Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map my Run disagrees with Fitbit

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I have read a few similar threads, but I haven't found a real explanation of my issue, which is a discrepancy between Map My Run and the Fitbit app...specifically in distance. MMR logged my morning walk at 3.62 miles this morning. My dashboard, however, only recorded 2.86 miles. The time was about the same, but there is a pretty big discrepancy between distance and pace. I have a Charge HR.
I am also not clear on whether there is a need to activate the activity mode when I log my workout with MMR. I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

Saying that 2 apps will come up with different results because they use different algorithms isn't a sufficient answer here. That's the kind of answer that would be okay if we're talking about tiny differences. These aren't tiny... they are very different and the problem is that we know Map My Run to be reasonably accurate. The point isn't that we care that the two aren't the same... the point is that FitBit is unreasonably inaccurate and we are simply using Map My Run to point that out.

I have also used both my cars to measure out a mile with the odometer, but when I run the same distance the FitBit barely gets to 0.8 miles. A 20% inaccuracy on something like this is not simply a technicality of how an algorithm is written.

As best as I can tell the Blaze doesn't really use GPS even when it says it's connected to the phone and still uses stride. I would love for Fitbit to acknowledge whether that's the problem and give an estimated time for when it might be fixed if so instead of making silly excuses. 

Best Answer

@brandonvmoore wrote:

----- .Cut ------

As best as I can tell the Blaze doesn't really use GPS even when it says it's connected to the phone and still uses stride. I would love for Fitbit to acknowledge whether that's the problem and give an estimated time for when it might be fixed if so instead of making silly excuses. 

This is what we have continually been pointing out, over the past 3-4 years several users have run informal testing. 

Even with GPS I can change the distance, in a predictable way, simply by taking smaller or larger steps, are by changing the setting for the Stride .

Fitbit says that for the Blaze the GPS is used to calculate distance during a run, but will not confirm and nothing is in the user manual for walk or hike mode .

The Ionic and the Versa clearly say that when GPSVis used, distance comes from the GPS. Yesterday's walk I didn't d seeks to agree, but I want to do more testing .

As for getting an official comment from Fitbit, I've sent this question to support via Twitter and email, asked a few moderators and have been completely ignored with no response at all .

Best Answer

This is pretty sad. I can only agree that we are seeing the same thing at home with my Ionic measuring pretty accurate at a 7 km run and my fiancee's Versa lagging behind at about 5.8 km. 

We do like Fitbit, both the app and the watches, but this makes us question the purchase every time we do a run.

Best Answer
I've owned and tested four different Fitbits over the years.
Connected/disconnected to my phone still resulted in different distances
measured. I'm done with Fitbit and have moved onto the Garmin Fenix 5x.
The GPS is extremely accurate and I don't need my phone to piggyback.
Fitbit is nice and they offer decently priced equipment, but they're not
accurate. I need accuracy.
Best Answer

I did both and it’s still so inaccurate that I stopped wearing it. I also dislike having to have my phone on me when I run, so having read this thread, I think I’ll ditch the Blaze and get the Garmin. 

FitBit - listen to this feedback from runners. We are your market and we’re all disappointed with the product. It fails at its number one job. 

Best Answer

Hello everyone!

@GracieP Thanks for your feedback! We truly appreciate. I'd like to mention, however, that the Fitbit Ionic doesn't require a phone at all to track your GPS activities. Perhaps you could look into it. 

@B4kken and @brandonvmoore, if you haven't, perhaps you could read through this article talking about what could cause GPS issues. Additionally, I'd recommend trying to keep your phones and your Fitbit on the same general side of your body when going for runs so that the connection is not interrupted suddenly by having to go through your body.

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

@LanuzaFitbit wrote:

Hello everyone!

@GracieP Thanks for your feedback! We truly appreciate. I'd like to mention, however, that the Fitbit Ionic doesn't require a phone at all to track your GPS activities. Perhaps you could look into it. 

@B4kken and @brandonvmoore, if you haven't, perhaps you could read through this article talking about what could cause GPS issues. Additionally, I'd recommend trying to keep your phones and your Fitbit on the same general side of your body when going for runs so that the connection is not interrupted suddenly by having to go through your body.

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Thanks you for the reply!

What article are you referring to?

The versa and phone are on the same arm.

