Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data from API call is different from Fitbit dashboard

ANSWERED

We used python-fitbit by Orcas to obtain intraday step data and what we get is different from Fitbit dashboard. We have cases where we see zero steps for a particular date but the dashboard shows +3K steps. Or, dates where the total number of steps is different from what we see in dashboard.

This code illustrates the main steps of obtaining intra-day data and processing it (e.g. obtaining the counts)

# user_id, client_secret, _access_token_, _refresh_token_, start_date, and end_date are passed in as input

fitbit_auth = Fitbit(
user_id, client_secret, oauth2=True, access_token=_access_token_], refresh_token=_refresh_token_])
current_date = start_date; date_increment = datetime.timedelta(days=1) while(current_date < end_date): current_date_str = current_date.strftime("%Y-%m-%d") data = fitbit_auth.intraday_time_series(
'activities/steps', base_date = current_date_str, detail_level = '1min', start_time = '0:00', end_time = '23:59') daily_steps = 0; data = data['activities-steps-intraday']['dataset'] for item in data: daily_steps += item['value’] # other processing …
print(f’{daily_steps} steps on {current_date_str}’) current_date += date_increment

I have also tried a more direct call like this to no avail:

# client_id and score are passed 

fitbit = OAuth2Session(client_id, client=client, scope=scope)
# authentication_flow ...
for date in dates: data_response = fitbit.get('https://api.fitbit.com/1/user/-/activities/steps/date/{}/1d/1min.json'.format(date)) data = data_response.json() data = data['activities-steps-intraday']['dataset'] daily_steps = 0; for item in data: daily_steps += item['value’] # other processing …

The differences between the data we get and Fitbit dashboard do not seem to follow any pattern and appear in between dates where there is a complete match. So, I don’t think there is an issue with our API calls given what we retrieve matches the dashboard some of the time. I am very confused by why there is such a difference. Any thoughts are much appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I believe the python application is not the problem as it properly obtains the data for most days. This post explains why intra-day is missing despite dashboard showing data: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Web-API-Development/Intra-day-data-zeroed-out/td-p/2563684

In fact, when I use the same python API to get time-series data (as opposed to intra-day data) I get the data that exactly matches Fitbit dashboard

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @einsian.  Have you tried the Web API Explorer tool to see if you get the data back correctly?  This will help eliminate your python application as the problem.  

Gordon Crenshaw
Senior Technical Solutions Consultant
Fitbit Partner Engineering & Web API Support | Google
Best Answer
0 Votes

I believe the python application is not the problem as it properly obtains the data for most days. This post explains why intra-day is missing despite dashboard showing data: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Web-API-Development/Intra-day-data-zeroed-out/td-p/2563684

In fact, when I use the same python API to get time-series data (as opposed to intra-day data) I get the data that exactly matches Fitbit dashboard

Best Answer
0 Votes