Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Health Plans 2017

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Will Fitbit change course and sync with Apple Health in 2017?

Refusing to integrate with Apple does not secure nor improve Fitbit's position in Fitness tracker market.  

---------- Carpe diem - exercise!
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi Everyone- Just wanted to update this thread and thank you for your suggestions.

We are always looking for ways you can use your data to support your health and fitness goals. For the past few years, we’ve been the leader in developing direct partnerships through our open API with hundreds of the most popular health apps, wellness programs, incentive systems, and other services that have enabled people like you to make the most of your products and data. In addition, the launch of Fitbit Ionic has given us the opportunity to allow third-party developers to develop apps for the Fitbit App Gallery through our SDK, providing opportunities to offer even more features and apps to our global Fitbit community from our developer community.

With regards to Apple Health, we continue to evaluate new partners and will update if we have news to share. Fitbit has a history of working with the community to bring potential features to reality, and we thank you for taking the time to share your ideas and suggestions.

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
121 REPLIES 121

@Biker_Bill wrote:

Will Fitbit change course and sync with Apple Health in 2017?

Refusing to integrate with Apple does not secure nor improve Fitbit's position in Fitness tracker market.  

Apple refusing to integrate with Fitbit does not secure nor improve Apple's position in fitness tracker market.

Best Answer

I like my Fitbit and it appears you like yours as well. So I am not sure how to take your response. It appears defensive and offensive. I hope you don’t work for Fitbit.

Apple Health, Microsoft Health Vault, and Google Fit are all personal health database solutions with a noble goal of allowing individuals to collect and share their health data. Epic is the most used commercial Health Management database systems by Doctors and Hospitals. It now has an interface to Apple Health. This will probably allow Apple Health to hit that target better than the others.

Apple even has a separate App for their Watch to interface to Apple Health. Apple gives out the code to interface to Apple Health. Apple Store still shows Garmin, Nike, Strava, and others in the Top Lists for exercise so it does not appear they are locking out competitors. Do you expect them to write an App for Fitbit? Or do you consider Fitbit so big that everyone should integrate with it?

But my question was not really for you. I just hope Fitbit reconsiders their position. They had a good relationship with Apple Store a few years ago. I believe it ended by Fitbit because Apple was about to launch Watch. In my opinion, not really targeting the same audience. But the Fitness Tracker hardware market is continuing to grow with competitors like the Mi Band 2.

I believe Fitbit is the best and hope they stay on top. I also hope they reconsider storing directly the data in the Apple, Google, and Microsoft personal health database systems.

Best Answer

The short answer is no because they have other plans for our data.

From the outside looking in both parties are treating your data as a commodity. There is a need for some serious realizations to occur at Fitbit corporate HQ. Do a bit of publically available research into the last few earnings calls for some hints at where they want to go.

1. Fitbit at the end of the day is beholden to its shareholder's, revenue per device is climbing steadily yet the stock price continues to fall. 

2. Fitbit is a hardware company that has a data problem now. They are not sitting still and have made key personnel acquisitions and announced partnerships to address and monetize our data.

Here come's the realizations: 

1. Fitbit needs to continue to focus on what made it good. They are a device company. Use the Pebble staff & IP to continue to grow that. 

2. You can have your cake and eat it too & you will never be apple. I don't want a Fitbit phone, same reason why I have a charge 2 on my wrist instead of an apple watch. I get that revenue streams are needed but let your users have a choice. Building out half-baked features in your app so that you can say your users can do what they want with their data is going to fail.

Best Answer

@Biker_Bill wrote:

I like my Fitbit and it appears you like yours as well. So I am not sure how to take your response. It appears defensive and offensive. I hope you don’t work for Fitbit.

But the Fitness Tracker hardware market is continuing to grow with competitors like the Mi Band 2

nor defensive,nor offensive.

humoristic.

is the market continuing to grow ? not really

Microsoft band : off

Peeble : off

Jawbone : off

Motorola : no new model

Samsung Gear : maybe 

Apple iWatch : Apple claims they sell a lot, but don't give numbers

Xiaomi Mi Band 2 : no continuous HR

so, still Fitbit, TomTom, Garmin, Polar, Suunto

Best Answer
0 Votes

Seems crazy but I guess you could be right. Crazy for me because almost everyone I know has bought a fitness tracker in the last 3 years. I know 1 person that bought an Apple Watch. 

