Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surge experience

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Started with a charge, loved it but wanted the heart rate feature, so bought the surge last year. For 9 1/2 months, not a single issue, but within the last 2 weeks every single thing that can go wrong has gone wrong..Can't swipe between screens, won't sync on its own, battery barely gets through 1 day. Seems like everything happened after the last couple of app updates, but it just may be coincedence. The only thing I haven't seen is band breakage. On the positive side, Fitbit stands by the 1 year warrenty and a new surge shipped yesterday, but if I see the same results 1 year down the line, I will be looking for another vendor for my health related gadgets. Am I right to believe a $250.00 product ought to last for a couple of years without any major issues? I mean this thing does get used 24/7, it's with me when it's cold/hot, in the shower, outside in the sun or rain, every bump, step, walk, run, etc..Ok, not really a rant, but I hope the replacement keeps me happy for the next few years. Emujo

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hi, @Emujo, sounds like you have loved your Surge and you have had a good experience with Customer Support.  

As you say, your ur Surge has been cold, hot, wet (though it isn't really supposed to be in the shower with you), outside in sun and rain, along every bumpy terrain... 24/7

It seems it lasted only 9.5 months which is 86.5 cents a day.  You and Fitbit agreed that that was unreasonable, and too expensive, and they sent you a new one -- quite right -- it didn't last the 12 months it was warranted.

Hopefully your new one will last at least a year, or even more, because a year is meant to be the minimum.  But suppose it lasts exactly the same as your old Fitbit, 9.5 months, not even one further year.  

Then you will have had your buddy for 19 months at just over 43 cents a day.

And in that case you will be look for another vendor?

I just thought doing the math would create a different perspective.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
Great response, and some good points to think about. One of the main things
I enjoy with the surge and fitbit app is the badges. Oh sure, a little
cheesy, but still, I can barely wait for the next one (Nile is taking its
sweet time), and for me, they are very positive motivators. Let's hope I
don't have to make that decision. Thanks for your reply. Emujo
Best Answer

So the new Surge should be here on Friday...Just took a close look at the band, and it is also starting to detach at the casing. So now I am experiencing all that can go wrong. Emujo

Best Answer

Woo Hoo!!!, replacement arrived on Friday. You have to see it to believe just how bad the old one had gotten. It syncs when I ask it to, the music control works again, battery went all weekend w/o needing a charge. Thanks Fitbit for stepping up to the plate. Let's hope we don't have to go through this again..Emujo

Best Answer

Hi there @Emujo, I'm so glad to see that you're back on track! Thanks a million @Julia_G, as good as always! Heart

@Emujo I hope you continue enjoying your Fitbit Surge and if you have the time please take a look of these tips to take care of your little buddy. Feel free to post back in case that you need anything else or if you just want to exchange thoughts about your experience you can go to our Discussions board, in case that you haven't.

There is a really good chance for you to like it. Check it out! You might be interested in these topics: Marathon Training or How do you break out of your sedentary lifestyle?

Happy stepping! Smiley Very Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It won't last. My replacement lasted only 6 months and now the band is breaking.  $250 down the drain since they won't do anything now.  I will now get a Garmin, they stand by their products.  

Best Answer

Hi there @triathlete4! Nice to see you again here! Smiley Happy

I will definitely pass all this feedback along to our engineering team; we do take all of your feedback seriously. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Did you contact our support group already? I'm sure they will glad to give you all the information that you need based in your Fitbit warranty.

Please keep me posted! Woman Happy

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Replacement strap also broken in 4 months time. It's bubbles everywhere. Looks like a very cheap stuff - Fitbit support says they don't have the replacement- only tangerine colour they have - as if they are waiting for people to complain and that way they will clear their damaged and faulty strap. Really a waste of money - would recommend others too to stay away ..there are much better similar products available in market that look good and would defiantly last more than 6 months! 

Best Answer

My band has torn too, and they have offered me either a replacement Surge for free, or a Fitbit Charge 2 at a 30% discount. I am going for the Charge 2, it is less bulky and I can wear it under a shirt cuff at work without it being too noticeable. I have never really used the inbuilt GPS feature enough so I can justify losing that advantage and relying on my iPhone GPS to sync up with the Charge 2 instead.

Best Answer

@mnmio15: I believe the Charge 2 would indeed be a better fit given your use. I use GPS almost daily, which is why I still stick to the Surge as my main tracker, but I’m also wearing a Charge 2 (one on each hand!) to hedge my bets Smiley LOL. I like reminders to move and cardio fitness score, for instance. Not to speak of the forthcoming support for sleep stages...

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @Bhasky_designer, @mnmio15 and @Dominique. ! Welcome to the Family @Bhasky_designerHeart

Thanks a million for your comment. I wanted to thank all of you for the time you took to share your thoughts with us. I assure you that we take in consideration all the feedback our users provide and we're working everyday to be the best fitness company. Please keep an eye in your email inbox, you will get some information in regards of your case! Cat Wink

I totally agree with @Dominique! I think that Charge 2 will be a really good experience for you. Once you've received your new buddy, please come back to tell us your experience! Smiley Very Happy

I'll be around! Woman Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes