Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected GPS issues on Android devices - potential workaround

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

This is part of the message I wrote to a fellow community member re connected GPS issues on Android devices. There's a potential workaround, but I cannot guarantee it will work for everyone.

Starting with Android N or O , more stringent control over processes using GPS have been introduced. The issue is with Google Play services hogging resources and draining battery. So, basically what Android does now is it kills the processes that use GPS after some time. It seems to happen only for 3rd party apps like Fitbit, Strava, MapMyHike, All Trails etc., and not for native Google apps like Maps. Android kills these processes even if they're in the foreground. Fortunately, there's a workaround. You need to make sure the app is "locked" in the background. This way Android knows it's not supposed to kill it. Here's what I do:

1. Before my hike I make sure my versa can sync without issues. No sync - no GPS.

2. Open Fitbit mobile app.

3. Tap Android home button.

4. Tap Android recent apps button to open the drawer with currently running apps.

5. In the top right corner of each app you should see a little padlock. Normally it's in unlocked position.

6. Tap on the padlock to lock the app.

Note: for Samsung devices, please see @Srikanta post here.

Note 2: please make sure Fitbit mobile app is not being optimized by Android. In battery settings under optimization, Fitbit app should be marked as not optimized

It seems to work for me. I was able to track numerous hikes with maps and everything. Don't worry if your versa loses GPS connection at some point. It will reestablish it. Also, losing connection doesn't impact GPS tracking as it is not performed by versa but Fitbit mobile app itself. Versa just initializes the process.

Hope that helps. I will post a picture in a separate post as Fitbit takes time to approve posts with pics.

Marrrmaduke | Canada
Charge HR, Blaze, Charge 2, Charge 3, Inspire HR, Versa Lite, Versa SE, Aria

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

The little padlock in the top right corner. Tap it to lock the app in the foreground.The little padlock in the top right corner. Tap it to lock the app in the foreground.

The little padlock in the top right corner. Tap it to lock the app in the foreground.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
35 REPLIES 35

The little padlock in the top right corner. Tap it to lock the app in the foreground.The little padlock in the top right corner. Tap it to lock the app in the foreground.

The little padlock in the top right corner. Tap it to lock the app in the foreground.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't have the padlock. just an XScreenshot_20181104-115418.png

Best Answer

I wish the phone app would keep mileage information accurately, but this is not the case. Whenever the Versa loses connection, actual mileage does not get recorded by the phone app such that at the end of the ride, when everything is connected, the mileage is incorrect. This is different than the Strava app. It never gives me incorrect mileage; it is reproducible each and every ride. The Fitbit app varies greatly even when both apps are open and running at the same time. The relationship between the app and the Versa is more complex than simply initiating and completing the ride.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MJNinDallas I do not have Android N to test it as I'm running O. Previously before using this workaround each time Versa would disconnect or GPS got killed I would see straight lines ony map as the route wasn't tracked between two points. Of course distance would be incorrect as well. With this workaround at least there are no gaps and everything get tracked even if versa disconnects and reconnects. How complex the relationship between versa and mobile app is I'm not sure, but all GPS tracking is done on your phone. 

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

@babyblueut @MJNinDallas other solution that comes to my mind is enabling partial wake lock with this app while running Fitbit app at the same time. 

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for that- but Strava still works!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have android 8.1 Oreo

Best Answer
0 Votes

I misunderstood your prior post to mean... the app tracks mileage correctly but the Versa displays it incorrectly at the end of the ride. Indeed the app is broken, in that it loses GPS signal where other apps (non-Google) have no problem with this functionality. You were able to lock the app, but I can't. This should work even without opening the app given that Fitbit runs a service at all times even when the app is closed. I get the same results when the app is opened or closed.

Fitbit should pay Strava to help with their GPS handling code.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MJNinDallas no worries. 

@Couliepj not on my phone. Strava gets killed as well. This is a known issue actually (Google). As I said it might be a potential workaround for some. Still worth a try, IMHO. Even if your Strava works perfectly. 😊

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer

I don't no if this works for me . Will try tomorrow on my run.  I'm using samsung android phone with oreo(8.0).

But I would like to share how to lock the App .. this is how it looks in my android device I do not have that padlock mentioned instead I have tab expanded which shows the App lock feature 20181105_191954.jpg20181105_192023.jpg20181105_192120.jpg

I'm able to Lock the Apps.

Meanwhile please try this work around & let us know this works for others users 

Best Answer

@Srikanta thanks for showing the locking feature on Samsung. One more thing, also please make sure Fitbit mobile app in not being optimized by Android. In battery settings under optimization, Fitbit app should be marked as not optimized. 

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also found this. I will see how it works and if it helps today.

How to Whitelist Apps from Android Oreo’s Background Location Throttling

https://www.xda-developers.com/android-oreo-background-location-whitelist/

Best Answer
0 Votes
Here's hoping! Good luck and thank you
Best Answer
0 Votes

@babyblueut @Srikanta@Couliepj yes, whitelist and battery optimization settings have to be taken into account as well! Thanks for posting. 😊

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes
This is supposed to be a Fitness tracker to help me lead a healthier life,
it's causing me so much stress and anxiety, plus, who would have thought
you needed to be a computer programmer as well. Steve needs NONE of this
nonsense- it works 'out of the box-. A friend has suggested the Advertising
Standards Authority - they are still selling it knowing it doesn't work -
trading standards as well I think.!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Couliepj I fully understand your feelings because honestly I voiced them myself. Nevertheless, when it works, versa is exactly the device I wanted. I hope that it will follow lifecycle or Charge HR and after some time will get all these bugs ironed out. I remember getting hysterical about charge HR... I still believe Fitbit offers the best health-fitness platform as a whole. I, myself, am a proof, but I cannot disagree with you. The experience has been stressful so far. I hope it gets resolved quickly. Hang on in there, @Couliepj.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the tip. I'll try it as soon as the smoke clears (here in CA) and it's safe to workout outdoors again. I will update if this is successful.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner Ay! Please stay safe.

Marrrmaduke | Canada

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for that - Strava works perfectly well and I am not sure what you say applies to our situation, when logging with Fitbit, I loose 8% of the journey mileage as opposed to Strava that records perfectly.  Besides, Fitbit have acknowledged there is a problem.  But thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes