Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map my Run disagrees with Fitbit

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I have read a few similar threads, but I haven't found a real explanation of my issue, which is a discrepancy between Map My Run and the Fitbit app...specifically in distance. MMR logged my morning walk at 3.62 miles this morning. My dashboard, however, only recorded 2.86 miles. The time was about the same, but there is a pretty big discrepancy between distance and pace. I have a Charge HR.
I am also not clear on whether there is a need to activate the activity mode when I log my workout with MMR. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

@SunsetRunner Welcome to the Community! The reason why you're seeing a discrepancy between Fitbit and MapMyRun is because Fitbit will track your distance based in your walking and running stride length and MapMyRun will track the distance based in a GPS. Both apps has it's own way to track the information. 

You don't need to activate the activity mode because your Charge HR will keep track of your information even though it's not in activity mode. This action will give you detailed information of what you've done during that period of time. 

Note: MMR won't sync information to Fitbit. 

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer
Thank you! I have MMR linked to My Fitness Pal, so the info gets synced that way (sorry...should have mentioned that). I have used MMR for so long I haven't been able to bring myself to switch yet.
I assumed the GPS data would override the Fitbit estimate, I guess. I did find something about calibrating the Fitbit to my stride length, so maybe I will try it and see if I can get more accurate data. It baffles me a bit though that Fitbit greatly underestimates my distance, but I have very short legs (and therefore a short stride). I would think the discrepancy would go in the opposite direction, based on the assumption that it probably would have a default setting with a stride length longer than mine (therefore assuming more distance covered with each stride).
I am also a little confused about why it has an activity mode if I don't need to activate it?
Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

You say you have MMR linked to MFP. I'm not sure if MFP pulls the workouts from MMR, but I do know that MFP does not send any workouts to Fitbit. Therefore Fitbit never sees the data from MMR. Your Fitbit App does have the ability to track using your phones GPS.

Best Answer
My understanding is that the FitBit is giving you the opportunity to designate the times you exercise. You can then tell the program what you were doing during that time for tracking purposes.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the Fitbit charge 2 that has gps through the phone gps. When I did map my walk and looked at my dashboard they were off. Map my walk had my distance at 5 miles just for the walk and Fitbit has my whole day mileage at 3.62 . I went to the store this morning so that means that Fitbit counted just my walk even less than the 3.62 . Why is the difference so great? Does this have anything to do with the recent Fitbit update? Please help as I need to make sure I am calculating the correct number of miles. Also my steps don't match up on the map my walk and dashboard either. MMW has my walk at 9,200 and Fitbit has me 8,690 for the whole day.

Best Answer

I'm having the same problem. Map My Run measures my runs consistently 1/4 to 1/2 mile longer than my Fitbit Charge 2. I assume since MMR uses GPS it's more accurate, but even when I use the GPS feature of Fitbit it's still off. 

Best Answer

It's great to have you here @Heatherayt! When you're using two different trackers to get the GPS results. The data will be different because each one uses its own algorithms to track data. You may want to check this article How accurate is GPS?

Hope this helps. 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I have the same exact issue.  ... same gear also.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm in a fitness fat loss group on Facebook. They advocate using fitbit and I love mine. Today, however, I realised that map my walk notes many more steps than my fitbit. I've read the other comments and responses but I'm still confused. Which step counter is correct?? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Map my walk does not count your steps. It measures the distance walked, divides the distance by the stride isers stride to guess at how many steps where taken.

Fitbit counts the steps then uses the users stride to guess at the distance walked.

Best Answer

I'm having the same issue whereas map my walk registers a greater distance than Fitbit while both apps are running.

Best Answer

@espinav007 do they agree if you use one at a time

Best Answer

I have a Fitbit Surge. I've seen a lot of comments here about the difference between Mapmyfitness and the Fitbit and they don't exactly add up.  My Fitbit is connected to the GPS on my phone. Mapmyfitness is also connected to that. Both Mapmyfitness and Fitbit have height, stride, weight, etc...  I don't get as big a discrepancy on milleage, but the discrepancy on steps is huge, and I'm pretty sure it's the Fitbit that is not accurate.  here is why... no matter how I am moving, very short quick steps, long steps, etc... I get less than 2000 steps per mile, which should be near the average. If Fitbit is actually counting steps, it's also correcting that count in some way (possibly due to stride?) because even if I do very short quick steps for an entire mile, I get the same result as if I just run, or walk... Mapmyfitness seems a little bit high on steps, and if they are just taking GPS and calculating from the miles, that is off too.  Today I used Mapmyfitness for about 4.87 miles - four running and 1 walking.  Mapymyfitness logged a little over 14k steps.  My Fitbit I've worn all day (and had set for run during the run) and it says I have not even gotten my 10k for the day.  In fact, I regularly have to go 6-8 miles to get the daily minimum which just can't be even close to right... need to figure out what is wrong.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @bookwyrm55 your Surge does not connect to your phones GPS but has its own GPS built in.

As for mapmyrun it gets distance from the phones GPS then uses your stride to guess at the steps. MMR does not count steps. 

The surge looks at the arm motions to count your steps. 

Best Answer
While I understand the arm motion is theoretically the key, my
description of the discrepancy is the same... if I go out and run at my
regular stride, and then purposely do a mile at shorter, quicker strides
all the time making sure my arms swing as rapidly as my steps, my steps
on the surge do not seem to vary at all.  I never get 2000 steps per
mile. Not really even that close, and I have had the same results with
all my Fitbits.  I just don't believe that the MMF step count is so
different that it counts 1.5 steps to 1 on a regular basis...
particularly when the mileage is nearly the same on both. Also, I
mis-spoke, I have a Fitbit Blaze... not surge.  And the question has
never really been addressed that started this topic... which is more
accurate?
Best Answer
0 Votes

What is your running stride? 2000 steps per mile is closer to what a walk, not a run, should be. 

If your running and do 2000 steps per mile there is something wrong. 

MMF does not count steps, it counts distance therefore we can not use the step count from MMF, which was calculated based on the stride setting.. IE: MMF takes an educated guess on the steps walked. 

Best Answer

This thread is a little old but I’m having the same issue but all I care about is distance. I’m less focused on step count. 

Why is my running distance on my Blaze so much lower than MMR?

I assume MMR is more accurate for distance. Is there any way to adjust Fitbit to show the accurate distances? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Where you using the connected GPS on the Blaze, with the resulting map? '

Have you adjusted the stride setting to match your true stride? 

Best Answer

I just got the Charge 2 and the distance and pace is way off from my MMR - I would think that at least the distance would be the same?? My fitbit and MMR are linked, kinda of hard to see which one is a true one.  I have a race this coming Saturday so that should be a real test to see which is more accurate I quess.

Best Answer
0 Votes