Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Switchr app - anyone getting it to work?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have a number of smart home devices (WeMo, TP-Link, etc.) as well as an Amazon Echo Dot. I would love to use the Switchr app to control these devices from my Ionic. Is there anyone out there who is successfully using Switchr and could give me some step-by-step instructions? The app says you simply go to IFTTT and create a "web hook." I spent an hour on IFTTT's sight trying to figure out how to do that -- with no luck. Any guidance for an IFTTT noobie would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer
64 REPLIES 64

i was able to create the applet and webhook to turn my master light on and off. . .if you still want help let me know

discord adobereader itunes 

Best Answer

Yes, please!!

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

That would be great! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

When I go to the IF spot, it wants me to pick a service. It won't let me enter in a title.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there everyone and welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community @neyla12. My apologies for the late response, but I couldn't help not noticing that you have found the solution @neyla12.

If you are okay with this, feel free to post your workaround. This topic has been around and it might be of great help for other participants that are looking for an answer. Unfortunately this is out of our hands to offer any solution in our end.

See you all around and stay awesome!

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone who contributed to this post. I spent some time going through it to figure it out to setup my scenario. I have to say I don't find IFTTT user friendly, at least maybe not for newbies.

If anyone else is wondering or having problems, my scenario is to use Switchr app to toggle my Lifx lights through my Fitbit Versa. So here is a complete newbie step-by-step guide to setup a button using Switchr to trigger your lights (assuming other services would be similar).

1. Obviously you need to sign up to IFTTT, do that.
  2. Once you are signed in to IFTTT, click on your profile and select 'Services' or just click on 'My Applets' in the menu.
  3. This page has 2 big tabs which are 'Applets' and 'Services'. Under 'Services' we want to connect the external services to be used within IFTTT so they can communicate with each other. In my case they were 'Webhooks' and 'Lifx'. Webhooks is used by the switchr app as a trigger, and lifx is what I want to control. Go through their activation process to activate them under your IFTTT profile.
  4. Check your connections and make sure if everything is hunky dory. To do this, click on ‘My applets’ in main menu, select ‘Services’ tab and look for your desired service (Webhooks, lifx, etc.). Click on their icon to see their page. On top right, you’ll see ‘Documentation’ and ‘Settings’. Clicking on ‘Settings’ will display a page which has ‘Account Info’. You should see Status: active.
  5. Now that our services are active, we need to create an applet. Under ‘My Applets’ page ‘Applets’ tab, click ‘New Applet’ button on top right.
  6. There’s a big ‘if +this then that’ text, click ‘+this’.
  7. Select ‘Webhooks’
  8. Select ‘Receive a web request’
  9. On next page you’ll be asked to enter an ‘Event name’, enter something relevant like ‘toggle_lounge_lights’, do not use space between words.
  10. We are taken back to ‘if …. then +that’, now click on ‘+that’
  11. Select your desired service you want to control, in my case ‘Lifx’
  12. Find your recipe within your service, in my case ‘Toggle lights on/off’ and go through the setup with your preferred options and finalise your applet.
  13. For me the tricky bit started here. I highly recommend using your phone or tablet which you use the fitbit app because you will be copying and pasting long-ish url’s between webpages and switchr app. Now we have our services connected and an applet set to toggle lights. You should see your applet under ‘My Applets’ > ‘Applets tab.
  14. Go to ‘Services’ tab, find and click on ‘Webhooks’, then click on ‘Settings’ near ‘Documentation’ on next page.
  15. You’ll see a ‘URL’ under ‘Account Info’, copy that URL which starts with https://maker.ifttt.com/use/ and paste it in your browser’s address bar and go to that page.
  16. In this page you’ll enter the ‘event name’ you created while creating the applet where it says { event } This is right below ‘Make a POST or GET web request to:’. In my case it is ‘toggle_lounge_lights’ so I enter that into the text field.
  17. Now, if you set it all up correctly you can click on ‘Test it’ button to see if your applet is working. There’s a 3-5 second lag in my case. So if your lights are turning on and off then you are all set to set up your button within Switchr app. If not just double check your applet setup and check if your services have an active status.
  18. Copy the url you just created which has your event name. You can see the whole thing under the line ‘curl –x post’, starting with https//maker.ifttt.com/trigger/… this is what you want.
  19. On your Fitbit app, select your device, go to ‘Apps’, ‘switchr’, then ‘Settings’.
  20. Below instructions you can define your buttons. Select a button and tap on URL, and paste the URL you copied. Enter a reasonable name and select your desired colour.
  21. Fire up the switchr app on your Versa, you should see your button, tap on it and wait 3-5 seconds to see your light go on or off.
  22. Take a deep slightly satisfied yet annoyed sigh and shake your head wondering why this is so hard in 2018.

Hope this helps.

Best Answer

Awesome!! Thanks.  I now have a light I can turn on from my watch

First world problems eh?? 🙂

Best Answer

Let's just say 'I spent an hour trying to turn my lounge lights on with my watch' is not a line I use everyday Smiley Very Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @kaangaroo! Hello @h6oly.

@kaangaroo, thanks for sharing all of those steps, I'm sure that other users will find them useful.

If you have the time, maybe you could visit one of our Discussion boards. Lots of topics to talk about in there, I'm sure there is something that might spark your interest.

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks all. I was not able to test but happy that it works...will test later

Eddy
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for all your help. IFTTT did not have a 'Webhooks' and 'Lifx' option...? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m guessing they are not displayed within the first set of services which are loaded. I’d say try clicking on ‘all services’ at the end of services list to see everything. Alternatively you can search for them using the filter text field at the top of services page. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there anyway the app can be updated to have more buttons/toggles may be a scroll bar or tabs

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @RA24@kaangaroo@EddyBin and @Musica_Strength.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on the matter.

@RA24 In this case, are you referring to the Fitbit app? It is not possible to edit the app like that but maybe you could post your ideas in our Feature Suggestions board. Other users could vote or comment on your idea to show their support. Be sure to read the FAQ if you have any questions on how that board works.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a webhook that works to toggle my lamp, and it works when I use the command line using curl -X POST

But when I save the url above in Switchr, it doesn't trigger. Any ideas?

Moderator edit: Removed links

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @Marauder2.

I think that questions regarding developed integrations are better suited for our API board. I'm sure that you will get better insight in there.

Let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks kaangaroo!! I spent hours on this back in June and couldn't make sense of anyone's directions.

I was missing steps 5-12 on your instructions this whole time. Entered some random words in my event name and nothing would work. Haha

Your instructions are very straightforward and very detailed. Thank you so much!!!

Now let's see how often I actually turn on/off my WeMo switches with my FitBit, lol.

Thanks again!!!

Best Answer

No worries @JohnTran817, glad it helped. The annoying thing will be the delay, sometimes it takes 15 seconds to trigger it, so I guess be patient 😄

Best Answer

@Marauder2If the URL triggers the event from your browser and from command line, perhaps it might be an increased delay. Remember to keep Fitbit app running in the background on your paired device too.

Best Answer

Hey @kaangaroo and @JohnTran817.

Thanks for being around to help out @kaangaroo. Greatly appreciated!

Be sure to visit one of our Discussion boards if you have the time. Lots of different topics to talk about with other users.

Feel free to reach out if there are any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes