Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting Fitbit Data via API or Customer Support

The other community forum sections are thronged with people asking how to delete their data (e.g. here and here). While Fitbit offers a few methods are effectively hacks that can delete or negate some portions of a user's data (found here), their ultimate recommendation is to contact customer support if you want to delete or deactivate your account. There is generally no mention of the API. My questions are the following:

Via the API:

Within the fitbit Python module, there appear to be the option to delete things... for example:

• authd_client.delete_activities()
    authd_client.delete_heart()

When I try to delete the heart data however, I am given an error saying:

HTTPForbidden: Read-only API client is not authorized to update resources. Visit https://dev.fitbit.com/docs/oauth2 for more information on the Fitbit Web API authorization process.

To clarify, does this mean that:

• it's NOT possible to delete stuff via the API at all (... but why have those functions there?),
  • or does that mean there are some settings or approvals process which my managed app would have to get set up with to grant me write access? (if so, how do I do that?).
  • Are there any other function calls which can be used to delete data from device associated accounts via the API?  

Via Customer Support:

- What is the difference between account deactivation and deletion? If an account is delete, would it be possible to create a new account using the same email address?

- Is there some other other option that Customer Service can perform on an account besides deactivation or deletion which merely wipes the data associated with a given account?

- How long would any of the above processes take?

Best Answer
0 Votes
0 REPLIES 0