Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google Maps not working on Versa 4

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello all. I just recently saw that Google Maps got added to the Versa 4 on the Fitbit app and I have installed the google maps app on my Fitbit app. However, when I go to my google maps on my phone and begin navigating, my Versa 4 does not pick up that I am navigating. The auto-start feature and the drive feature are enabled on both the app and the watch. I am not sure what is going on and why I cannot get google maps to work on my watch. I have the Versa 4 watch, a Samsung S22 plus version 13 (tiramishu). 

Any help or tips would be great! Thank you! 

Best Answer
79 REPLIES 79

Are you getting a map in the recorded activity afterwards? The navigation doesn't connect to GPS itself but since it follows the GPS route on the phone it would be expected to have a route in the activity later (after all, it took ages to integrate maps with Fitbit)... 🤔 I see no such thing so probably not a feature but maybe I'm wrong.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@t.parker As far as I remember this implementation of Google Maps was always announced as a turn-by-turn navigation with corresponding notifications on your wrist.

Talahthas, Fitbit Community Council
Charge, Charge HR, Blaze, Versa, Versa 2, Charge 5, Versa 4, Aria, Aria 2, Pixel 4a, Pixel 7
Best Answer

@Talahthas one would think what took them so long to release it. It's not even close to Google Maps on Galaxy Watch 5 (not Google watch but WearOS and Maps on it is a Google OS and app). But simplicity of the feature aside there are a few things I find slightly annoying:

- It doesn't work in the background so I can't record activities from Exercise app

- It does add activities (only walking or biking, I don't count driving as an activity here) but then there is no map. There is elevation gain in summary but that doesn't appear anywhere else later.

- Kind of useless for cycling when the watch is on the wrist (only vibrations, no using speaker like Galaxy Watch 5) - the watch has a speaker, make use of it.

- I can put a watch on the handlebar to see directions but then I sacrifice HR (although considering the accuracy of HR during cycling on Sense 2 and Versa 4 probably it's not such a big sacrifice)

- I can't start navigation from the watch (for example, store waypoints home, work and quickly tap and start navigating rather than doing it on the phone).

Good things:

+ It does work and shows directions

+ Enabled automatically it can make for kind of driving mode (no steps counted). Users asked for such feature before, it's kind of workaround but will work.  I assumed that it would log Drive activity (which is used by users to remove unwanted steps from driving) but apparently, Fitbit didn't think that could be a nice feature. Nothing logs when driving.

I know that most Fitbit users have no any idea what in-watch navigation may be like and how good it may be. Since this is one of the most important smart-,sports- watch features I use my requirements may be higher than those of a regular user. Still, this is less than impressive considering "pain of giving birth" to that feature. I'm going to test it in some other use cases (didn't check yet how it deals with always-on mode attached to the handlebar of the bike).

Best Answer

Navigation when cycling:

So I tried to use the Maps app with a watch attached to the handlebar so I can see directions during my ride. Definitely, it's not cycling-ready. Always-On mode works but:

• when Always-On is enabled, the information visible on the screen is dim and very limited (that means I could barely see it in the sunlight). Font size changes to smaller (to occupy less screen) so in this mode, there's not much use.
  • The way directions are presented is less than optimal. As much as turn-by-turn directions are important, from cycling perspective names of streets are not that relevant. More space should be used for distance to the turn/junction and some kind of indication of how far a user is from the junction (there is a number but again, too small). Ideally, the arrow of direction change should be used (getting brighter, bolder, bigger?) and some signal to change direction (on the handlebar I can't feel vibration - this app needs sound!).
  • A map or route is essential. While when walking users may not need the map, the visual route is necessary information when cycling. On an old Suunto watch, I had only a route (no map) and the position marked - this was enough to know that I'm getting close to a bend or I'm close to a turn. There were no turn-by-turn details (if I manage to revive it I can post to show how simple yet effective it was), and it was a lot more functional. There is a need for information that can be read in a split second. More visual, less text.
  • Elevation gain is reported in the summary but nowhere to be seen later in metrics.
  • No distance (which will probably annoy lots of users who'll decide to log bike activity that way) is reported to the activity. Only duration, calories and HR (if available). It isn't either when walking but walking distance will depend on steps anyway.
  • No speed.

the elevation is visible but nowhere save(?). For navigation in quick pace there's too much text, not enough simple visual cuesthe elevation is visible but nowhere save(?). For navigation in quick pace there's too much text, not enough simple visual cues

Running with navigation also isn't possible (won't track it as running, won't provide pace, distance etc.).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone!

I've merged some of your posts to this thread so we can keep the forums organized. Thanks for keeping me posted and I'm happy to share with you that the issue has been fixed. To use the Google Maps feature on Sense 2 and Versa 4, update the Fitbit app to the latest version and follow the instructions to set up the feature. For more information, see How do I use Google Maps on my Fitbit device? Google Maps will be coming to iPhone users in early 2023.

