Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot open the Zip battery door

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I can't remove the battery door on my Zip using a coin. Attempts have already caused some damage to the coin slot. Any ideas about how to proceed. Thanks...

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
80 REPLIES 80

So, approximately 10 months later....  I just purchased a fitbit zip and have become one of the multitudes who can't get the back off to insert a battery.  I tried 4 different coins and that "tool" and a screwdriver.  Maybe if I just stare at it like a cat?   Yes I'm extremely annoyed. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If the tool won't open the door, try using a blow dryer and blow on the door for about 10 seconds. If it won't open, try blowing a little longer. My friend gave me a fitbit zip that she wasn't using but I couldn't get the door to open. I tried this method as suggested by some on the board and it worked the second time. 

Good luck!

Best Answer

I just ordered it from Amazon.  Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
1- you can't put a round peg into a square hole

2- always read everything before doing anything

3- one of my earlier posts explains how to get the back off using a flat
blade screwdriver you have to use the right size screwdriver. The slot on
the back of the Zip is square and you can't use a round coin to open it

Rick (Sent from my Visiplate ver. 2.0)
Best Answer
0 Votes

In the end, i looked at a YouTube video and figured out that it has to be held in one hand.  I had it on a hard surface.  I got the back off with the "tool" (I insist on putting quotation marks around "tool" because IMHO it's an absurdity.)

Best Answer

Using a hairdryer worked for me too! Thanks for the tip.

Best Answer

I used a suction cup and it worked after denting the back for hours  !

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used the hair dryer method & it worked perfectly with the tool. I wish I could find another back. I have a perfectly good fit bit zip but the back piece crumbled while trying to get the back off with a screwdriver.

Best Answer

....Same here. Wife lost her Zip-tool, and nickels, quarters, 1/2 width screwdrivers were no use.

Tried the hair dryer for 30-some odd seconds...bingo, opened right up with a nickel.

Thanks Community!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine still isn’t working

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also faced the same problem. However, I have tried to get some solution for it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has anyone tried creating this 3D replacement battery door for the Zip? https://www.stlfinder.com/3dmodels/fitbit-zip-replacement-battery-cover/ I've got 4 zips without doors and interested if anyone's tried this. I don't have a 3d printer, so would likely have to pay a premium for one of those on-demand services, but surely I'm not the only one needing a door or a battery tool.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I feel your pain I finally found the right coin to get it to open.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@alexjohn did you mean to link to a proper Zip tool you've successfully used? Your link went to some cardboard tube company. I'm using a 3D printed recreated back cover (linked above) and tool as had a ZIp without either.

if anyone uses heat to open a stuck back, just be quick to not damage the circuitry.

3D Recreation of Fitbit ZIP Tool3D Recreation of Fitbit ZIP Tool

Best Answer

Hair dryer worked! I didn’t have any thing to loose by trying it! I have been trying to get that cover off for years! 

Best Answer

Thanks for posting.  I just tried the hair dryer after trying everything else and it worked.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for sharing this! The hairdryer trick worked for me! 

Best Answer

I’m glad this hint is still working!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lay it down on a towel then heat up the back with a hair dryer.  Use a nickel to open it up.  Just replaced the battery on a Zip that's been in a drawer for 4 years and this worked like a charm!  Now, to see if I can get it to sync.................lol

Best Answer

I also would like to know what coin

Best Answer
0 Votes