Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the Fitbit App with the Apple watch?

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Anyone have any luck figuring out how to use the Fitbit app with your apple watch? I'm really bummed I can join in on challenges anymore. Third party apps I've tried won't transfer.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
115 REPLIES 115
Your Fitbit device uploads it’s stats to your user account on their website. I don’t think any, or just a little bit, of data lives on your actual Fitbit device.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I was asking a fitbit APP that runs on Apple Watch,  for the benefit of keep competing with all my existing friends on fitbit.  This is pretty straightforward I think, Apple Watch user ( Who formey uses FitBit) can compet with people who still use Fitbit. But honestly, after all these year, I have alresdy get used to my Apple Watch now and use other apps such as MapMyRun with friends 

Moderator Edit: Word Choice

Best Answer

Hello @TM99@Walkby@WalkingXm, @Rich_Laue and @Xyzview. Thank you all for your comments and your feedback.

To summarize Sync Solver is just a workaround, so any behavior where is not sending all your data is an expected behavior, since this is not an official supported app that is able to connect with Fitbit through our open API.

With the services of AppleWatch or AppleHealth, there are no plans at the moment, however you can visit the idea I share before and keep voting: Integrate with Apple Watch. These decisions are dynamic and can change based on priorities in the future. We really take serious this topic, our goal is always the health of our users and help them to reach their goals.

As a quick note, all trackers have the ability to store at least 7 days of detailed minute-by-minute data. Summary data (calories, distance, and steps) will be stored for the trailing 30 days. If you wait longer than 7 days before syncing, you may only see the most recent week's detailed data.

At the moment I can only share with you the information I have available, but if I got more updates I will let you know.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Why are Fitbit so slow to react? So many issues where you just kick the can down the road and do nothing! Your business plan is like that of Blockbuster video so slow to react and once you do it will be far to late.

Best Answer
Yep! I am an early adopter of FitBit but I am done! And people are getting tired of the disposable FitBits. I am sure must of us have had multiples.
Best Answer

Its really a shame because Fitbit has an excellent fitness tracking app and I believe apple watch users would pay a fee to use the Fitbit app if it was integrated with the Apple watch.  You are absolutely correct it is amazing that otherwise "smart" businesses are slow to react and wind up going the way of the dinosaurs

Best Answer

Completely agree, my issue is now being dealt with well (so far) by customer services but ultimately I might end up with an Apple Watch and would happily pay a fee to have Fitbit as a supported App.

Another annoying issue for me in the U.K. no food database. 

Best Answer

I use my Applewatch for steps, exercise, heart rate and I love, love the breathe app for meditation. I use my Fitbit for tracking sleep while I charge my Apple Watch. I use my Aria scale as well. I use MyFitnessPal app to track from all 3 devices and it works great. Wish they could merge seamlessly so that you can look at any one device and have the same time info, but for now MyFitnessPal seems to do the trick plus I can keep track of calories. Oh and I use waterlogged as my app to remind me to drink my 84 oz/day, which also syncs with MyFitnessPal. 

Best Answer

Hello there, so far there has not been more updates about a possible integration with Fitbit and Applewatch, as it was mentioned earlier in this Feature Suggestion. At the moment, this is all the details I have available to share and I really appreciate your constant feedback regarding this subject.

Rest assure we are working every day to innovate the Fitbit experience for the convince of all our users.

See you later.

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that if you build an app tied to a subscription you could have a decent business model. E.g. you create a great app for the Apple watch. The continued use requires like 10/mo or 100/yr subscription. Surely that's more profit than what you get per device and it's per year. For Fitbit devices you make it free. You could even start to charge for advanced features. Have you tested willingness to pay for a subscription?

Best Answer

Hi there @Willieram, thank you for your great input. As Fitbit, we are aware many users would like to see an integration with Apple Watch. However note that we are dealing with two proprietary technologies and at this moment as it was updated our Feature Suggestion: Integrate with Apple Watch. This integration still is not possible, quoting:

Thank you for your suggestions. We are always looking for ways you can use your data to support your health and fitness goals. For the past few years, we’ve been the leader in developing direct partnerships through our open API with hundreds of the most popular health apps, wellness programs, incentive systems, and other services that have enabled people like you to make the most of your products and data. In addition, the launch of Fitbit Ionic has given us the opportunity to allow third party developers to develop apps for the Fitbit App Gallery through our SDK, providing opportunities to offer even more features and apps to our global Fitbit community from our developer community.

