Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot open the Zip battery door

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I can't remove the battery door on my Zip using a coin. Attempts have already caused some damage to the coin slot. Any ideas about how to proceed. Thanks...

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
80 REPLIES 80

I have tried all of these suggestions and none of them work, the door won't open.  The back is now so damaged that a coin won't fit anymore.  I guess i just blew $60 for nothing.  So frustrating.

Best Answer
Yeah I sent mine back...shouldn't be that difficult

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
Thanks. I figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Got this product few years ago in my company, did not try to use it until today. I also cannot open the battery door. Door opener/tool does not work. I also tried with a coin (a quarter), with the same result - door just does not rotate into unlocked position. Then I tried your trick with a towel and hammer, multiple times, and nothing happens. Absolutely disappointed ...

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Forums @EStrah! Thanks for sharing your experience with your Zip and for the troubleshooting you tried before posting here. 

Please confirm that you have tried to open the Zip's battery following these steps: 

1. Insert the tool into the slot on the back of the unit.
  2. Turn the door counterclockwise to remove it. 

openbattery.PNG

I look forward for your reply! 🙂 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I cannot remove the battery door either.  This is beyond frustrating.  I have used the tool that comes with it but the arrow will not get all the way to or even past the unlock icon.  Where do I go from here?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine is in the junk drawer. It’s not usable without a new battery. And I can’t get the door open.

Laine Bryce

Moderator edit: personal information displayed

Best Answer

Try using a hair drier for about 30 seconds. It worked for me.

Best Answer

Welcome @pamdaber@lbsch5711, and @EStrah! Thanks for sharing your experience with your Zip. I wanted to assure you that we take into consideration all the comments provided by our users to continue improving your experience.

@pamdaber, and @lbsch5711 To further assist you, I've created a Support case on your behalf. You should receive an email from Customer Support at the email you used to register with the Community forums. I'm sure that they can find a way to help. In the meantime, please make sure to check out our Warranty Policies.

@EStrah I'm sorry to hear that Zip is not the right fit for you. I appreciate all your feedback this helps ups to keep improving our products and services. I hope in the future you give us an opportunity to help you on your fitness journey.

Keep me posted if you have any other question.

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So...I lost my Fitbit 3 or 4 years ago and just found it in a pants pocket!  Yay!  Surprisingly, I couldn't open it with a quarter, and thought the battery had corroded it shut.  I read all the responses here - surprised there's a "tool" - have no idea where that would be.  Tried the hammer, hitting it harder and harder since I don't think I'm going to get this thing to ever work again anyway.  As a last resort, I tried the hair dryer and it worked!!  Bingo!

Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums @LizzybethC, let me give you a warm welcome to our Community. Smiley Happy

Thanks for sharing your experience! Wow, what an odyssey to open your Zip. So glad that you found it in your pants. Is this working okay? I'm eager to hear the outcome of your story. Smiley Wink

See you around. 

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The hairdryer method absolutely works!! I also couldn't open my Fitbit Zip to change the battery.  Tried coins and a flathead screwdriver. That didn't work but it did damage the plastic slot. I hadn't used my Zip in so long that I had forgotten it came with a tool for opening the back (Thanks to the previous posts for mentioning it!). The tool worked....but only after I used the hairdryer for about 30 seconds.  I was almost ready to toss the Zip....so glad I didn't.

Best Answer

Hi, YojanaFitbit - thanks for checking back.  I changed the battery, it seemed to work for one day, then died.  So disappointing. I haven't thrown it away yet, but I'm afraid it's a lost cause. 

Beth

Best Answer

interesting you should mention that. my batteries were dying pretty quickly so i bought a bunch of CR2025 batteries from Amazon, Sony brand and about 1/2 of them are either dead already, or die in a day or 2. i've had a couple last the usual 2 or 3 months but not many. 

Best Answer

Hi @CCT74, welcome to the Forums! @LizzybethC and @Steveski, nice to see you again! Woman Very Happy

WoW! Smiley Surprised That's a really great workaround @CCT74, not sure if it will work in all cases but it's definitely possible you will help other users that might be having similar issues with their Zip. I hope you can keep using your Zip for long time! Thanks for sharing this with us.

@LizzybethC and @Steveski why don't you try some steps to clean your Zip contacts? That might help. I'd like to know what model of phone are you using too.

Let me know if this helps. Robot wink

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A tool that works quite well to remove the battery door is a Channel Lock S5388CB 3/8 inch flathead screwdriver. It fits the slot in the door perfectly. The screwdriver is fairly large so it won't get lost easily. It costs $5.99 at Amazon . As a screwdriver it is a very useful tool so your money will be well spent. Lay the Zip face down on a towel, hold it with one hand to keep it from turning, press lightly down with the screwdriver located in the slot on the battery door and rotate the door counter clockwise. Note that there are detents that prevent the door from coming open while you are jogging and the door must be gently pressed down a bit to clear the detents before you can rotate and remove the door. Remember that you can buy batteries in bulk, 10 or more to a package very inexpensively from Amazon.

Best Answer

Thanks for the tip Sparky! 🙂

Best Answer

Hi @SparkyO, thanks for sharing this information with us. As @Steveski mentioned, it's a great tip. Some users have also mentioned that using a coin is really helpful when you don't have the door tool. 

door tool.PNG

Let me know if you need further help with your Zip.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i can't say enough tho that you should NOT use a coin, ever. that seems to destroy the thing. seems like a coin should do the trick but it DOES NOT. please don't use a coin. 

Best Answer

Using a coin to remove the battery door on a Fitbit Zip is like trying to
fit a round peg into a square hole. You may get it to work but you will do
it some damage.

Because of its round shape a coin will not make proper contact with the
sides of the square (OK, Rectangular) slot in the battery door and the edges
of the slot will get chipped away and you will very likely quickly reach the
point of no return with too much material chipped away.

A Channel Lock S388CB 3/8 inch Flat Head Screwdriver, $5.99 at Amazon, fits
the slot well and should not cause any damage to the battery door.

Lay the Zip face down on a towel, hold it with one hand to keep it from
turning, press lightly down with the screwdriver located in the slot on the
battery door and rotate the door counter clockwise. Note that there are
detents that prevent the door from coming open while you are jogging and the
door must be gently pressed down a bit to clear the detents before you can
rotate and remove the door.

Remember that you can buy batteries in bulk, 10 or more to a package very
inexpensively from Amazon.

What you save buying the batteries in bulk will pay for the screwdriver.

Best Answer