Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Versa 3 button is not always responding

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The "button" to wake the screen is very finicky and doesn't always work, and in trying multiple times I always end up with the long press shortcut opening when I just want to see the time.

Then there is the notifications bar which opens too easily and then swiping to close apps always takes multiple tries 😑

Is there some secret to operating this that I am just not understanding?? 😔

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

Hi there @Jread, welcome to the Community Forums. I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time using the Versa 3's button. I understand how you must be feeling. Thanks for the details provided in your post and for trying to find the best way of use the button. 

Try placing both forefinger and thumb each side of face and pressing gently, also make sure to cover the entire button with your finger. For more information, seeHow do I navigate my Fitbit device? 

Let me know if you need further help. 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer

The button seems to be the most responsive at the top versus the bottom.  If I cover the entire button, it's hit or miss, but if I focus on the top half and it's responsive 100 percent of the time using the tip of my finger to push the "button" (I wear on my right wrist) and my thumb on the other side to squeeze.  Photo attached showing what I've found to be the most responsive area:

PXL_20201001_135834590.MP~2.jpg

Best Answer

It's quite bizarre when people have to explain how to use a "button". Surely, Fitbit should have kept the physical button that was working perfectly fine before (and didn't need explanations).

Best Answer

I seem to get more success by pinching (one finger on the left and it finger on the right) the versa 3 to press the button.

This reddit post helped me:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fitbit/comments/izwfmr/versa_3_button_really_glitchy/g709fa6?utm_medium=and...

Best Answer

This does seem to be helping me. THANKS.  This is the stupidest redesign of a FITBIT I have ever seen.  These "buttons" are nearly impossible to use. I really regret buying this Versa 3.  I like the GPS, but these buttons are not worth the hassle.  

Best Answer

Great tip Peace2Day.  Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is really a joke! LOL~. I have to avoid using the "button" 😆

Best Answer

Your suggestion of placing both thumb and forefinger works great. Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

And also, you need some time to get used to the button. I can now have 90%+ success rate. 😅

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ha ha! For me, I seem to get more responsiveness on the bottom half. I feel like the actual "button" location isn't where the sensor is at all and I have to wrap my thumb slightly under the watch. Still totally hit or miss. I've never had a gadget so difficult to get to do its basic functions. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's the same for me

Best Answer

Completely agree.

BRING BACK THE BUTTONS!!!

I thought I had this figured out and then again I couldn't get it. Finally gave up and returned my Fitbit and purchased a Garmin Venu.  Sometimes miss the fitbit features, but unless the buttons come back, no more Fitbits for me, even though I have had a number of models over the last several years.

Best Answer

I noticed you have to squeeze the fitbit between finger and thumb. You can also squeeze the bands together in a pinching motion. I think it picks up flex on the case. It's very strange. Touching the button does nothing but squeezing the Fitbit from side to side on bands or "button" side works. I disabled long press short cut because it kept opening Alexa when I bend my wrist up. It got annoying!

Best Answer

I started to have problems with the button around the same time i started to have issues with the battery discharging.

Best Answer

I have the same problem and Fitbit support has been absolutely no help in getting the issue resolved. I have requested a warranty replacement since the Versa 3 is only a few months old. But Fitbit so far is refusing to warranty it. They want me to continue to troubleshoot it by doing the same few steps I have already done at least five times.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This worked well! I've been trying to "feel" which part of the side I needed to press to turn it on. Thank you

Best Answer

This topic helped me tremendously in making the decision of returning my Versa 3 after owning it for 1 day. 

What a stupid design! 

Only the fact that the button is on the left side of the watch is non-anatomical making it hard to press it using the thumb of the other hand. But Fitbit decided to go even further by making the button an invisible magic box. 

Returning it

Best Answer

Yes, fitbit could have kept the physical button, but many users where asking for this type of button. 

As mentioned above, cover the whole button and gently do a short squeeze. You should feel a response and want to let go. 

@Sregnov the left side has a button like depression. 

Because of the depression, touching the button doesn't allow your skin to reach the sensor. This also means that the button won't be accidently triggered during a run, or boxing. 

Best Answer

Thank you @jessica1987! Once I read "flex on the case" I applied a little more pressure and now I can get it 100% of the time. And you're right, I can squeeze the top of the bands too! (Although I hope that doesn't mess them up or the locking mechanism for the bands

I think what I and many people are doing is, since there is no actual button, we're expecting to just tap the side of the watch. You have to squeeze with enough pressure as if there was a physical button.

Best Answer
0 Votes