Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip Battery Life

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Zip battery life keeps getting shorter.  Things worked fine for a couple months and then my battery changes are now every couple weeks.  This is the second Zip that I've had that this is happening.  I cannot wear a Fitbit on my wrist and this pocket one was good for me.  Have had 2 of then since Xmas 2017.  Did all the things they listed online (cleaning contact, adjusting pin, etc) to help but still issues.  Others having same problem? 

Since replies just add to the post list I'm just editing this one to update.

I'm on my 3rd charcoal one in 6 months.  Also have turned off any extra features (all day sync) which may add to battery drain.  Seems like they have an issue with these models.  Instead of a fix, they just send a new one.  Too bad because it gets to be a nuisance others have mentioned.

Best Answer
33 REPLIES 33

Hi @Bourque59

We have a Zip in the family and found by using good quality fresh date batteries, it seems to last longer. When using older, off brand batteries, it seemed to need replacing more frequently. Might be worth your trying that, too.

Let us know what happens.

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

I do use good batteries (Duracell or Panasonic) and have never been able to get more than a month of use out of them.  Lately it is only about 2 weeks before I get a yellow battery symbol when syncing.  Even when I test the batteries after taking them out they still show good and work in other things fine.

Best Answer

@Bourque59  with the one I know about, the battery replacement is a CR2025, although it can take a CR2032. They are slightly different in size.

All day sync off?

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the awesome help @Odyssey13! Welcome to the Community @Bourque59! I appreciate that you have shared your experience with your Zip tracker. 

If you already tried the kind suggestion of @Odyssey13 you might want to verify that there is proper contact between the battery and the battery contacts inside your Zip. You can do this by opening the battery door of your Zip, removing your battery, and ensuring that the silver battery tab located in the lower right half of your tracker is flush with the white box outline in the tracker housing. The process can be followed here.

Keep  me posted with the outcome! 😉 

Lucy | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you like my answer? Vote for it!

Best Answer

I already do that everytime I have battery issues (as noted in original post).  Make sure the contacts (silver pin) are good and firm against the battery. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for the reply @Bourque59! Sorry for missing that info. I appreciate all the time and effort you have invested to solve this. 

Upon checking with Support I was able to see that you recently updated a previous contact you had with them. At the moment, this is the best option. I'm sure that the can check out in our system what is happening with your Zip and help you to get back on track in no time. 

Keep me posted if you have any other question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have had the same problem, complained for weeks, and Fitbit very kindly sent me a new Zip last week, not that I expect it to make much difference.  The problem is not the battery life as much as the constant fluctuations - it was high a few days ago (about six weeks new) after being at medium for several days.  Then yesterday it was medium, and this morning, low, to the point where I couldn't even sync after my 6K paces.  I have now lost those 6K, and started up the new Zip, which is a model 5.86 - the old one was 5.9.  I wonder what's going on?

Best Answer

Very similar to the issues I am having.  I have contacted support but they have not responded back yet.

Best Answer

It's great to have you here @KnitsandWalks! Thanks for sharing your feedback about Support and your Zip tracker. To make sure that your new tracker is working correctly, please restart it. 

Also, make sure that is properly setup. If you remember the steps you took from your walk, you can manually log them. To do so, check out the help article How do I manually log an activity or exercise? 

I hope you're doing well @Bourque59!Thanks for the update. I'm sure that Support will be in touch really soon. I'm confident that they can assist you further. 

Catch you later! 🙂 

Best Answer

Received a replacement Fitbit in mail today.  Hope it lasts longer than the last two did.  It seems the problem is easier to replace it than to solve the real issue.  

Best Answer

Hi Bourque59,

What colour is your Zip?  My first one was charcoal, and lasted just over two years.  When it started giving problems, since I was out of the two years, they offered me half price on a new Zip, and I chose a magenta one, received at the end of September.  Didn’t last long, and they sent a replacement in November.  Again, the battery life was a problem - it just fluctuated, high, low, then high again, then nothing, after three weeks.  They kept telling me how to install the battery, which is crazy.  

Got the third one a week ago, pink again, but the previous ones were model 5.9,and this one tells me it’s 5.86, just like my old black one.  It also feels sturdier, 

I’m hopeful that this one won’t require a new battery every three weeks.  

Best Answer

Thanks for the update @Bourque59! Good to hear that Support was able to  I'm grateful for all your input, this is really helpful for us. Since it keep us improving our products and services. 

If you have more questions why you received this resolution, please update your case for extra help. I'm sure that Support can clarify further. 

Catch you later! 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Similar problem ... short battery life getting shorter. Replaced on 06/11/2018. Had to replace again today (06/21/2018. I use Energizer (2025) or other name brands. I much prefer the Zip over the wrist bands, but this is starting to be too much trouble (not to mention the expense).

Best Answer

Sorry this was done in error.  Please delete this response.  Updated original post in stead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mine too. Went back to an old Zip and the battery life seems fine. I’m not able to update this zip so maybe it was something in the last update 

Best Answer

OK - day two of new Zip and it displays "battery empty".  After jiggling it a bit and re-sync it shows "battery full".  Obviously, the Zips have an issue with battery contact internally.  It is a pedometer and should be able to handle the vibration caused by its use - it doesn't!  After having 3 of these in six months and still having these issues, Fitbit should be looking at the real issue and not just sending out replacements which do not work any better.  

Maybe my body has an "aura" which interferes with the Zip polarity and battery - LOL!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Welcome to the Community  @JUliamum! Thanks for the update @Bourque59! I appreciate that you have shared your experience with your Zip. 

If you are having issues with your battery since the last Zip update and you have and iOS device (iPhone or iPad), the recommendation is to make sure that you have your All Day Sync feature off. You need to go to account, then tap the picture of your tracker and scroll down and disable this option. Also, in the meantime you can use a compatible computer or Android device to sync. If you have an Android device, check out the help article Why isn't my battery charging?

@Bourque59 Please confirm that you have checked the metal spring inside the Zip's battery compartment. Sometimes your tracker will have battery issues when this is bent.The process can be followed here.

Keep me posted! 🙂 

Best Answer

Hi all, 

I received my third Zip since last September, new battery in and online with new device last week.  I do not have All Day Sync on, and I sync once or twice a day on the desktop using the dongle, which is removed after syncing.  This afternoon, I was surprised, on checking the battery life settings on the dashboard, that the battery reading was at medium.  Odd, thought I, new battery one week ago.  So I tried syncing a couple of hours later and hey presto, back to high battery life.  These fluctuations are what caused the problems with my last two Zips.  I suspect the problem is in the software, not the device itself.  Please please please do not tell me to check the battery casing and silver tab and watch a video about how to restart the Zip.  If the battery is and has been at high for a week, it has obviously been inserted correctly.  Any fluctuations are not of my doing.

Over to you, Lucy and team.  

I love my Zip, but I need to get a few more 2025 batteries, just in case.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Lucy,
I am well aware of the battery contact issues and look at that every time I insert a new battery. All day sync is off and I only sync it once or twice a day to see my progress and make sure it is recorded since a couple times the device has just stopped and I have lost the days data. Like others have stated - the battery life is the issue, as well as the display of the battery being medium or low and then next check it is full. I have a dozen batteries sitting on my desk that I have replaced and checked out and are still good. Maybe there is something in the software which triggers this due a voltage dip in the button cell - but then we're getting too technical. It would be nice to get some input from the design side of things to maybe offer some advice.
Tom
Best Answer