Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing with Garmin

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

It appears that all of a sudden with no notice, Garmin is no longer a compatible ap.  It synced my Tuesday run.  Today my FitBit totally crashed and apparently can't be fixed and my Garmin data all disappeared from my history.  I have searched everywhere to reconnect it but it is no longer in the ap list.  Can anyone explain this?

Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

Hi @dsalyards

Moved this thread from the Charge HR to the Third-Party Integrations section to increase the chance of getting a solution.

Wishing a wonderful day / weekend.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks
Best Answer
0 Votes

@dsalyards Garmin has never been a compatible app, so that's why it doesn't appear on the list. The data you're referring to looks like it came from MFP. I'm not sure what happened to your Garmin data, but if you've chained multiple apps together, that can potentially cause issues.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes
My Garmin is connected to MFP so maybe it took that route in. All I know is my FitBit totally went berserk this morning and although I have been told you don't lose your data all my run data that came in from my Garmin, whatever path that took, has disappeared and went back to the FitBit data which is considerably less accurate. That does not make me a happy camper although I have always chosen FitBit as my primary device and just use the Garmin for my running because the FitBit doesn't have the functionality.

Denise Salyards LLC
Providing High Performance Marketing Solutions based on Strong Analytics
Office: 954-474-6716
Best Answer
0 Votes

@dsalyards I can't speak for the interaction between Garmin and MFP since we don't provide support for their device, but I can definitely tell you that a loss of data with your Charge HR is highly unusual. I checked with our Support Team and it looks like they've already ordered a replacement device for you.

Have you tried tracking a run using your Charge HR and MobileRun through the Fitbit app? It will use your phone's GPS data and the data tracked by the Charge HR.

If you prefer using Garmin for your runs, I would just advise caution when using multiple devices and multiple apps. Make sure you're using one or the other, and not both at the same time.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's true that Garmin has never been a "compatible app," but until recently Fitbit had a link to FitDataSync in its third-party section; that link is gone, and the FitDataSync site has been down for a month or more. I suspect this is not a coincidence. 

Fitbit is feeling pretty frisky these days: number one wearable, blah, blah. But for those of us who take our workouts seriously, Fitbit is a pale reflection of Garmin. No power meter or cadence (for running or cycling). And the HR monitor is iffy at best.

Word of advice Fitbit: if your intent is to take on Garmin, then make sure you can at least duplicate Garmin capabilities. Since you offered the link before, simply taking it down now that it's inconvenient to your strategy is a slap in the face to your customers. You need to reinstate FitDataSync (or better yet include it in the base function). 

I've been using one Fitbit or another (One, Flex, Charge, Charge HR, Aria) for nearly three years. But I've been using Garmin for twice that. Force me to choose and you will go in a drawer.

Moderator edit: title for clarity.

Best Answer

This made me giggle! I'm partial to Garmin as well, but would love to participate in Fitbit step challenges. Can't afford (nor do I want) to wear 2 activity trackers all day. And I don't carry my phone with me on my runs. So for now, I will just have to stay out of the Fitbit ring.

Best Answer