Best Answer

A December 5th CNET article stated the market was growing and that fitness trackers were 85% of the wearable market with Fitbit leading. Smart watches were way down. 

And Wow. I never thought to look at Investor data when buying a sports device. Why is the stock dropping so much?

CNET Article

Investors Daily News

Best Answer

Again total speculation from my part, I work in a different industry but this sort of stuff makes my inner analyst come out. I didnt do this type of homework before I purchased. I have had a fitbit since the one was released, tried other less expensive options and eventually decided to purchase a charge 2 despite have a perfectly good One.

It just burns me up that I have to do something like purchase a 3rd party application to sync my data. It's not that Fitbit can't, they simply won't integrate. 

As far as the stock prices go, industry analyst's and investors seem to see weak growth opportunity and an oversaturated market. As I had mentioned in my last post, they do need to add revenue streams or really innovate in the market. To be innovative though takes it takes capital, so investors will continue to be wary. What you and I do or say on here or the app store or anywhere else wont likely change that or what you were asking for clarification on unless by some miracle there are Fitbit exec's trolling the forums.

Best Answer

It's great to see you here @functionaljunky@Biker_Bill and @SunsetRunner. I think it would be great to integrate this app to Fitbit. Please check the Integrate with iOS Health request, vote for it and leave your comment. I hope this can be implemented soon as it is being taken under consideration.

Happy stepping. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

I'm not holding my breath. While I appreciate the integration with Apple Health and HealthKit is "under consideration", it has been that way for 2+ years. I'll believe when I see it.

Best Answer

Ugh! After using a Fitbit One for a couple years, my wife upgraded me to a Fitbit Charge 2 yesterday. I wanted a watch and one that would track my steps, heart rate, etc. I had been holding out for an Apple Watch for the longest time. However, those are really expensive, and when I really considered it, I realized I would never use all the iPhone-like apps and features of the Apple Watch. I always have my iPhone on me and would prefer to use it for any apps. I only needed/wanted a wristband wearable that would show me the time and track my steps and HR. So, I settled for the Charge 2.

As it had been a couple years since I had purchased my Fitbit One and set it up on my phone, I had completely forgotten about how Fitbit does (or doesn't) sync with Apple Health and other apps. When I set up my Charge 2 last night, I was really bummed to realize that Fitbit STILL refuses to integrate with Apple Health.

This is flippin' insane! I'm sick and tired of devices and apps that refuse to integrate. I'm tired of having to use third-party apps and/or devices to bridge the gap. I'm tired of having to manually transfer data between different apps. I just want it all to sync and be available for review in one place. I HATE having to open, sync, and review multiple apps to get at all my health data!

So, now I'm stuck with the decision of keeping my Charge 2 and just putting up with Fitbit's refusal to integrate, or return the darned thing and pony up the cash for the Apple Watch (or any other fitness tracker that actually plays nice with Apple). I will be up-voting the feature request for Apple integration, although I will not be holding my breath that Fitbit will pay attention or even care what it's customers think/desire. We're all just revenue streams to them anyway (Fitbit, Apple, et al).

Best Answer

It can be easily synced, no special app needs to be written. Even my cheap Chinese scale I got off eBay can sync with Fitbit and AppleHealth. 

Best Answer

I also would like fitbit data to be integrated in Apple Health. IS THERE A PLACE TO VOTE FOR THIS TO HAPPEN?

Best Answer

Please check the Integrate with iOS Health request, vote for it and leave your comment. 

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Integrate-with-iOS-Health/idi-p/319432

Best Answer

@AlejandraFitbit wrote:

Please check the Integrate with iOS Health request, vote for it and leave your comment. I hope this can be implemented soon as it is being taken under consideration.

@AlejandraFitbit why is this Feature Suggestion hidden on that forum? It has over 4300 votes and is completely hidden:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/idb-p/features/tab/most-kudoed

Why is Fitbit hiding that feature suggestion?

