Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories left doesn't appear on new dashboard

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Where did “calories left go” in latest software version? I relied on the prediction of calories for the day for the past 4 years and now all I can find is “calories burned” which doesn’t provide an estimate of how many calories you can expect to expend over the course of the day. How can I get this feature back?!

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
37 REPLIES 37

Hi @Kpezzoni. Welcome to the Community Forums!

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about the new dashboard. I understand how helpful was this tile for you, and let me help you with your inquiry. While it's not visible on the Today's screen, you can tap on the food tile so you can see how many calories you've taken and the progress of your plan. For more information about how to navigate through the new dashboard, please check this link.

Keep me posted! Woman Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

So are you saying ‘calories left’ is no longer something we can view, and that we have to wait until midnight so see our combined calories to see if we actually burned what we intended to do. If so, that’s absolutely useless. The ‘calories left’ info was pretty much the only reason I use the app/device. Please tell me I’m wrong.

Best Answer
From what I can tell you can only see calories left if you set up a food plan, whereas before you could see calories left without a food plan.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I really miss the option to see the amount of calories left, as en estimate for the whole day. Now it is really hard to estimate how much I can eat during the day, since it only shows how many calories you already burnt, and not how much you will have burnt by the end of the day. 

Best Answer

THIS! I already started a topic over this issue https://community.fitbit.com/t5/iOS-App/New-dashboard-calories-left-over/m-p/3670290#M110319

But my question never got answered. 

Best Answer

@LizzyFitbit 

When you click on the apple (food) tile you get a view that hasn’t changed since the launch of the new app. The cals you see here are the cals you've burned so far during the day, i can see them on my dashboard and on my watch as well.

Calories are made up of a certain (vast) amount of 'resting calories' + additional calories from movement during the day. 

Current dashboard: shows resting calories so far + calories from movement so far

The old dashboard: showed all resting calories + calories from movement so far (see screenshot)

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 15.35.17.png

Hope this explains it. Can you get back to us on this?

Best Answer

Yes I still have that. That is useless to me. What I want to see is the old ‘calories LEFT’ value, which eradicates any calories that are burned by resting, and tells me whether I am on track to have a calorie deficit (positive calories left) at the END of the day. Calories BURNED are useless because I have no idea how many of those calories are resting calories and how many are burned by exercise. The calories left value allowed me to know how much actual calorie burning via exercise I needed to do for the day, and once that was done, I could relax and let the day go by and calories burned at rest would not need to be considered. Now the only option I have is exercising and hoping that it’s enough that at the end of the 24 hours I have a calorie deficit, since I have no actual indication of how much exercise I need to do to burn the surplus I eat. Since this change I have stopped using my Fitbit/the app, since making sure I was burning the surplus I like to eat was the only reason I used it. Back to the ol’ 1200kcal a day I guess.

---

Moderator edit: word choice

Best Answer

Exactly. I’ve stopped using Fitbit now; that was the only reason I used it, and now it’s useless to me. 😞

---

Moderator edit: word choice

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community, @JanaK1 and @DeniseF810. I'm glad to see you around, @Kpezzoni and @Merveilleuses. I'm sorry for my delayed response.

@JanaK1@Kpezzoni and @DeniseF810, thanks for the details provided. @Merveilleuses, thanks for sharing the link of the other thread opened about this situation. The screenshot was very helpful! I understand how important it was that data for all of you, and I'm sorry that you've had this experience. Our team takes very seriously the feedback that is received by our users to improve our products, and I'm sure your comments will not be taken for granted. Another user posted this suggestion in the Feature Suggestion board. Please take a look, and show your support by adding your vote and comments. The more votes the better chance of getting the attention of the developers.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Best Answer

I'm even willing to pay for this so it better be in Fitbit Premium. Hate to say this but if not, time to search for another brand.

Best Answer
Yeah it was like one of, if not the most essential function of the device and app.

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Best Answer

Hello @Kpezzoni @JanaK1 @Merveilleuses and @DeniseF810 

I hope I can help. I can’t get what your looking for on the Dashboard but the information you are looking for can be found on the Fitbit App. I have seen numerous people say that not only is the calories out imissing on the App but the “deficit” calories are also missing as well since the new update. To fix that issue here is what you do: Open your Fitbit app and tap your profile picture at upper left. Scroll down to Nutrition and Body Goals and tap that. Now look to the top of the screen...do you have a deficit set for yourself next to the word Food? If not add a deficit number (calories you want to cut each day) If you did have deficit number try to change it just a bit to toggle the app. My theory here was is that if you don’t have an assigned deficit then it can’t predict calories left for the day. Now when you go to the food tile on your Fitbit App (located where all your current and finished challenges are listed) just tap the center of the food tile and you will see that now “calories in, calories out and calories left for the day will all be there. I know it’s not the Dashboard but going to view this on the Fitbit App is a temporary workaround until the Dashboard is fixed in a future update. I hope this provides a solution to what you are seeking.

Best Answer
I’m not sure if this is the exact same thing but I will certainly give it a shot. Thank you!

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have today updated my phone and now have the dreaded new dashboard without calories left 🤬!!!  I have entered the goal as suggested but this is in real time and still does not give the estimated amount you will have left at the end of the day.  I too rely heavily on this and am incredibly disappointed- especially as I just invested in a charge 3.  Come on Fitbit get this sorted as you have introduced a clearly retrograde step.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Steerio 

I understand your frustration but have you tried what I suggested in my post on Sept 7th in this same thread? Please consider giving it a try. It does indeed work in the Fitbit App. and will indeed give you the calorie deficit your looking for. I hope you find my suggestion useful to yourself as well. Please let me know if it does. 

Best Answer

Hello @SunsetRunner, 

Thanks for your post.  There is a difference between the current calories burned, calories in and calories left compared to these figures in the old app.  On the old app, it would give calories left that included all the calories burned so far and only include the basal metabolic rate in the calories left amount.  So if you did nothing else the rest of the day, you could count on the number of calories left to not change by the end of the night unless you were more active and thereby burned more calories.  The only current option, such as you suggested, does list calories burned, calories in, (same as on the old app) but the calories left number is a different calculation/estimation that will change over the course of the night if you do nothing else, so it estimates activity beyond the basal metabolic rate, so some evenings if you are relying on sticking to eating calories left, you may actually eat more than intended because the calories left number goes down based on whatever formula fitbit is using to calculate this.  I personally prefer the calories left to not include this estimation because it is less accurate and can result in food intake above the intended amount.  Hopefully this makes sense.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks @SunsetRunner. I have set up the food plan, but it doesn’t really help, because the calories left on the graph in the food app is still in real time - it is not a forecast to the end of the day.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Kpezzoni 

My apologizes I thought you were looking for this:

12BD3954-F6DD-4C99-BFCA-76F74EDDA7DC.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay so I have now experimented with the nutrition and body food goals and I don’t want either as they are both particularly unhelpful!  How do I delete the nutrition and body goal? 

Best Answer
0 Votes