Your patience is truly appreciated and we hope you enjoy this feature.

Best Answer
Bonjour,

Thanks for your time and support resolving this
Issue.

I'm wondering is the app is working properly or if I'm missing a step but on the previous app on the Versa 2 and 3, I could see the map on the watch. It was also possible to see the current GPS coordinate. That was particularly helpful when baking and running etc.

Is there a way to see the map?

Get Outlook for Android<>
Best Answer
0 Votes

@4SQW9Y that wasn't official app but thirdparty. Fitbit's app is different and offers no map.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@t.parker It looks like we should raise a feature request to have running with navigation. That makes lots of sense. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@asiayeah type of navigation comes from mobile app. User doesn't select what will be tracked at all so only what GoogleMaps on mobile supports can be (sort of) tracked. Also, even when adding other types with missing map, pace and distance there is no reason for runner to use GM. I don't think Fitbit put any thought into how users may want to use that feature.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@t.parker Actually I think hiking is also required with Google map navigation. Fitbit should really give more thoughts about its Google map integration. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@asiayeah in here I wrote more in-depth analysis of this feature. There are lot more things that could be done better. If you in the middle of tracking with Exercise app you can't start navigation (for example, if you got lost) without exitting the Exercise app. You can pause navigation but this will split activities into multiple ones. For long hikes, this wouldn't work. You want probably one long activity with being able to navigate whole time or at some times. When developers design any feature they come up with usecases. I don't think anything like that happened in this case. It's same story with Spotify when it came up that Spotify couldn't be used during exercise - probably most important usecase. If something is advertise as a selling point I expect it to be a killer feature (well... at least decent when it comes to Fitbit). Why not to see how competitors do it? It's nothing new to have in-watch navigation, it's been out there for years and some features are common (which means that users need them most).

Best Answer
0 Votes

@t.parker Thanks for your sharing your experiences.

Concerning your criticism, please be aware that Fitbit OS never was meant to be able to multitask. It was built to be as power efficient as possible around an SoC that at first glance may seem to be little bit under powered.But exactly that's why we can get battery run times of several days out of a Versa or a Sense instead of having to check whether or not our device will be able to accompany us for 24 hours with all features turned on.

If you want a wearable that does everything in parallel, get a "real" smart watch and charge it every few hours.

Charge, Charge HR, Blaze, Versa, Versa 2, Charge 5, Versa 4, Aria, Aria 2, Pixel 4a, Pixel 7
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Talahthas this is a very outdated justification considering where competitors are now when it comes to power consumption and maps feature. Even Garmin Venu and Vivoactive lines which come without built-in navigation received proper navigation from third parties (brilliant Komoot) which cannot be done on any Fitbit (new watches have no SDK, and older watches are too weak to handle such an app and no storage for offline maps). Multitasking isn't necessary to get the feature done properly. If the company hypes the feature from the beginning then I expect a killer feature, not scraps. You can be pleased with scraps, that's ok. I prefer complete features. There are basic use cases that Fitbit didn't think of. No metrics when recording activities, splitting activity when pausing navigation within the same session, and no way to see HR or pace. Who this feature is made for? Not for hikers, not for walkers, runners, cyclists because. Have you tried to use it? Don't you find it bizarre the activity tracked by Maps provides no distance and pace of walk? Or that you can't check your HR? Let's forget about recording the map (or showing the map during navigation, that's beyond Fitbit's capabilities, didn't really expect that). Simple use-case (but very common) - running in an unknown area, done many times during holidays away, also abroad. Still need to look at my phone because I can't record run and navigate. If I get lost during the hike I need to use a phone again because the GoogleMaps app will end the activity tracking. Sense 2 could have done more than that but Fitbit decided to release anything just tick the box. I'm curious about your opinion. Who this feature is made for? 🙂 (btw. it's not Google Maps but Google Directions, I see no maps here).

Best Answer

I've also tried it and can't say I'm particularly impressed (although I'm used to Garmin navigation). 

One argument about having a map view is if someone goes off course. You can then see where you need to go to get back on course. All I saw on this was the information completely disappear, although I guess Google maps would have eventually re-routed. Still it's nice to be able to look ahead. 

Also the lack of real fitness tracking makes this somewhat useless. We shouldn't have to choose between one or the other.

I also agree with @t.parker that low power consumption is no longer a valid excuse. The competition can do it with often even better battery life than Fitbit (Fitbit have really fallen behind). 

Community Council Member

Nathan | UK

Looking to get more sleep? Join the conversation on the Sleep better forum.

