Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorize in Ionic/ngCordova app

ANSWERED

I am working on an Ionic (http://ionicframework.com) app that supports both iOs and Android. It is basically an AnjularJS web app that is wrapped by ngCordova so it can be used like a native app on mobile devices.

To load the authorization page, we would like to use the inAppBrowser plugin (http://ngcordova.com/docs/plugins/inAppBrowser/). This opens a browser window that overlays the app. The browser window shows the url of the webpage and a "Done" or "X" button to return the user to the app. Does this satisfy the conditions outlined under Obtaining Consent in the API docs?

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@wvogt @Alxn: Apologies for the delay. I had to look at the source for this. Unfortunately, inAppBrowser plugin is using UIWebView in iOS and WebView in Android instead of SFSafariViewController and Chrome Custom Tabs. So instead you should open the authorization in the native browser and use an custom URL scheme to return to your app.

And maybe submit a feature request to the plugin author to update to the more secure embedded browser options. If you link it, I'll +1 it.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
7 REPLIES 7

@wvogt: Could you please share a screenshot of this? Given your description, I think it would satisfy the requirements.

Best Answer

Sure,

We haven't implemented the Fitbit connection page yet, but here are some
screen shots of that show what the browser window looks like.

The first image shows our application with a hyperlink to Garmin Connect at the bottom of the Running section.

Addaero-App.png

Clicking that link opens up the browser overlay that shows the website.

Browser-overlay.png

The URL is at the top, with an X next to it. When the user touches the X, the overlay is closed, and they are back in the application where they left it. On iOS devices, the URL bar is at the bottom of the page and has a "Done" button rather than an X.

We would use this same method with Fitbit, by having a "Connect with
Fitbit" button that would open the browser overlay with the URL clearly
visible.

Does that work?

Thanks,
Wade

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @JeremiahFitbit, I actually have the very same question regarding the inappbrowser plugin. Could you have a closer look and verify if it complies with the fitbit policies?

https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-inappbrowser

Best Answer
0 Votes

@wvogt @Alxn: Apologies for the delay. I had to look at the source for this. Unfortunately, inAppBrowser plugin is using UIWebView in iOS and WebView in Android instead of SFSafariViewController and Chrome Custom Tabs. So instead you should open the authorization in the native browser and use an custom URL scheme to return to your app.

And maybe submit a feature request to the plugin author to update to the more secure embedded browser options. If you link it, I'll +1 it.

Best Answer

Hi @JeremiahFitbit, thanks for your reply. I already thought so but wasn't quite sure.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Jeremiah,

Wondering if the rules are still the same:  Apple is turning down apps that are not using the in-app browser right now so going to an external link would be a definite challenge.

Could you let us know if there is a change on fitbit's end?

Thank you!
Gregory

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JeremiahFitbit , Is this still not allowed to open Fitbit Auth page in Inappbrowser?

Best Answer