Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zip battery drain after iOS 2.39 update

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Fitbit update 10/9/2017: This has been resolved in update 2.41.1. Please update your app  if you continue to experience this issue. Thanks again for your reports and patience. As this issue is resolved, I'll be closing this thread for further comments. 

I've merged a few posts together because we received several reports of battery draining for Zip users on iOS after the 2.39 update. Our team is currently investigating the root cause of this issue and will be hard at work to get a fix out as quickly as possible to get you all back on track. Once I receive an update from them I will update this thread and will make sure to keep you all in the loop.

Also note, we have had reports that turning off all-day-sync has helped as a workaround and worth a try until this issue is resolved. 

Thanks for your help with reporting this and for your continued patience.

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
175 REPLIES 175

The battery drain is unacceptable since some update, either IOS or Fitbit, Just loaded the last battery of 3 packs in 2 weeks, will be my last till there is a fix.  Battery used to last 3-4 months.

Best Answer
Thought one of the fixes recommended worked. But battery only last a couple days
Beyond frustrating. These trackers should all be replaced by Fitbit as this problem is not due to our carelessness but a poorly planned software update .hopefully Fitbit will reach out with replacements to the dedicated customers!
Best Answer

Big Jake. 

Thank you for ur time to send correction, luckily I forgot to buy it today   I'll get it tomorrow , thank you once again

Best Answer
0 Votes

gdj1947

hello: yeah defenetly you are so right , but Fitbit is trying to solve the situation,  don't worry they'll get to you and have the solution , that's what life is all about , right.  Good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is a ridiculous problem that has not been resolved by Fitbit.  If it truly is a software/update issue...then find a solution.  I have had this problem for over 3 months. Not only it is expensive to replace a battery every couple of days, but I never really know if it is going to track all day.  It is beyond frustrating and I am very disappointed with Fitbit.

Best Answer
Hi

I totally understand your frustrations.

It really is the iOS app draining the battery. From what I found while i have the iOS app open it is trying to sync with the Fitbit, and therefore drains the battery physically. Even when I turned all day sync off, it was still trying to sync with the zip.

The solution I found was to delete the apps off my iPad and iPhone and use the app on my laptop, with the dongle that came with the zip. I have had a new battery in for a week and it is still showing green. The app on the computer does not seem to keep trying to sync. But I do close it when not using it.

It is not so convenient and I can't track my walks, which is slightly frustrating, but it works and I don't have to keep replacing batteries.

It is not a physical problem in the zip, so bigger batteries/ new zip is not going to mend it.

I am sure Fitbit are doing their best to resolve it and so I'm just being patient. The laptop solution works for me really well for the interim and means i can track my steps and exercise etc.

Hope that helps

🙂

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

Thanks for the info

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi iOS zip users - just wanted to let you know we are still working on this issue. It is a high priority and we hope to have a fix soon. I'll update this thread again next week.  

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer

Thank you 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I got a temporary fix. Deleted the Iphone app. Put an App on my Win10
desktop and everything is back to
normal on low battery drain!
Best Answer

I am using the correct battery with no luck.  When I put the battery in it shows green.  By the next day it is yellow. The battery tracks and works just doesn't last.  The prongs and clean and connected

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree.  What other options are available for  those of us who do not want to wear our Fitbits on our wrist?  Not only do I not to wear it on my wrist but I don't think they are as accurate.  Arm movements seem to increase the step count.  I got to 5000 steps when I was ironing.  I certainly did not walk even half that distance from the ironing board to the closet which was about 6 ft. away.

Best Answer

If that were the reason, why did it just suddenly become a problem.  I have used the Zip for more than a year and never had a battery problem before.  Nothing in my usage has changed.  Why don't you make a Fitbit that can be charged at night (like the Apple watch for example) but does not have to be worn on your wrist if you can't resolve this issue.  I really don't want to give up my Fitbit, but...... I need a reliable device!

Best Answer

VXZ

i agree with you. It happened to me. Hahaha.  I love my Fitbit and so use to it. I got a replacement from Fitbit cause it apply. But once I got it in mail and started using it, with a new batt , the next day was requesting a new one again. I haven’t replace it.  It’s been too much 

Best Answer

How high a priority can this be? It has been well over a month since I started going through batteries. I think it is now time for Fitbit to step up and offer us an alternative tracker at a deep discount. I know that you offer them very cheaply to schools so why can't you take care of your customers, some that have been with you for YEARS. I am getting so angry.

Best Answer

I see that there’s was an update to the app 4 days go. Does this resolve the battery issue for the zips? 

Best Answer

I am also having repeated issues with the battery in my zip.  I have not read this entire thread since it is pretty lengthy and goes back in time awhile.  Will Fitbit be replacing these or giving credit towards a working one?

Thank you!

Best Answer

I have not had any contact with Fit Bit.  Others have said that the problem of battery drain is related to a software update and FitBit says they are working on the problem.  They have been saying that for a couple of months now.  If it is software related, why can't they simply return the operating system to what the previous version was?  I am sure Fit Bit does not want to talk to me as I have not been very complimentary of their engineers.  The Fit Bit people's standard answer is to make sure your battery is making good contact with the contacts inside the Zip.  I accused them of using the standard engineer's answer and not thinking outside the box.  I have found using the 2032 battery would provide better life.  The 2032 battery is only 0.7 mm thicker than the 2025 battery.  It has more battery capacity than the 2025, but not enough to account for the longer life I experienced.  I suspect there are other variables at work here, and Fit Bit either refuses to acknowledge those differences or the battery is significantly different than I thought.  In any case, I continue to use the 2032 battery with no apparent problems other than longer life.  It is exactly the same diameter and as I said, just slightly thicker.  That really sums up anything you missed by skipping the thread, except that the Zip people have made recommendations about disabling the Zip app on your smart phone.  I have not done that since the 32 battery solves my problem.  Most of the people who shut down the app found better battery life.  Now, that is really everything.  Jake

Best Answer

We will have to see what other users say.  Changing the 2025 battery for the 2032 significantly extended my battery life and I just don't want to start anything new with my zip right now.

Best Answer
I was getting 2 to 3 days while using the IOS app for my FitBit Zip. I
erased that and got about a week, today it was still recording my steps but
would not update the Win 10 app on my desktop after I put the dongle in the
USB port, but did record today's steps! Had to replace the battery of one
week. I don't know if it was the update on the device itself or just that
it went bad, the IOS app certainly made it worse, probably blue tooth
excessive use. At ~$4 per battery it was still ridiculous. They offered a
new one of same model free or 50% on an upgrade, I opted for the
replacement and its already on its way.
Best Answer
0 Votes