Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Music Control does not stay connected after Firmware Release (68.9.12)

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I like to control the music playing on my phone with my Versa when walking. (pause/forward to next song or change volume).  Impossible after the Firmware Release (68.9.12) update.  It worked without any problems before the update.

Already remove Versa from phone and repaired it.  Did not solve the problem.

This is what happens.  The only way to connect Versa Classic Bluetooth is to go to Versa settings to Restore Music Controls and turn on pairing.  Then to my phone and tell it to connect.  It will connect.

Then I swipe down on Versa and tap on the music controls icon.  Controls are there and I can pause and forward, but it only stays connected for a minute or two. Then Versa Music Controls says no phone connected.

When I look back under Restore Music Controls it went from PAIR to OFF.  If you start with PAIR and touch it again it goes to OFF and touch one more time to get to ON.  So after I pair it there is no way to go from PAIR or ON, without going to OFF first.  Which of course disconnects it.   If I turn the Versa setting to ON and then tell the phone to connect it will not connect.

I have a Moto g6 phone and reg. Versa which I bought in December 2018.

Also, I have to problem others have complained about.  It no longer tells me that I have a new email or text.  Which I going to try uninstalling the app and reinstalling to see if it helps.  Well not hold my breath as I can see that only appeared to work for some.

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

I just bought a Versa Lite on Saturday. My phone is a Motorola X4 (Google Fi edition). I've had Fitbits for years so I know my way around the app and how these devices work generally. I have so many questions about the ways in which this device doesn't work. 

• There's two BT connections? "Versa Lite" and "Versa Lite (Classic)" and they both do different things? But when one is active the other one stops functioning. I can control my music player OR I can get my text notifications, but not both at the same time. 
  • The Versa Lite (Classic) connection drops constantly. Like, within minutes of connection. And to get it going again, you have go through the whole Settings>Bluetooth Connection Options>Pair (because it defaults to "Off" the second the connection drops).
  • I can't get it to piggyback off my phone GPS for love or money. When put into exercise mode, it says "Connecting..." the entire time and no map is ever generated when I end my workout.
  • Just syncing to the app is very hit or miss. I can hit refresh dozens of time and eventually it'll do something. The weather app is also very hit or miss (probably due to the constant issues connecting to the phone). 

I have tried all the suggestions in these forums. Paired, unpaired, trashed the device in the app and set it up all over again, restarted phone, restarted Fitbit. If all these fancy smartwatch features aren't going to work (I should note the GPS pairing worked just fine on my old Charge 2) I might as well take it back and pay way less money for an Inspire HR. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PcAddict The fact that you're not getting notifications would indicate that there are genral BT connectivity issues, not only BT classic (responsible for playback control). When was the last sync (open fitbit app, tap on your profile picture, scroll down to Versa and check the time stamp)? Reinstalling the app is a good idea. If this does not help, you can also try:

1. Factory reset of Versa - this will wipe your Versa, so please sync first. You will also need to delete your tracker from your Paired Devices list in your phone Bluetooth settings. Reboot your phone. You can perform factory reset by going to Settings on your Versa, scrolling down to About and tapping Factory Reset. Once Versa resets to factory defaults, you will need to set it up again by adding it as a replacement device in the Fitbit mobile app.
  2. Downgrading Fitbit mobile app to the previous version, using apk file downloaded from the internet. At this point, I am not sure whether the sudden connectivity issues are due to the Versa firmware update or Fitbit mobile app update. Perhaps, it's worth a shot.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes

@soren_lorensen BT and BT Classic do different things. The first one is used by Versa to sync all your data and notifications. The second is used for controlling the music. I am merging your thread with this one as we're already discussing this issue. Please see my post above.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the exact same problem! It's driving me crazy. I hope they push out an update to fix it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue with ionic and Samsung phone. Music controls have stopped after the firmware update. Have tried the same things. Please help!

Best Answer

Ok, I did get notifications working again by removing the versa from my app and reinstalling it like a new device. However that did not solve my music issue. So I remove versa from my phone's Bluetooth and then did a factory reset to the versa. Then I reset up my versa as a new device. Finally my music Bluetooth connection is working and not disconnecting.  I did not have to rollback the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My LG Q7 paired itself with the Versa 2 I got for Christmas, and I am getting exercise updates in the mobile app on my phone. So the two devices are communicating. However, when I go to the music tab on the notifications screen, it says I should turn on pairing with my phone, even though they are clearly paired.

Given what others are saying on this thread, I'd say this is all the same bluetooth issue and it would be nice to get a software patch that addresses this problem. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have this exact same problem with Versa Lite and a Google Pixel 3. On the watch, I go to Settings > Bluetooth and switch "Restore Music Controls" from OFF to PAIR. Then in my phone's bluetooth connections, I select Versa Lite (Classic). Then music controls on my watch become available for a few minutes and then stops working. If I go back to the Restore Music Control settings on my watch, it has toggled itself back to OFF. This is one of the main features I wanted this watch for, and the problem has clearly existed for at least a few months without a real solution, so I will return the watch and look for another brand.

Best Answer
This issue was corrected for me with the latest firmware update on the
watch itself.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting. Is yours a Versa Lite? I just received a firmware update automatically yesterday to 38.70.7.14. Not only did it not help this problem, but now my screen often flickers off and on.

Best Answer

I have a Pixel 3A and am having the exact same problem with the music controls. It's highly annoying when I'm in the middle of my workout and the controls stop working on my Versa Lite so I have to stop and fish my phone out of my pocket to change a song. Barely had it a week and already debating on switching to a Galaxy Active 2

Best Answer
0 Votes
I do not think the phone makes a difference. I'm not sure why fitbit is not
addressing this issue. I had this problem for a long time (since i made the
original post). It has been working perfectly since the latest firmware
update for watch came out in january. I have not had to re-connect my music
controls at all. On occasion they pop up as not connected when I first
access them, but backing out and going in again they connect. They never
disconnect while actively listening. I would call fitbit - sounds like you
are having other issues now too. Good luck!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have changed phones since the initial post and still the watch says "pair" when I try to access music controls on the watch. Since I can control music to a rudimentary extent with my bluetooth headphones, this really isn't a problem for me. It is merely annoying contemplating that I could modify what is playing on the phone with the watch if only the watch could show me what was playing.

On a separate note, after the latest firmware update (the notification showed up when I changed phones. No idea if the other phone was part of the problem) I can enter weight and water intake from the watch and it seems to register correctly in the app. So, yeah! I guess. 

Best Answer
0 Votes