Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Display Screen Shattered/Damaged?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had my fitbit Surge for a little over a year and have nothing but great things to say for the device.  I woke up one morning and the internal display screen had horizontal and vertical cracks throughout the whole thing (see attached photos).  Very bizarre, not sure what would have caused this, and I was not wearing the unit at the time this happened.  

Cracked Display ScreenDisplay Screen Shattered

The touchscreen works fine without any problems and the visible cracks/shatters cannot be felt as they are internal and beneath the protective outer screen.  

I am reaching out to the fitbit community because I love this device, I love the company, and I love the community, but I would love to figure out why/how this happened and what can be done to fix this issue.  And I have already contacted customer support and the tracker is out of warrenty and I do not have the income to purchase an entirely new unit at the moment.

All information, support, and advice is welcome! I should be around to continue the conversation.

Best Answer
76 REPLIES 76
Hi thanks for your message.
When companies do not admit their design faults or repair resonsibilities having made their fortune in beta testing products we all deserve a credit (against new version) or repair.
You are right they will loose market place and go out of business but not until the owners have siphoned off millions for their life styles.
Way of big business nowadays I’m afraid! They should be force to deposit monies in a repair slush fund!
Rich

Richard Kirby
Please excuse any Typos and predictive text from my phone.
Best Answer
I think when the mist appears one must not charge the surge but let its power run down till mist disappears.
Rich

Richard Kirby
Best Answer
0 Votes

Sweat has entered it and caused the "cracking".  I've had it happen to 2 of mine.  They no longer swipe, but the time still works.  A rather expensive watch that only tells time now.  Lovely to have a sports watch that you can't sweat in isn't it?

Best Answer
Agree at least it still links to app and can use it to collect Vitality points.
Rich

Richard Kirby
Best Answer

Have the same issue. Was wearing Fitbit while out for a walk and noticed all the cracks. It still works but is difficult to see. Is it time to go with Apple Watch? Really liked Fitbit have had it 2 1/2 years. No real issues other than twice having to replace wrist band. Would hope that Fitbit stands behind their product , device crapped out through no fault of the user. 

Best Answer

My fitbit surge had the same problem. Worked fine for 3 years plus then woke up to spider web crazing on inner screen. Fitbit knows of the problem, a design problem but won't do nothing about it, and a £200 it's a lot of money to pay for a watch that WILL go wrong in the future. DO NOT BUY ANY FITBIT WATCHES. I was very happy with the watch but know there are Lots of people with this problem and then we get people like you that try wear people down with their complaints with O Really how did that happen, having heard that fault before. FITBIT SORT YOUR PRODUCT OUT that you charge big money for and give people with this problem a free fix for their watch 

Best Answer
0 Votes

And the only way to beat them is tell every one you know not to buy a fitbit product because they won't last even if you look after them.  Regards

Best Answer

Same problem for me.  Started with one corner area but spread to entire screen over a couple days.  Swipe no longer works.  Can't figure out how to turn it off.

Best Answer

Surge, internal cracked screen, is no longer under warranty, touch screen does not work. I use a “plug” to cover the connection, so sweat & dirt can not get in. Now, it is not charging. Yes I have cleaned the connections, used 3 different cable, 3 different plug in (all work)  yes it is connected securely, yes I have left it plugged in long enough (3hrs!)

No it was now “ traumatized in anyway”. I called about the cracked screen, I called twice about it not charging.  The first call they offered me 50% off a new, not surge, Fitbit, today it was a, I think it was 25% off a new, not surge Fitbit  I do not want the newer ones, I like & have accessories for this one, I don’t like nor can I afford a different new one.  Now what?

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you want to get your Surge repaired, you must ignore FitBit as they don’t repair, support, or even sell them any more. Instead, try JoesGE.com. A screen replacement is $55, complete including shipping both ways. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you so much, I will check in to that. I do like my surge, I do not
want a new model, I am old and sort of set in my ways J
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yeah, me too, J. My Surge does everything I want, and my daughter and son-in-law got it for me for Christmas a few years ago, so I’m attached.

Best Answer
0 Votes
L I hope this does not happen to yours. I so liked mine, but it is now
dead. RIP Surgie. Now what to do with the extra bands and the little plug
things that kept the connection on the watch clean?
Best Answer
0 Votes

J ?

Did you go to JoesGE.com? If you’re resigned to throw it away, You have nothing to lose if you send it in to them and let them check it out. They pay for postage! You pay nothing if they can’t fix it. But I bet they can. They’ve replaced screens, batteries, and a main board (I thought that one was dead) among the two Surges I have (got another one from FitBit free when the first one’s band wore out). I’m rough on them, but they both run good as new. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you for the info. That is good to hear. I got busy today, and was
unable to look it up. It is on the top of my list to do, will try tomorrow,
if not then Monday.

There is hope for my dead Surge!! J
Best Answer
0 Votes

I purchased my surge December 2015 and the cracked screen and moisture happened 2 days ago. Almost made it to 4 years.  I did buy at a discount on ebay (under $100) so I did not spend the full amount.  They did offer a 25% discount and I did purchase another product that is waterproof.  The fact that it lasted almost 4 years is why I decided to give them another try.  The only bad thing is that I was in the middle of a contest and was leading by 15k.  Now none of the data for the last few days will sync - can't swipe to pair with Bluetooth. Ill just start over when I get the new one.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry but gave up with Fitbit and use my Apple Watch now!

Richard Kirby
Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having exactly the same problem with my Fitbit surge. The screen is all shattered despite not being dropped or hit. 
It will no longer allow me to scroll between screens. 
how can I get this fixed? I love my watch and would like to continue being able to use it. 
thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Jag

If you like your Surge (like I do) despite its shortcomings with regards to longevity, you can send it to JoesGE and get the screen replaced. $55, total. Easy process;  they pay pay for shipping both ways. Good people to work with. If you go back in this thread, I’ve posted on this before. If your battery life is declining, you might have them replace it as well. And if the day comes your Surge completely dies, they can replace the main board too. I’ve had them do all those things between the two Surges I have (got one free from FitBit) and they both work fine. You can be happy with these watches if you want to be. And if you can’t, yep, there are plenty of other brands out there. Do what makes you happy. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had a reply that offer a us repair solution for $55. See my replies for link. Hope it help
Rich

Richard Kirby
Best Answer
0 Votes