With regards to your proposed integrations, we continue to evaluate new partners and will update you if we have news to share. Fitbit has a history of working with the community to bring potential features to reality, and we thank you for taking the time to share your ideas and suggestions.

Nonetheless all this insight helps us to know what our Community wants and despite this is not planned at the moment, this suggestions are dynamic and can change based on priorities.

See you all around and don't forget to participate in our discussion boards.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m about to have the same issue. I’ve had Fitbit for years and actually don’t like iPhones - I use a Samsung. But I’m a diabetic with a Dexcom CGM and have been waiting a year since the announcement of an integration with Ionic. From other threads I’ve read, it does not appear that this is being actively worked on, as one moderator suggested we use the API to create our own solution. I would have no idea how to even go about that. I really don’t want to carry a bulky receiver so I want to see my glucose numbers on my watch. Looks like the only option I have is to go with the Apple Watch or Wear O/S, although the latter has battery life issues and huge watches. It just doesn’t make sense to wear 2 devices and have data gathered in 2 different apps, so I guess I’ll be making the move to Apple.

Best Answer

Hi there @jbrassard, good to see you have joined to this thread. I was reading your post and I appreciate your feedback. I understand is not the best carrying bulky receivers to check your glucose information. 

Our open API, note that is for independent developers or third party app developers who want to integrate their services with our data, without the need of going with a partnership as it is with Dexcom. For the same reason it been taking time to give our users an estimated timeframe of a release date.

The last word of information I have received, is that we are working to have this feature during this year. As originally was announced; the first initiative will be available in 2018 on Fitbit Ionic showing users data from the Dexcom G5 on the wrist, without opening an app.

If there is more details regarding Dexcom or a future integration with apple watches, I will keep you posted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

That is what I did. Super sad about it.

Moderator edit: removed personal information.

Best Answer

That would be great!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Walkby wrote:

I see a trend where hardware revenues for fitbit will drop as more and more people want integrated, higher functioning wearables.  If fitibit were to be wise and create service or app for money it would guarrantee the future of the company and not compete with Apple and Samsung.  Who will outspend and out market fitbit without even realizing it.  So for now, fitbit has a good reason to be around.  But once those other huge behemoths get their act together the device will look pretty silly.  The app, however has great value.  I love it.  But I want more than the Blaze will ever provide and Watch2 comes pretty close.  But just like Apple tied everyone to iTunes and made billions, fitbit could tie us to their amazing app.  

Why not just build an watchOS app and sell it on the store? Why not make watchOS compatible with Premium.  That has to be a way for fitbit to make money and give us what we want.  Hubris kills more companies than bad product ever will.

I'd love this. I'd gladly pay for Fitbit Coach - it's really cool! But I kinda want an Apple Watch now tbh, and being able to track those workouts through it would be awesome. 

Best Answer

can you send the instructions. i just downloaded it and i am a bit confused

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @SunsetRunner, welcome aboard to the Fitbit Community and thank you for your feedback @tipoo and @deandsmith. The difficult part here, is the Fitbit tracker / watch is proprietary technology that works along with the features of the Fitbit app. Nonetheless, this is a great feedback opportunity for future integrations or improvements to some existent functionalities. 

That instructions are you looking for @SunsetRunner? Perhaps I can offer you some additional help.

See you all later and stay tuned to our Community if you have more feedback or you need additional help.

Best Answer

The Apple watch 4 announcement yesterday made it painfully clear that fitbit's days may be numbered. Super loyal fitbit user and I am sad that I am seriously considering ditching fitbit and android to get the new apple watch. The Versa is instantly obsolete compared to the apple watch 4. Fitbit has the best software which I use every day to track food/sleep and activity. I don't see wearing two devices but the announced features on the apple watch are too good to ignore.

Best Answer