Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge display artifacts

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

After a few hours/half day use my Surge starts to switch off various horizontal lines on the display* up to a point where the whole screen goes blank. When I press a button or swipe the glass the screen updates (graphic reappears) but only 'where needed', typically the top and bottom parts of the display stay empy. Background lightining and all measure functions still work normally, just screen refreshing fails.

I can fix this problem temporarily by turning off the device at least for a few minutes, the more it stays turned off (a few hours) the longer the fix holds. So after all I can still use the device but I wonder if there is a known permanent solution for this issue.

Thanks!

*see photo attached

Missing horizontal lines after a few hours of operationMissing horizontal lines after a few hours of operation

Ionic with Oneplus 2 (haha, can't sync, no notifications, so I have to use my old iPad 4)
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I've noticed you are new around @LaszloPrekop, so let me give you a warm welcome to our Community. Heart

Sorry for the issues with your Surge! Thanks for the steps that you've tried to solve the issue! Keep an eye on your email inbox for next steps!

I'll be around in case that you have questions about it. Cat Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
20 REPLIES 20

You can try restarting it: restart

Best Answer

Thanks for the tip, but turning off for a longer period is better than a simple quick restart, right?

Any more ideas? I start to think that the waterproof sealing of the device got damaged over time, so water/sweat gets into the housing and causes poor display connection, so horizontal lines start to fail one by one (again, see original photo attached).

Ionic with Oneplus 2 (haha, can't sync, no notifications, so I have to use my old iPad 4)
Best Answer

I've noticed you are new around @LaszloPrekop, so let me give you a warm welcome to our Community. Heart

Sorry for the issues with your Surge! Thanks for the steps that you've tried to solve the issue! Keep an eye on your email inbox for next steps!

I'll be around in case that you have questions about it. Cat Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

I have the same problem. all my dashboard vanish but heart rate tracking still work.

what should I do. please suggest me.

Thank

Best Answer

Thanks for joining us! How you doing @UttoodCat Happy

So glad to see your post! Please restat your Surge a  couple of times. How old is your Surge?

If it is more than 6 months old, clean the charging contacts on the back of your Surge. These contacts can become obstructed by microscopic dirt or debris that prevents them from making a good connection to the charger. Use a toothpick or toothbrush to clean the charging contacts; do not scrape them with anything metal because this may damage the plating and result in corrosion. 

We recommend plugging your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or other low-energy device. If necessary, you can use a UL-certified USB wall charger. Don't use a USB hub or battery pack to charge, and only use the charging cable that came with your tracker. I'd like to know if you're getting the full battery sign after charging your Surge for 3 hours. Then you can force sync your Surge to see if it is connecting. 

Please keep me posted! Woman Wink

Best Answer

I'm also seeing this issue with my Fitbit surge. Usually the screen blanks out quicker if I'm tracking a workout. Is there a resolution to this issue. I've been able to confirm through my phone syncing that it is getting a charge.

Best Answer

Halo, @Joshua1985 thanks for stopping by! Thank you for your participation in the forums! Woman Very Happy

If you keep having issues with the display of your Surge, I'd suggest restart your tracker a couple of times. This is not an expected behavior from your tracker, but it should solve the issue in case that it's a hardware issue.

Please let me know how it works! Cat Happy 

Best Answer

Hi Yojana,

Thanks for getting back to me on this issue! I restarted several times and unfortunately within an hour the issue has occurred again Smiley Sad

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back @Joshua1985! Too bad this doesn't work! Woman Embarassed

Since your Surge is still having display issues, I've created a Support Case on your behalf, you should soon receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums.

Please let me know if you have questions about it! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Hi everyone, i have the same issue! After all, there is a solution  to resolve this issue???. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey dancosmin, 

The solution to my original problem was that I was eligible for a replacement unit (I was still in the 2 year warranty period). So there was no software fix, nor hardware repair, nothing, only full unit replacement. I was still extremely happy and satisfied with this solution at that time.
Fast forward to december of 2017: the replacement unit started to show the exact same defects after 8 month usage but this time I was not eligible for a replacement (I run out of the 2 year warranty since is counted from the original units activation). I was offered a one time discount from the price of one of the lower tier fitness trackers, which I passed and went for a full price Ionic. So basically I gave Fitbit another chance, if Ionic* fails on me too, this was the last Fitbit device I gave money for.
My advice to you: contact Fitbit support with your problem, make some photos and/or videos where you can clearly demonstrate the screen defects and if they offer, pass on Surge replacement, and choose the  discount on another tracker instead.

*I loved my Surge, I was very satisfied with it besides the screen failure, but Ionic is definitely a big step up. Lighter, the screen is superior, the tracking functions are more refined, the wrist band is more comfortable, battery life is way better and the charging connector is not fiddly anymore (yay!). My hope is that it will last for 2-3 years without any problems.

Best Answer

Thanks for visiting the Forums @dancosmin, hope you're enjoying your day @LaszloPrekopCat Happy

@dancosmin Due to the information that you're providing, I'm requesting a new case for you; so you can give more details of the issues you're having with your Surge. Please wait for a follow up email, you should get it shortly.

@LaszloPrekop Thanks a million for your feedback, your comments are important for us, I really hope you can enjoy your new Fitbit Ionic. Please feel free to come back if you have questions.

I'll be around. Smiley Happy

Best Answer

@YojanaFitbit Have noticed similar issues with my Surge the past few days. Currently at step 1 (restart) of the solution. Will monitor it for a while. 

Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums @ask118, let me give you a warm welcome to our Community. Woman Very Happy

Thanks for posting you comment, please keep an eye on your Surge and let me know if you have questions about it. Hopefully it will be working just fine after the restart.

I'll be around. Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Hello!! I was wondering how I can get help as well. My fitbit is doing the exact same thing.

Best Answer

Hi @daisypinkrose, it's great to see that you've visited the Fitbit Community, welcome! Smiley Happy

Thanks for posting your inquiry here, for you to have the best possible experience; I've requested to our support team to create a case on your behalf. You should soon receive an email from customer support at the email you used to register with the Community Forums.

Let me know if you have questions about it. 

Best Answer

Yojana, will you open a new case on behalf of my Fitbit surge. It has the same issue. I already started a case on 7/17/18. This is my second surge replacement already. They said my original purchase is out of the warranty period. 

However, I never took pictures or anything to ellaborate the true problem. Do you think they might make an exception or not? This Fitbit isn’t even 4- months old. What to do!? 

Thanks! 

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back @SunsetRunner! Thank you very much for confirming those details. I requested a case with our team, so you will be contacted shortly. I hope they can help you out with your Surge. Let me know if you need anything else.

I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello! 

I am also experiencing this issue with my Fitbit. I’ve attempted to reset multiple times, yet it still shows signs of artifacts as I scroll. This is a replacement Fitbit from a previous one with a broken band. 

Best Answer