Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Withings / Nokia - Unable to authenticate Withings user.

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been trying for two days to link my wife's FitBit account with our Withings scale. Using the following link https://www.fitbit.com/weight/withings it will always result in the same error.

"Unable to authenticate Withings user. Withings server returned the following error: Unknown status code."

How do we address the account linking issue shown above?

I was able to link my account a year ago, but I recently tried to link my wife's Fitbit account with her Withings profile and it didn't work. 

I've added  a screenshot below. Note: It's occurring on the FitBit page to link the Withings scale.

Error ExampleError Example

Best Answer
134 REPLIES 134

@LanuzaFitbit: Can you please confirm if @Mark81 is right? That seems plausible. I and others have suggested various theories of what might be wrong, only to hear nothing back from Fitbit other than finger pointing toward Withings. If @Mark81 is right, then the onus is on you, the client of their API to change. If, however, the issue is just related to changing URLs to fit the rebranding (which is something Nokia screwed up before), the onus is still on you, Fitbit. That's because even if they acted stupidly in managing that change, you need their data, so you need to adapt.

Either way, it's on Fitbit to fix. Let's all stop giving them a way to get off the hook and point to Withings.

Best Answer
Read their websites. Nokia explicitly states that is small set of apps the support integration with and remainder must use API. Also, just as with syncs between app and tracker, Fitbit app knows when it is running, thus making it a pull request. Otherwise, if Nokia did push as you say, when a new weight reading occurs, then there may not be a recipient to take the data on Fitbit side.  In all, pull vs push the pull makes most sense.
Del (sent from phone)
Best Answer
0 Votes

@BlakLite I'm not sure how was developed this integration, but I think that it use both API. I mean, there is a single app (the integration) that read from one side and read/write on the other one. Independently if this app is external, hosted only by Fitbit or only by Withings.

In any case: the owner of the integration, have to change their code, to use the new Withings Web API.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hypothesis: the scale send the measurements to Withings. Withings as subscribed a notification in its Web API, linked to a Withings account (tokens) and to a Fitbit account (tokens). Then when Withings receive a new measurements, it may send it to Fitbit. API info

Is just an hypothesis, I don't know how was done this integration.

In any case: the owner of the integration, have to change their code, to use the new Withings Web API, as described here: https://developer.withings.com/oauth2/release.html

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mark81   The problem with your Hypothesis is that the accounts are NOT linked.  Fitbit app is NOT even getting through the Logon process to establish the data exchange link you mention!  Hence, the problem resides on the Fitbit side to properly present the id and password credentials via the API

Best Answer

Only logs weight with fitbit. No other measurements. IFTTT allows you to request other features. the IFFT withings applet exposes a lot of the measurements but cannot log it with Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

But then, considering the e-mail replies, Withings is looking at the apps instead of the Web API integration with Fitbit?

By the way, I wish you an API New Year! 😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

I would be thrilled w weight recording. How do you make that work?  Many thanks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep, same authentication issue, and from what I can see here it cannot be resolved at this point, as the syncing only seems to work the other way round (Fitbit to Withings). 

That's it, I'm taking the **ahem** thing back and getting the Aria 2 as I should have done in the first place. 😕 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that is one reason they will not hurry on to fix this error 🙂  

@FayeDacosta wrote:

That's it, I'm taking the **ahem** thing back and getting the Aria 2 as I should have done in the first place. 😕 

Best Answer

Take the fitbit back instead, as it appears it is an issue on fitbits end.

Best Answer

Hello everyone! 

I'd like to apologize for the delay in the response.

As it has been mentioned before, Whithings is aware of the situation and they are looking into it. Hopefully they will have an update on the matter soon.

If you have the time, be sure to visit one of our Discussion boards. Lots of different topics to talk about with other users.

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone! 

I'd like to apologize for the delay in the response.

As it has been mentioned before, Whithings is aware of the situation and they are looking into it. Hopefully they will have an update on the matter soon.

If you have the time, be sure to visit one of our Discussion boards. Lots of different topics to talk about with other users.

Let me know if there are any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

OK -- will you please let us know once it is fixed so that we can establish the linking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

aspetto aggiornamenti anche io

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks Launza, do you have the details on why and what has broken, what Whitings is working on to restore it? Or you have been given only this template to copy and paste it every so often.

Best Answer

that made me laugh, searching through the forums can see a lot of frustration so tried this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelEasom/status/1080923371855101953

Best Answer

It's the Fitbit app which has problem making correct call to Withings Healthmate app using proper OAUTH2.0 authentication.  Withings changed to it as of Nov 20,2018 and that's when integration apparently broke.  But Fitbit is unwilling to own up to fixing the problem making others go to 3rd partty IFTTT (https://ifttt.com/) to find an applet that will integrate the apps.

Myself, I may be returning my Charge 3 if this is the type of dismal  "support" Fitbit provides for it's products.  First this bogus "Special Edition" of Charge 3 to get NFC functionality, then this lame passing blame support for their Charge 3 app when it's their side that's broken, evidenced by IFTTT's ability to achieve the integration.

Best Answer

Hi Lanuza!

It seems most likely the problem is on your (Fitbits) side, any chance you could escalate the issue to the developers responsible for your integration with Withings (that's available at: https://www.fitbit.com/weight/withings).

It's quite evidently related to the following change at Withings: https://developer.withings.com/api/oauth1

Withings has stated that they informed everyone well ahead of time that this was happening so I am disappointed you didn't take action before this. It should be trivial for your developers to simply consume their OAuth2 endpoint for authentication instead of their old and now disabled OAuth1.

Your standard boilerplate reply about Withings already being informed of the issue won't really do it if the problem is at Fitbits end. If your developer has already looked at the issue and (unlikely) the problem is at Withings end, please let us know.

Best Answer

Hi Lanuza

this is the 4th time you post that withings is aware of the situation. 

But they will not be able to fix it because as allready some members mentioned - the wrong code is on the fitbit page - and withings will not fix code on fitbits site. 

So please escalate this after 2 Months of back and forth to the developers. 

BR 

Best Answer