Best Answer

Sounds like this Google Map integration is not well thought by Fitbit or Google at all. But it's more like a testbed for fitbit and Google integration only. I hope fitbit and Google will get more serious and bring us updates in the next release. Right now, it's not too usable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@t.parker Thanks for your personal oppinion!
Garmin has it's roots in devices for GPS and outdoor activities and I don't think any company will catch up to Garmin with those years and years of experience. Fitbit, on the other hand, has it's roots in the realms of fitness tracking where it was market leader many years until Apple released the Apple Watch.
So it's a little bit like comparing Apples to Oranges in this regard. For never having had integration with Google maps, Fitbit has done a pretty good job in a first step. And, by the way, Fitbit had nowhere hyped the Google Maps feature. It was announced just as a navigation tool for your wrist. No more and no less.
The way of integrating turn by turn navigation in their smart fitness watches is perfect for me, for example when I'm on the way in an unfamiliar city looking for a specific destination or to find my way back to my car that I've parked somewhere.
Besides my Fitbit devices, I have been using wearables from Jawbone, Misfit, Polar, BASIS, Garmin, Xiaomi, Honor and even two real smart watches running WearOS over the years. But I always came back to Fitbit for it's overall user experience.
But isn't it nice to be able to choose which device suits your own personal preferences?
So, to answer your final question, who this Google Maps feature is made for: For me and all people like me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Talahthas I couldn't agree fitbit has done a pretty good job even as a first step. The launch of Google Maps on fitbit is nothing smooth at all. The application tile suddenly appeared and then disappeared one day without any communication to users. I'm afraid this doesn't really qualify as a good user experience overall. 

Fitbit and Google has been hyping how great things can come out by working together. We expect Google will get the best fitness features while fitbit can get more machine learning, navigation and intelligent features. This Google map integration on fitbit is currently a disappointment and not a good showcase at all if you ask me. This simply doesn't show how fitbit + google can work together to bring us something great and innovative. 

Best Answer

@Talahthas " Fitbit, on the other hand, has its roots in the realms of fitness tracking where it was market leader many years" - was but can't be a leader forever when stopped expanding in that field. It's nice to remember the old days but time flies and the market is brutal. I agree that Garmin has its roots in GPS devices but now it's one of the leaders in sports/fitness tracking and training. For runners, cyclists, triathletes, and swimmers but also regular people who want to be just active it provides not only tracking but also training supporting features (which are nowhere to be found on Fitbit). Maps feature lack of a proper activity tracking which is a part of activity tracking.

"So it's a little bit like comparing Apples to Oranges" - disagree with that statement. All brands nowadays have devices that are comparable with Fitbits. There's the Garmin Venu line, Garmin Vivosmart, line Polar Ignite and Vantage lines, Suunto 7 (WearOS), Suunto 9 and Peak lines. Often the same price range and there are plenty of other brands, too. The market is a lot more saturated nowadays than it was 10 years ago. Most of the brands already took a part of that cake called "fitness tracking" and comparing is the right thing.

"For never having had integration with Google maps, Fitbit has done a pretty good job in a first step" - maybe if it was available on the device launch day. But several months later with initial release failure, withdrawal of the feature as it didn't work at all, then a lack of any communication with users about what was going on? Indeed, pretty good job... Standing ovation.

"The way of integrating turn by turn navigation in their smart fitness watches is perfect for me, for example when I'm on the way in an unfamiliar city looking for a specific destination or to find my way back to my car that I've parked somewhere." - this is just one of many possible use cases (and probably the simplest one, maybe the only Fitbit engineers thought of) when you don't expect to track your activity or don't care about metrics later. Looking at questions users come to this forum with - they do care about metrics and tracking. But I agree, that not everyone cares that much and such a basic implementation may be satisfying for some.

I paid nearly £300 for Sense 2 so don't be surprised I expect what other watches in this price range currently offer. I understand that some users require just a bare minimum of features and that's alright. Could be, Fitbit delivers that minimum but for the company, this isn't a way to stay relevant and be a leader. Living in the shadow of own past rarely works.

@asiayeah I was actually certain that the Google-Fitbit merger would bring a lot of good things - especially some quality. How wrong I was... Although, some recent app updates (notice that the Android app gets updates more frequently than it was happening in the past) and bringing some features in like finally editing activities may be a result of the Pixel Watch release (so that is a good thing indeed that came out of the merger, otherwise Android users probably still wouldn't be able to edit activities in the app).

Best Answer

Same here I cannot get Google Maps to work.  Same with Google Pay and answering calls.

You can restore it in the app, but it will still not work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also had problems syncing between Pixel pro 7. Took a few goes and restarts but most of it worked eventually. Except for all the features that were promised that don't work at all.

Best Answer
0 Votes