Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email address rejected at setup

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I tried to set up my fit bit flex but was using either the wrong app or trying with the wrong fitbit device. I uninstalled it from mi iphone. Now, using the correct app, for the flex, it won't accept my email address because the app says that it's already in use. What can I do?
Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@spiritguy I'm sorry to hear about your lost tracker! If you haven't already tried the troubleshoots listed here, I'd definitely recommend them. They've helped a ton of users find their lost trackers.

Hope this helps you out!

Derrick | Retired Moderator, Fitbit

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
28 REPLIES 28

I am about to return this surge because Fit bit wont let me upgrade from an older devive.

They say my email address is already being used. Right, so how do I upgrade to Surge?

@Troubled wrote:
I tried to set up my fit bit flex but was using either the wrong app or trying with the wrong fitbit device. I uninstalled it from mi iphone. Now, using the correct app, for the flex, it won't accept my email address because the app says that it's already in use. What can I do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Troubled and @username2,

Welcome to the community!

When you install and log on to the Fitbit App, select "Existing User" instead of "New User".  Then once logged in to your account, click on the "Account" icon on the bottom and then add a new tracker.

Oh, and since Fitbit added support for multiple devices, you don't need to upgrade per se...  You can have both attached to your account and use whichever one you want for different activities.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Thanks for the help!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I had a similar problem.  I tried unsuccessfully last night to setup my Zip.  Gave up, and tonight started all over again, download and everything.  Got connected and signed in, but I cannot use my email address because it says it is already in use in another account.  Used a secondary one, but how can I use the one I want?

Best Answer

@spiritguy That's really strange. I'd make sure that:

1. You are using the most current version of the Fitbit App. Click here to update.
2. Your email address has an at sign.

3. That your iOS device is connected to the internet either via WiFi or mobile data.

4. Use the replacement setup to pair the tracker to your account, click here for details.

My guess is that you are trying to create another account using the same email, instead of pairing the tracker to your already existing account.

Hope this helps!

Best Answer

I have the same problem. Bought the zip today. set up questions online with my email. Then I downloaded the app to my phone and tried to set up but it says that email is already resigtered. There is no choice for "existing user".  I am tring to call but the wait time says under 5 hours.  I have already held on 12 minutes. 

Best Answer

Hello @LindaKY,

Welcome to the community!

Really?  When you first run the Fitbit App, you don't get an option that looks like this (see circled)?

fitbit-app-login.JPG

If so, just tap on the "Log in" instead of the "Join Fitbit" option.

I hope this helps.

Frank | Washington, USA

Fitbit One, Ionic, Charge 2, Alta HR, Blaze, Surge, Flex, Flex 2, Zip, Ultra, Flyer, Aria, Aria 2 - Windows 10, Windows Phone

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
This is my fit bit. I misplaced it a month ago and have been looking for it since. I want it back 

Moderator Edit: Removed personal information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@spiritguy I'm sorry to hear about your lost tracker! If you haven't already tried the troubleshoots listed here, I'd definitely recommend them. They've helped a ton of users find their lost trackers.

Hope this helps you out!

Best Answer
Thanks. I found that page with help from customer service. Now I think I am ready to go.
Best Answer
Thanks Derrick, I'll give that a try. 

Stephen P. Zeitler, President

Acton Wine & Spirit Co.

Marlboro Wine & Spirit Co.

cell: 978-407-9920
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am trying to set up my fitbit zip to sync with my apple phone and it won't go past the password..says its in use. Help me please or it goes back to store

Best Answer
0 Votes

This finally worked for me.... I think most people are hitting the join link instead of the login one. As soon as I did that I was back with all my numbers and fitbit friends listed...

Best Answer
0 Votes

My husband and I both got fitbitbs.  I set his up using our email address and now it will not allow me to use the same email address to setup my fitbit.  Why?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @dakuzminski, thanks for joining the Fitbit Community, it's great to have you on board. Smiley Happy

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Please note that only one Fitbit Account can be linked to an email address. If you would like to set up your Fitbit device, please create a new account using a different email address. 

Even when it's possible to have 2 Fitbit devices (different models) linked to a single account, it's recommended to set up each one of them on different accounts to prevent the information from merging if you would like to keep tabs on your own personal information. After creating your account using a different email address, please set up your device

I hope this can be helpful, give it a try and keep me posted in case you need anything else. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lost Fitbit charge 2 

two years ago now have a new one and it won’t let me use my email says in use

wbst do I do I used a friends email but want my own

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Gramma2, have a warm welcome to the Fitbit Community. Smiley Happy

I appreciate your participation in the Forums and for sharing your experience with us. If you have an account created with your preferred email address, my best recommendation is to reset the password on that specific account, then, log in with the new password and set up your Charge 2 on that account. 

I hope this can be helpful, if there's anything else we can do for you, please feel free to reply. 

Marco G. | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you find my post helpful? Vote for it or mark it as a Solution! Robot wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Made a mistake at set up went back k and now won't let me use my email address says it's already being used 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I lost my Fitbit charge 2 two

a year ago

another person found it and has been using it

I now have a new one the AltA

but can’t use my own email

had to use a friends but want to use mine but it’s rejected as already in use

whst do I do?

Leah Reid 

i love my fit bit!!

thank you in advance