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

@functionaljunky wrote:

Again total speculation from my part, I work in a different industry but this sort of stuff makes my inner analyst come out. I didnt do this type of homework before I purchased. I have had a fitbit since the one was released, tried other less expensive options and eventually decided to purchase a charge 2 despite have a perfectly good One.

It just burns me up that I have to do something like purchase a 3rd party application to sync my data. It's not that Fitbit can't, they simply won't integrate. 

As far as the stock prices go, industry analyst's and investors seem to see weak growth opportunity and an oversaturated market. As I had mentioned in my last post, they do need to add revenue streams or really innovate in the market. To be innovative though takes it takes capital, so investors will continue to be wary. What you and I do or say on here or the app store or anywhere else wont likely change that or what you were asking for clarification on unless by some miracle there are Fitbit exec's trolling the forums.

I believe that just before Apple Watch came out, Fitbit had some kind of cross-promotional deal with Microsoft.  They made Fitbit work well with Windows 8 or something and at the same time MS Stores sold Fitbit products.

Now, the market has consolidated.  Apple Watch is probably the best-selling smart watch and competes against trackers over $200 or $250 (thought the cheapest Apple Watch is more like $300 or more).

So the Apple Watch is an existential threat to Fitbit or at least severely limits its growth potential, profitability, etc.

Fitbit did well for about a year after its IPO but I hear now that insiders are dumping their stock.

As for as integration, someone on the forums here suggested Power Sync and I've been using that.  It's free but you have to manually sync the data by opening the Power Sync app. and hitting "sync" button.

For $2, it will auto-sync the data.  I might do that.

But the way I have Power Sync configured with Apple Health, it sends data two ways.  So now I have an Apple Health compatible scale and blood pressure monitory.  Those apps. will update Apple Health and Apple Health will send data to Power Sync to Fitbit.

Actually, I don't even have to open Power Sync for this data to be sent to Fitbit but it appears I have to manually sync Fitbit data to Apple Health.

In any event, I like the way the data is presented and organized in the Fitbit app. and the web site a lot better than the way Apple Health does it.  I also like the weekly status updates from Fitbit as well.

But now my Fitbit dash panel also shows my weight and blood pressure readings.

I sometimes also use Nike Plus Running app. and that gets sync'd to Apple Health so conceivably, the workouts I do in Nike could also end up in the Fitbit panel but that's not such a big deal yet.

Anyways, Power Sync is workable solution.

My bigger concern is that Fitbit eventually goes out of business and all your data, these forums, etc. go away.

Best Answer

May 4th 2017

“Apple captured 16 percent global marketshare and overtook Fitbit to become the world’s largest wearables vendor. The new Apple Watch Series 2 is selling relatively well in the US, UK and elsewhere, due to enhanced styling, intensive marketing and a good retail presence.

Xiaomi shipped 3.4 million wearables for 15 percent marketshare worldwide in Q1 2017. Demand for its popular Mi Band fitness range was broadly flat across its core markets of Asia.”

Come on Fitbit. Just connect. I love both devices. 

Best Answer

5744 votes and still hidden...

Best Answer

I will be leaving fitbit and going to the Apple Watch I am tired of the workarounds and my fitbit devices dieing just afthe warranty has run out. 

Best Answer

My wife has had three Fitbit Surges over 18 months. Sync problems, stair flight climbing count massive errors, charge port gold pads wearing off, ... Fitbit replaces the first one (a few days outside warrantee). Complained about the second failure (6 months in), replaces when escalated. And finally sent us new Blazes after #3 failed and I escalated to corporate management. 

My my wife loves the Fitbit and doesn’t want to spend the money for an Apple Watch. This exercise so far has shown the Fitbit product to be suspect but their customer service to be ‘ok’ to good. 

Our final replacement came as *an empty box* - watch stolen in shipping!! Fitbit responded instantly with an overnight delivery. 

I appreciate the service but have *never* had this much trouble with a premium product before (well, ok, BMW and Mercedes: we’re looking at you!). 

Let you all all know in a year if we still have Fitbit trackers of if Apple Watch 3 has made it onto our wrists!

Best Answer