Best Answer

I’ve got a similar issue, where my Fitbit Charge 2 tracked my run today as 4.25 miles (with map); the same map on google (& Strava) calculates same distance as 3.8 miles. Quite a different split time results and I can’t get a sense for fitness level. Which is correct? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@HarbourHockey wrote:

I’ve got a similar issue, where my Fitbit Charge 2 tracked my run today as 4.25 miles (with map); the same map on google (& Strava) calculates same distance as 3.8 miles. Quite a different split time results and I can’t get a sense for fitness level. Which is correct? 

Since we don't know anything about  your run, we will not be able to tell you which, if either, is correct. This is the her Google Pedometer may be helpful. Or some way to physically measure the distance .

Best Answer
not the Fitbit. That's the travesty of them marketing this as a distance
tracker!
Best Answer

@GracieP Fitbit markets it as a step and exercise tracker, most fitbits by themselves are not able to track distance. Those that can, depend on GPS.

With auto detected exercises, Fitbit specifically states that distance will not be tracked. 

Fitbit uses calories as the common point between different exercises .

Best Answer

Hello @B4kken@Rich_Laue, and @GracieP. Welcome to the Forums @HarbourHockey.

@B4kken, I'm sorry. These would be the article.

@Rich_Laue is on point in here. 

@HarbourHockey, is there any possibility that the GPS signal had some issues during the run and so it caused the difference in distance.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
Every response I've received from Fitbit suggested that I calibrate my pace
and stride length. Are you suggesting that gps connectivity was my issue?
Doesn't really matter at this time since I've moved onto Garmin. Their
products outperform Fitbit in every way.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Several users have done some of their ttests @JasonNazworth.

For several of the trackers, Fitbit says that the stride iwill be auto detected when using GPS, they say nothing about walking.

Some of the manuals specifically say that when GPS is used, the distance will come from the GPS.

The Charge 2 the manual is prety clear on page 17 that Pace and distance will come from the connected GPS. However in the past, I could change the reported distance by taking smaller steps or changing the stride setting, even when GPS is used.

I'm looking for an answer also.

@JasonNazworth as for setting your stride, I think this would always be good, and will provide better distance accuracy when GPS is not used.

Best Answer

Ahh Ok, I think most people having GPS issues have read this article, no?

The Fitbit Versa is, according to Fitbit, supposed to be able to record pace and distance using connected GPS and display this correctly on the watch during a run. Obviously the people here have tried to fix it, but even FitBit support replies with suggestions like turn off Wi-Fi on your phone, restart the Versa, and make sure Bluetooth is on. GPS signal could be a culprit for some, but when running next to each other I doubt that only one of us have that problem, especially so pronounced in difference to the other. 

The only reason I can think of is either that connected GPS is broken, or that Fitbit have such a huge problem coding for Android that the Sony Xperia XZ (not supported I know...) sends gps-data differently than the app expects. It still draws a map though.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have to say I really hate Fitbit's style of customer service on here. I
would be much more inclined to stick with Fitbit if they investigated and
acknowledged issues, and made promises to fix them.

When several people acknowledge a real problem and all fitbit does is
continually offer suggestions we should try and refuses to ever validate
our concerns it makes me feel like it's because they don't intend to fix
the issue anytime soon.

You would be far likely to keep me as a customer by acknowledging my issue
is legit and promising to fix it. I don't mind waiting... even if it's like
6 months. I mean I really do like my fitbit. But thos kind of customer
service actually turns me off and makes me WANT to ditch my fitbit for
something else.
Best Answer

Absolutely with you — I’m giving up. Im going to chalk this up as a bad experience and move on to Garmin, I guess!

FitBit - you’re really not hearing us. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I wouldn’t have thought there was an issue with my GPS connection, the map was correct and both google and strava measured the same distance, and I was in an urban city center. I have a theory that the Fitbit measured distance by stride (it thought it was bigger than reality and I have since adjusted) but why would it do that when I was using GPS?

Best Answer

As a question of interest, what phone do you use? 

@HarbourHockey wrote:

I wouldn’t have thought there was an issue with my GPS connection, the map was correct and both google and strava measured the same distance, and I was in an urban city center. I have a theory that the Fitbit measured distance by stride (it thought it was bigger than reality and I have since adjusted) but why would it do that when I was using GPS?

Best Answer
0 Votes

An iPhone 6s

Best Answer
0 Votes