Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge Display Screen Shattered/Damaged?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have had my fitbit Surge for a little over a year and have nothing but great things to say for the device.  I woke up one morning and the internal display screen had horizontal and vertical cracks throughout the whole thing (see attached photos).  Very bizarre, not sure what would have caused this, and I was not wearing the unit at the time this happened.  

Cracked Display ScreenDisplay Screen Shattered

The touchscreen works fine without any problems and the visible cracks/shatters cannot be felt as they are internal and beneath the protective outer screen.  

I am reaching out to the fitbit community because I love this device, I love the company, and I love the community, but I would love to figure out why/how this happened and what can be done to fix this issue.  And I have already contacted customer support and the tracker is out of warrenty and I do not have the income to purchase an entirely new unit at the moment.

All information, support, and advice is welcome! I should be around to continue the conversation.

Best Answer
76 REPLIES 76

I just had the same experience....yesterday I noticed some moisture under the screen while I was running. This morning when I woke up it looks like the screen has been shattered. I've had it over 2 yrs and have really enjoyed this watch. Is there any fix for this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Unfortunately no. All I got from Fitbit is a discount for a new one. 🤷🏽‍:male_sign:

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks....Been thinking about getting a garmin anyway.

Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @mlee_2000! Thanks jumping in @emagas.

Thanks for reporting the issues with your Surge. I've requested a case for you, our team will be contacting you via email shortly. Thanks for confirming, anything that you need let me know. Fitbit has been designed to provide motivation and help you to reach your daily goals to success. Please know that we provide feedback to our team based on community posts and we are always working on improving our devices and overall environment based on what you share here.

Thank you for your understanding.

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello,

same here. After 3 and half year, last week these cracks appear. Well, I'm just little disappointed with this approach. Bands for this watch are very defective,problems with notifications on Android 8.0, implementations of new function since 2015 on ground zero. For the top products seems little more problems at the same time. Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too have the same situation with the surge. If you would tilt the screen, you might notice there is multiple micro hairline cracks inside the screen, it's below the protective glass. I suspect the digitizer is damage. Swipe function is horrible, do not really response to touch. Side button still works perfectly. The device do not sync well too, took me multiple time to pair it with my iphone 6s Plus, hardly able to get the data in the watch to be transferred into the phone. It got disconnect at 70% data transfer transfer. Any help from Fitbit?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I love my fit bit surge I've had a for approx. Me 3 years where it all the time for workouts and every day I had the same problem moisture got in the screen cracked it still seems to work but I have no access to display to change modes would really like to get this resolved  also the band is broken

Best Answer
0 Votes

Bought my new Surge watch about 2 weeks ago from a friend, but the same thing happened to me this past weekend! It appears the water resistant watch couldn’t hold up to me washing my face. I saw moisture in the watchface, and decided that soaking it in rice would be my best option. Now that it has soaked in rice overnight, I see those little shatters under the top screen! Touch screen does not appear to be functional anymore. Really disappointed to have my watch malfunctioning only after having it for a few weeks 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the spiderweb problem as well. About half of my screen has them, in a swirl-like pattern. I’m not sure they are cracks, per se, but maybe delaminations in the screen stack. My Surge works, other than having great difficulty in swiping across to new menus. Not a huge problem, since I can still track runs, and other data is still being collected. But a nuisance, nonetheless. Anybody know of someplace that can refurbish these things? I have another Surge which only gives me the logo. Charges okay, and lights up, but will not boot up, no matter what I do. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, same thing happened to me after sweat had caused the screen to have condensation on it internally. I don’t understand also how a waterproof device can have this sort of damage. It’s like the screen has shattered like a windscreen on the inside but not the outside surface. I think this is a manufacturers fault or certainly a problem with the device and I am looking into contacting customer services to report the problem and see if they would replace the screen I would advise you do the same to report this is a design fault 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi it has a common problem here not physical damage but water ingress and often after a sweaty wrist creates a misty inside screen. Then the power and heat causes the screen to shatter. As they are supposed to be water proof this is a fault and like mine should be replaced free of charge. It does not result after a knock or dropping but due to moisture inside the devise and internal damage.  

Best Answer

This is a common fault and Fitbit know about it. The device is designed for sweaty hot conditions and is a result of damp ingress through the seals of the watch and expansion and contraction of the screens as it dries within the screen housing on the inside. 

Best Answer

This is a manufacture error and not fit for purpose. Your advice about the pin hole would explain the source of the water ingress. Surge must know about this and should replace free of charge and sort the problem out. This is not a cheap product and I will not buy again. 

My only consolation is that the link to my  iPhone app means I don’t loose the data and my Vitality points!!!

vitallity should also put pressure on Fitbit as I don’t want to use my Apple Watch to count steps as it counts 10% less than the Fitbit!

Best Answer

Don’t don’t don’t charge ones Fitbit when there is mist on. The inside of the screen. 

Rich

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can buy a replacement screen and fit but it is fiddly. Watch on YouTube how to do it

Best Answer
0 Votes

Beware Apple Watch counts 10% less steps than Fitbit 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Surely if you know there is a design fault as a responsible manufacturer you should offer a fix or call back and replace of product. People rely on these devises that are linked to other service providers and rewards. It’s not fair to leave it unresolved. I have given several causes explanation suggestions for avoiding like don’t charge if any sign of dampness INDIDE THE WSTCJ bit I have heard or seen nothing from Fitbitt to warn customers. Might be a worldwide company but a very small size response to the problem. Maybe it’s a big cost to resolve so a solution is not desirable. Very dissatisfied pointed with company response. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the same problem. Mine did this yesterday

Best Answer
0 Votes
It is beyond clear that FitBit has no intention of acknowledging this design flaw, and is instead choosing to simply lose customers (as they have in me).  I find a small amount of joy in believing that this absolute lack of customer service will be their undoing, and they will simply go out of business as customers move to one of the many other higher quality, and more reliable, options out there for fitness/smart watches.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

You can grouse about the fact that FitBit has dropped this product and support as others have and go to another Tracker make, or, if you like your Surge and are willing to spend a fee extra bucks (as compared with buying a new tracker), you can keep it going indefinitely. Check out JoesGE.com. I have had excellent experiences with them. New batteries, screens, main boards. Bands I do myself; get them from Amazon, and I get band covers too, which make the bands last longer. I have 2 Surges (FitBit just sent me a new one without asking for the first, because they don’t service them) both in excellent condition after relatively inexpensive refurbishment at Joe’s.

Best Answer
0 Votes