Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map my Run disagrees with Fitbit

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I have read a few similar threads, but I haven't found a real explanation of my issue, which is a discrepancy between Map My Run and the Fitbit app...specifically in distance. MMR logged my morning walk at 3.62 miles this morning. My dashboard, however, only recorded 2.86 miles. The time was about the same, but there is a pretty big discrepancy between distance and pace. I have a Charge HR.
I am also not clear on whether there is a need to activate the activity mode when I log my workout with MMR. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

That is actually very interesting!

I have been thinking that our problem is because of using an "unsupported" Android device (Sony) but the iPhone 6s is supposed to have a confirmed compatibility even for Connected GPS... 

How long have you experienced this issue?

@HarbourHockey wrote:

An iPhone 6s

Best Answer
0 Votes

Only just got my Fitbit so not a huge sample size I have to say! But the main thing I wanted it for was distance measurements and so I noticed it on my very first run. Doing the research now that perhaps I should have done before purchase 😞 

Best Answer

@HarbourHockey wrote:

Only just got my Fitbit so not a huge sample size I have to say! But the main thing I wanted it for was distance measurements and so I noticed it on my very first run. Doing the research now that perhaps I should have done before purchase 😞 

I think we all made that "mistake". Actually, Fitbit should be very honest about this issues, as it doesn't sound that complicated in advertisement. I don't know how they managed to screw up, but obviously the Fitbit app can't manage to send and use GPS data correctly with Connected GPS devices. If you have the option and really want distance tracking, I'd probably suggest returning it. 

There's no telling when, or if, Fitbit will fix this. I contacted them with an email and they sent some bogus tips like "turn off Wi-Fi", but also acknowledged the fact that it should work as advertised. 

Wish I could be more helpful really, but I haven't found a single suggestion that actually works for anyone. 

Best Answer

Thanks @B4kken! Good to know I’m not alone on this! 

Best Answer

Hey everyone! 

Thanks for sharing your feedback. 

I'd like to take a closer at what is going on and ask you a couple of questions:

• Is the distance on your Fitbit account higher than what it is on other ends or lower? Or does it alternate?

As a test, could you please try to use MobileRun on your device instead of using the Fitbit to get GPS? That should give us a bit more insight into what is going on.

As for the stride length discussion, you can read more information about it on this help article.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
Stride length shouldn't matter if connected with gps. Stride length is an
approximation.
Best Answer

Feels like Fitbit should incorporate Connected GPS and Mobile Run into one feature. 

Feels like Connected GPS could be more stable if it just activated an activity on the phone, showed it on the watch continuously and added step and heart rate data from the tracker directly.

That is really all that people want right? Control over the ongoing activity and being able to view the stats in real time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @B4kken and @JasonNazworth.

@B4kken That sounds like an interesting idea. Maybe you could post about it in our Feature Suggestions board. That way other users can comment and vote on your idea to show their support. You can also read the FAQ if you have any questions about that board.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LanuzaFitbit wrote:

Hey everyone! 

Thanks for sharing your feedback. 

I'd like to take a closer at what is going on and ask you a couple of questions:

• Is the distance on your Fitbit account higher than what it is on other ends or lower? Or does it alternate?

I have an Ionic and it's fairly consistent. I'm usually 0.05 miles shorter per mile on Fitbit vs MMR. The faster I go, the worse it is. When running between 7:30 - 8:00/mile pace it's about 0.05 per mile. When I get closer to 7:00/mile pace, it can jump to being as much as 0.10 off per mile. When running a 5k race, I can expect the Fitbit to show under 3 miles vs MMR showing the full 3.1 miles  

Best Answer
My wife uses the iconic or ionic, unsure the name. I jumped ship prior to
the gps being offered and went with Garmin. My distances we're off with the
charge 2, noticeabley off.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @splorp and @JasonNazworth.

Thanks for reaching out with those details.

I'll be sure to pass this on to the rest of the team. If there are any news or updates on the matter I'll be sure to post about them in here.

Let me know if there are any other questions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LanuzaFitbit - thanks for looking into this. I was looking for a different forum but this is definitely an issue. I run a lot of races and would never use my fitbit in GPS or activity mode to manage pace or distance. I would say anything over 5 miles I am generally about 1 full mile behind on my fitbit. There also seems to be an issue with "Pace". It almost like the wrong math is being done. When racing I use my Garmin and it is always within .1 of the race course and the stats generally map to my official time. Whereas the Fitbit will be off by miles and my pace is a minute + slower than what is real.

Best Answer

Thanks for joining the Forums @followtim.

Please do know that our team is aware of he situation and this is being looked into. As soon as we have any news on the situation we'll be sure to let everyone know.

Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Problem is, I read posts from other users and this has been a problem for
over a year. So when you say the team is aware and looking into it... since
when? Cause if it's actually since people have been reporting then your
response is kind of like Christ saying he's coming back "soon" if you know
what I mean.

How about actually giving us an eta on a solution?
Best Answer

Hello @brandonvmoore.

I definitely understand how that can be very frustrating. At this moment I do not have any further details that I could share. I'm keeping my eyes open and trying to get more news on the situation and I'll be posting about them as soon as I do. 

Thanks for your understanding. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This response is weak and unacceptable!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @RHRENNA17.

Thanks for your feedback. 

As I mentioned, we do not have anything to share at the time but we'll let everyone know as soon as we do have any updates on the situation.

Thanks for your understanding. Feel free to reach out with any further questions.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was wondering if there was any further update on this issue?

My split paces (per km) are significantly different when comparing Fitbit and Map my Run. I am using the GPS setting on a Charge 2.

It’s very frustrating and makes me question the reliability and accuracy of all the data that I get from Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I found that the Blaze was not using GPS. I want to say that even if I went
on a run and had my phone with me that it would still approximate my
distance by calculating stride * steps but it's been a while so I can't say
with full certainty whether I just didn't go on a "run" in the watch and
maybe if I had done that then it wouldn't have switched to using GPS. I
don't think so though... I seem to remember reading the same issue from
others, that no matter what they did it still wouldn't use the GPS to give
accurate results.

I don't know what improvements they've made, or how other models act. But
that's what I would look into first... see if you can find any info on how
to make it use the GPS because that's the only way you will ever get
accurate results.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @greg_c.

I apologize for the delay in my response. I'd like to take a closer look at what is going on.

In this case I'd like to ask some questions about your particular situation:

• Are you using your Fitbit and MapMyRun at the same time?
  • Could you share more details on how different the splits are?

Look forward to your reply.

Best Answer
0 Votes