Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Display Screen Shattered/Damaged?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had my fitbit Surge for a little over a year and have nothing but great things to say for the device.  I woke up one morning and the internal display screen had horizontal and vertical cracks throughout the whole thing (see attached photos).  Very bizarre, not sure what would have caused this, and I was not wearing the unit at the time this happened.  

Cracked Display ScreenDisplay Screen Shattered

The touchscreen works fine without any problems and the visible cracks/shatters cannot be felt as they are internal and beneath the protective outer screen.  

I am reaching out to the fitbit community because I love this device, I love the company, and I love the community, but I would love to figure out why/how this happened and what can be done to fix this issue.  And I have already contacted customer support and the tracker is out of warrenty and I do not have the income to purchase an entirely new unit at the moment.

All information, support, and advice is welcome! I should be around to continue the conversation.

Best Answer
76 REPLIES 76

A warm welcome to the Fitbit Community @fletcherRVAFirst of all, thank you for reaching out to our Customer Support team about your Surge's screen and checking on your warranty status.  

This situation strikes me as an odd case because the Surge’s screen is made of Gorilla glass, which is the standard across a number of other portable electronic devices including mobile phones, portable media players, laptop computer displays, and some television screens. Unfortunately the cracked glass is unrepairable. 

Next, let's find out the possible scenarios as to what might've happened; you mentioned that you weren't wearing the Surge at that time. Do you think that your tracker might've been dropped? Was it under heavy vibration (like a jackhammer or a lawnmower)? Was it under extreme weather? How did you notice the sceen shattered? 

Let's get more information on what might've happened; have a great day! Smiley Very Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer

I have exactly the same problem. I was wearing my watch at the time. Was on holiday - wanted to go for a run in the morning - and saw the screen when I try to set it for my run. The screen below the main screen is shattered. I have approach some of your agents and emailed you several times but no one seems to get back to me. I also love my watch .

Best Answer

A warm welcome to our Fitbit Community family @Ursula5Cat Happy

Sorry for the issues with your Surge! Thanks for the feedback, it's very important to us to have your thoughts in regards our product and your customer support interactions. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for next steps. Usually email interaction takes around 48 hours, so I'm sure they will be contacting you back shortly. Please avoid sending multiple contacts that might cause delay on the response.

Good to know that you love your Surge! Keep me posted! Heart

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Hi

Today I noticed too that my fitbit surge screen starting to shattered from inside 😞

Best Answer

I had the same issue with the screen. I believe that sweat had entered the pinhole where the altimeter is and water vapor made it's way into the electronics and eventually the screen.

Nothing on the touch screen works. The back light no longer works. Couldn't even read the information on the screen in good light conditions. Tried drying it out and resetting the device. After 18 months of use, all hope is now lost in recovering the Surge. 

Threw in the towel in fighting the Surge to work as it's supposed to and down graded to a Charge 2. A lower cost device, with the same and better functions to the Surge. 

Moderator edit: Word Choice and format.

Best Answer

Hi @adi19, on behalf of all our Fitbitters friends, I welcome you! Please keep an eye on your inbox since I've requested a case for you and our Support Team will be taking your situations under its wings. If you have more questions please let me know! Smiley Wink

@steveting99 Sorry to hear that your couldn't keep using your Surge as this is no longer responding, we appreciate your feedback! If I can further help with anything else, please let me know!

I'll be around! Cat Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
@steveting99, your explanation makes a lot of sense to what just happened to my surge. I had it for at least 1.5 years and the day before the screen cracked like spiderwebs, I noticed there was a little moisture and condensation at the center of the screen, which I thought it was odd. The next day when I woke up to put on the watch, it had the spiderweb cracks. Touchscreen no longer works.
Best Answer

Thanks for stopping by @spikyhead3! Welcome to the Forums! Smiley Happy

I'd recommend wait until you get the information from our team, as I've requested them to create a case on your behalf. You should soon receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums.

I'll around in case that you need anything else! Woman Happy

Best Answer

Hi,

I am facing the exact same issue with my Surge. One fine morning the spiderweb cracks appeared on the screen. The touch screen works okay, so does the back light. Please let me know if there is a resolution to this issue.

Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forum @! So glad to have you here. 

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention. I've requested to our support team to create a case on your behalf. You should soon receive an email from customer support at the email you used to register with the Community Forums.

Please keep me posted! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Just noticed exactly the same thing ... a little moisture last week, and all of a sudden, screen is all cracked

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's nice to see you around @jegeagles, welcome aboard!

Thanks for reaching out the Forums to report this. I've requested a case for you, our team will be contacting you via email shortly. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here.

Let me know if you have questions about it. 

Best Answer

Hi was any resolution to the Fitbit Surge screen made? My surge just had the same exact thing happen to it a couple of days ago. I am trying to figure out if it can be fixed or if I have to buy a whole new watch altogether... please advise.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Unfortunately there is no resolution. My fitbit is still working though
inspite of the damaged screen.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to see you in the Community @emagas! Thanks for sharing your experience @Avishek.

Thanks for reaching out the Forums. In regards to your inquiry, Fitbit doesn't have a repair center since all users have the option to get help from our customer support team; I've got in touch with them and they will be contacting you shortly. 

Let me know if you have questions about it.

Best Answer

I had the same thing happen to my Surge.  It was great for about 2 years. Then this happened.  I called Fitbit and they will only offer me a discount on a new product since they only stand behind their products for a year.  I'm a proud owner of an Apple Watch now and love it! 

Best Answer

A warm welcome to the Fitbit Community @AppleWatchUser1. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I'll definitely pass it along to our team. Your feedback is really important for us.

Thanks for reaching out the Forums. 

Best Answer

Hi i feel for you today 06/1018 i woke up and the exact same thing has happened to me. its not your fault. I think its a problem with all fitbit surges or certain batches, It is very annoying that this is happening when the watch is out of warranty. It aint fair. I will be looking into the issue with trading standards or what ever they are called. I think there is rights has a consumer after the warranty runs out you can still get action. im fuming its a issue with the manufactures not the consumer. it happened today for me too. i woke up and the screen was slightly cracked but during the day the crack spread. so dont say its our faults

Best Answer

Hope you are doing great and enjoying some healthy activities @GAWA99. Welcome to the Forums! Robot Happy

We're glad to see you around, thank you for the thorough feedback for the Fitbit environment, customer service and devices. This has not gone unnoticed and be sure that I will pass this along.

We don't want to create frustration in our customers. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here.

One more thing to mention is that you can always read the Returns and Warranty policies from Fitbit so you can have a better understanding of the response they provided you. If you have additional questions in regards of your options, please feel free to contact them back to get more information about it. Fitbit as any other company have policies to follow through.  And while customer satisfaction remains our number one goal, the demands of running a global business require that we enforce our warranty consistently.   

I'll be around in case that you have additional questions and thanks again for your participation in the community!

Best Answer