mark76, it sounds odd but not totally crazy. Floors are tracked by an altimeter, which is a sensor that calculates altitude based on atmospheric pressure, you'll get floors based on the elevation your trackers senses. Being said that, weather change can occasionally cause your tracker to register an extra floor or two, for example as a gust of wind, if you're too close to AC, drive a car with open window, etc.

This happened to me a couple of days ago, it was very windy and it tracked some floors I attacked the picture, maybe the same happended to you. Smiley Embarassed

How to see floors in the Dashboard PC.PNG

If you take a look to your Dashboard online you will see exactly at what time you're getting extra floors, so we can have a clue of what happened in your case.

Keep me posted on the resolution. Smiley Very Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I went up 39 floors just by spending two minutes outside fetching washing off the line. It is not an occasional blip, it happens a lot. Plus it doesn't register if you run up stairs two at  time . I got into the habit of walking up slowly and waving my arm in the air but I can't be bothered anymore. I use an abacus instead.

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​
Best Answer

Hi @Linzbfc, thanks for getting back! 

I'd like to clarify that your tracker detects floors using an altimeter, which is a sensor that calculates altitude change based on atmospheric pressure. It'll register a floor when it detects continuous motion combined with an elevation gain of about 10 feet. Because the tracker looks for continuous motion, pausing too long when going up a flight of stairs can cause the tracker to not count the floor. 

Now, 10 feet is an average between residential and commercial floor heights. If the floors you're climbing are shorter than 10 feet, you may find that the Fitbit tracker's floor count doesn't exactly match how many floors you've gone up. For example, if you climb 3 floors that are 8 feet tall (for a total gain of 24 feet), then the Fitbit tracker might only tell you 2 floors because it assumes that each floor is 10 feet tall.

Another cause of inaccurate floors is moisture. For example, the pathway to the altimeter on the back of your tracker can become clogged temporarily with sweat, you can take a moment to clean it up up. We recommend that your tracker be worn loosely during exercise.

After doing so you can perform an accuracy test with your Surge. 

1. Find a location where you have 2 flights of stairs in a row. Each flight of stairs should be at least 10 feet tall. 
2. Place your tracker on your belt/waistband and check the number of floors before you begin to walk. 
3. Walk up the 2 flights in a row, trying not to stop at any point.
4. Once you reach the top of both flights of stairs, stop to look at the number counted.

Hope this helps! Woman Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes