Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot open the Zip battery door

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I can't remove the battery door on my Zip using a coin. Attempts have already caused some damage to the coin slot. Any ideas about how to proceed. Thanks...

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
80 REPLIES 80

exactly Sparky. just when i thought we had this issued "solved" (sorta) the fitbit moderator actually suggests you use a coin. {bangs head on wall} sigh, oh well.

Best Answer

Thanks a million for your suggestions @SparkyO and @Steveski. User experience is greatly appreciated, I'm sure your comment will help a lot of users. Smiley Happy

@Steveski We all want to share a positive experience in the Fitbit Community Forums. Our Community Guidelines request every user to be polite and respectful in all interactions with other members, since the Forums are designed to provide a place for customers to seek and receive help from other community members; let's try to keep comments constructive and relevant to the topic.

Have a good one!

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

our comments were on topic. spot on actually. the whole point of this entire thread is based on the difficulty of opening the battery door and many of us have noted that a coin destroys the door. i was just shocked that you, a fitbit moderator, would suggest using a coin to destroy it, i mean open it. 

Best Answer

Hi @Steveski, thanks for getting back! Got it! All suggestion are well received here since we have users all around the world facing same issues with different scenarios! Thanks for the clarification! Hope to keep seeing your comments, since as mentioned before user experience is very important for us.

See you around!

Want to get more active? ᕙ(˘◡˘)ᕗ Visit Get Moving in the Health & Wellness Forums.

Comparte tus sugerencias e ideas para nuevos dispositivos Fitbit ✍ Sugerencias para Fitbit.

Best Answer

Well said. I routinely get 138-145 days out of each battery. No duds. I buy in bulk from Amazon.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for sharing this information @SparkyO. Have you contacted our support team to check this battery issues? If not, let me give you a hand with that.

Keep me posted.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I will admit to having used a coin the past, due to losing the "tool" that it came with quite frequently. But previous times, the back always came off easily and the coin never did any visible damage.

However, this time the back seems to have glued itself shut (might just be due to wear after owning the thing for 4+ years) and repeated attempts with a coin have ended in naught (and significant damage, as you've warned). I will attempt to liberate a screwdriver from a friend before I attempt any more openings with a coin from now on.

Best Answer
0 Votes

After losing the battery door opening tool, I tried everything to get the door open. Finally, I found this site and used the hair dryer suggestion. I can't believe it. I used the dryer for about 30 seconds and then turned it with a wide flat blade screw driver. The darn thing finally opened easily and I was able to replace the battery.

Thank you soooo much for your excellent idea. 

Best Answer

Nice to see that you're digging into the Forums @Thiochrome and @calverton, let me give you a warm welcome to our Community. Robot Happy

Thanks for sharing your experience with your Fitbit Zip, thanks to your comments in this thread and to other user's suggestions we've updated the "Accepted Solution" for this issue. Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. User experience is by far the most important information for us.

I'll be around in case that you need anything else. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the suggestion about the blow dryer. I dropped my fitbit zip three day ago and display is not working. My friend had a zip that she wasn't using so I borrowed it. It needed a new battery but I couldn't get the door opened. I followed the suggestion about using the blow dryer which worked like a charm.

Thanks

Best Answer
It worked for me also.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I used the blowdryer method and mine turned a little, but not all the way to the icon.  Still stuck. 😞

Best Answer
The blow dryer didn't work the first time but I blew on the back a bit longer the second time and it turned right away. Good luck.
Best Answer

Welcome to the Forums @alamb29 nice to see you here. @calverton@joira50, thanks for confirming that this has worked for you! I'm glad to hear that you're back on track. 

@alamb29 why don't you try a couple of time? As @joira50 is suggesting, if that doesn't help; we might have to check with our support team.

I'll be around. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree. I can't get the door open either  after many attempts. All that has happened is there is marred plastic. I am planning to return it since it is unusable without the battery.

Yes, I too will be looking for a different type of tracker.

I tried this.  It did not help.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

How does the hair dryer method work

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just saw your post and replying just in case you're still trying to get battery door open. I used a blow dryer and blew on the door for about 30 seconds. It didn't work the first time so I tried again and it turned really smoothly. This works but not always. Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It would be nice if the "tool" actually looked like one.  I knicked and scratched the back of the fitbit before I noticed this unidentified thing in the package and thought maybe that was the "tool".  So cute of them to hide it in plain sight.  ha.ha.  X(

P.S. I still can't open the back.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Which coin?  So far I've tried a quarter, nickel, dime and penny.  Do I need a coin from another country?  Where's a Canadian penny when I need one?   (Sarcasm)

Best Answer
0 Votes

First, you have to figure out that that unidentified thing in the box is a "tool".  Then use the "tool" and discover that it doesn't work.

Best Answer
0 Votes