Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery draining quickly

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I just replaced the battery Saturday and it's down to half full 3 days later. I don't have any updates available. How can I get my battery to last?

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

My battery typically lasts 3-4 months, but in the last month or so, I've seen a few bogus battery level reports.  It will show as empty, but a few hours later, it will be back to full...

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
68 REPLIES 68

My last battery has been in since October and is still going strong.  One hint I've heard is to turn off auto synching if you're using a Bluetooth device.  It also uses up the battery if you spend a lot of time waking up your device to check your numbers.

Fitbit Zip

If you find your answer, be sure to mark it as a solution!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My battery typically lasts 3-4 months, but in the last month or so, I've seen a few bogus battery level reports.  It will show as empty, but a few hours later, it will be back to full...

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing!  Suddenly notified me that my battery was nearly dead last week, so I ran to get a replacement battery.  Before I could change it out, the old battery showed full again.  A week later, same message, and this time I did replace it.  Just got a mesage again saying it's low.  Everything is up to day unless there's been a new update in the last week.  Suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes
I took a clean pencil eraser and cleaned my fitbit contacts and the battery. Also tried to make sure prongs were not bent. Popped mine out a couple times to make sure it was seating properly. That was also about the time Jim had said he was getting false readings. Mine suddenly started reading the battery again after all that.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I charged my battery yesterday, it showed all lights blinking, so it was full. This morning it was dead again.

Best Answer

Mine is doing the same thing. I got a warning that my battery was low, it seemed fairly soon as it's probably only been two months or so, but it was my first time replacing the battery so I figured maybe that was the shelf life. However, I replaced it two weeks ago and just got a message saying my zip battery is low again! I'm not sure if it's a difference in the brand (I bought Rayovac batteries because that's all the store I went to had; I think the one that came with the tracker was Panasonic), but that seems like a big change and I can't imagine anything about my usage has changed. I've changed out of the battery, again, and we'll see how long this lasts. I'm not sure if there's just something wrong with some of these, or what - but if it keeps up at this rate, I might as well pay the extra money to upgrade to a rechargeable device!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The ZIP does not have a rechargable battery. Are you in the wrong forum?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am having the same problem. I started using my fitbit zip in May 2014. I have replaced battery twice (last time was less than a month ago) and battery is "dangerously" low again.  This is getting too expensive.

Best Answer
There is no way to know if your battery is low or not on the Zip as far as I can tell. Mine switches from indicating full to dangerously low to back again, several times on some days. Been going on for a year. I changed the battery day before yesterday, now it reads empty but the tracker is still working. My software is up to date. This is beyond frustrating but there is nothing that can be done I guess.
Best Answer

Just replaced my Zip bettery again, this latest battery only lasting two weeks.  Last night it wouldn't sync, and this morning the battery symbol was showing with a slash through it and flashing.  I tried the tutorial from another post about adjusting the little connection spring, cleaning the contacts with alcohol - no luck. 

I've had the Zip almost a year, and have probably had to replace the battery 6-8 times in that time period - very frustrating!  The bettery before this one lasted two months, which is probably the best I've ever done with it.  As much as I love my Zip, not sure I want to have to deal with battery replacements every few weeks.  😞  The phantom low battery notifications are annoying, but at least a sync fixes the problem and it keeps working - but a two week drain?  Not good.

Best Answer

I think it's time to get rid of the fitbit and get a new product. My husband has a Garmin and my daughter has a Jawbone and they don't have these issues. I'm telling everyone I know to avoid Fitbit as it's far too expensive to maintain. It's clearnow that there are superior options.

Best Answer

I just replaced my battery and now the display will not shut off.   Even after opening the Zip and resetting the battery several times, I get a couple of error codes (E4B0, I think) and then the display will not shut off and constantly shows the distance (e.g. 1.72 miles).  Has this device gone bad?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello everyone!Smiley Happy I realize this response is a long time coming, but did want to take the time to address your posts.

Problems with Batteries draining, low battery notices showing and Zips turning off may be a connection issue between the battery and the tracker. To correct it, take out the battery and you should see a metal spring in the battery compartment, check if the metal spring is making contact with the battery and it is lined. Here is how it should look like:

original.jpg

When your Zip shows a low battery sign, it means that the battery needs to be replaced, a fresh 3V coin battery, CR2025 will need to be put in; open the Zip with the door tool and replace the old battery, like this:

Putting zip's battery.jpg

@ThreePecans @AmyRhubarb @MaryEllenG @eboucher @sfabian @pearl 

If you are still encountering a problem after doing this, I recommend to contact our Customer Support team here so they can further assist with this.

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Believe it or not I am actually capable of following directions and changing the battery successfully. If you follow this chain, you will see the issue that I (and apparently many others are having) is that the battery is draining and needs to be replaced far more often than the manufacturer suggests. It appears most of us have tried fixes likely cleaning connections and ensuring the software is up to date but that hasn't resolved the problems.  Since fitbit doesn't seem to care it's time to change products.

Best Answer

@sfabian I recommend to get in touch with our Customer Support team here, I am sure they will be able to assist you in this matter Smiley Happy

Fitbit Community ModeratorHelena A. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was this helpful? Yay! If it was, please vote for it or mark this as a solution. Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The battery life icon on tools is at times incorrect. I replaced my battery about 10 days ago. On Feb 7, the battery life icon showed about 50% remaining. As I was getting ready to log out several minutes ago, I noticed that the icon now shows nearly 100% remaining. I have screen shots for both days, if someone will let me know how to submit to support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As far as I was ever able to tell, there really is no way to know how much life remains in the battery of a Zip. Just keep an extra battery with you at all times and frequently check to make sure your Zip is still working if you are on a walk. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for sharing your experience with Fitbit Zip @pearl! Nice to see you here @Bub001! This may have a quick solution.  I would recommend checking the metal spring inside the Zip's battery compartment. Sometimes your tracker will have battery issues when this is bent. Here is a picture of how it should look like:

zipbent.jpg

Keep me posted! 🙂 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer

The battery life is a complete mystery to me.  I’ve never had a battery last more than 3 months. Most don’t make it that long. Mine will also show drained when they are pretty new and then mysteriously revive. Sometimes adjusting the spring works, sometimes not. Mine also showed drained about the same time yours did. I did nothing and it’s fine now. I’ve had a zip for several years and just put up with it as I don’t want a wristband model.

Best Answer