Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit app doesn't allow to connect multiple devices

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I recently updated the Fitbit app in a LONG time.

I have 3 Fitbit devices: Versa, Ionic, and Alta. Before I updated the app I had all three on my account, after I updated it they all were disconnected.

When I set up the first watch everything is fine, but when I try to set up anything else it tells me "Switching? There's a Fitbit _____ connected to your account already." and only gives me the option to switch and not just add another device. 

Anyone got any help for this?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
56 REPLIES 56

Hi, @ETA92 , we are told that Fitbit is considering this.  In the meantime your mother certainly won’t “lose” either tracker - she can definitely switch between them, and I do myself.  But it is fair to say that the process is a little tedious.  Each time she wants to switch she will need to re-set up the device.  In doing so no data will be lost and her account will keep all her steps, history etc.  But it does take a few extra minutes, especially if you happen to switch when an update is available for one of the Fitbits.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

I've got the same problem! I just got a Charge 4 for Christmas! I've had a Charge 2 and a Charge 3 for several years. My Charge 2 stopped working about 6 months ago. I was used to going backing and forth between the two in-between charging times. So I asked for a Charge 4 for Christmas. Now I am trying to set it up, I am seeing Switching instead of Adding a new device to my account, right? So I go ahead and add it, and it did indeed remove my Charge 3..! Not what I was wanting to happen. I don't understand why they would remove that option. I know there's a lot of people that have multiple devices that they use like myself. I was also going to purchase the Charge 5 within the next 6 months and go premium. Glad I know now I can't connect it with my other two. Would be hassle to constantly have to connect back and forth SMH!!

Best Answer

You can't have any of the Charge series on their either! Doesn't matter what it is, they're not allowing us to connect ANY multiple devices! So they expect us to create an account per device, plus spend money per device on premium if that's what we're doing? It's a money gimmick!! BS!!!! It's wrong

Best Answer

@Jessa78   There are many long time users who remember when you had no choice except to have multiple accounts with different emails in order to use multiple trackers.  Multi-tracker support was a breath of fresh air until Fitbit released its newer trackers with the Fitbit App Gallery.  Now you can only have one App Gallery device on your account at a time.  Switching between devices takes some time, under 5 minutes.   But you also lose your app notifications every time you switch.

Community Council members aren't employees, so we don't know why Fitbit makes certain decisions.  Maybe they though they could overcome this limitation by now.  The Charge 3 was released in 2018, so Fitbit has had plenty of time to fix this design flaw.  In the history of design flaws, this is an epic design flaw.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

I had been using Charge 4 for a few months now and read that Fitbit had Multi-tracker support to use more then one tracker on the app. So I got the Fitbit Sense and it doesn’t keep both and I have to switch but it will not keep the steps, I lose an undetermined amount each time I switch so this is unacceptable. If I can’t find why I’m returning the Fitbit Sense and when I research other tracker then I will switch to maybe Garmin or Apple. I’m tired of all the issues with Fitbit and lack of support.

Best Answer

Just ran into this myself and, as others have expressed, can't help feeling more than a little disgust toward fitbit over this... Former user that, at one time used multiple devices due to swimming and being unwilling to test the dodgy quality checks around water resistance for my main and most expensive devices (lost/had-replaced several devices in the past due to this issue and will unlikely ever trust QA in regards again). Anyways, low & behold and completely absent from anywhere openly visible on fitbits site or product information you can no longer attach multiple devices, aside an apparently last minute or late added footnote buried in the general help section.

Will be returning the charge 5 I just ordered as a result. Grossly disapointed & very much recalling the reasona I quit using fibit previously.

Best Answer

Agreed. Such a huge limitation. Going to return my charge5 for this reason. I probably have to leave this ecosystem altogether as well...

Best Answer

Looks like they've "solved" this problem with the Ionic recall. Sigh. I tried filling out the refund process but since I'm wearing my Versa 3 I had to disconnect my Ionic and the refund system can't verify my Ionic. FRUSTRATION! Have Tweeted them. And am sitting on their support messaging service.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So much for “don’t be evil”, more like “buy and destroy.” Thanks Google.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So what two current devices can we have connected to one account please? The message suggests we can but it’s misleading as reading through the devices that are incompatible it appears it all of them? Thanks.

Best Answer

I no longer have a Fitbit, but from what I understood you can’t have multiple SMART watches. 

I don’t know if Fitbit sells non-Smart watches/tracker. But back when I started using Fitbit for the first time roughly in 2014 they sold non-Smart watches that could also be connected with a Smart watch.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Locomotivo , the change to only being able to have one device using the Fitbit OS came in a long time before Google purchased Fitbit.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DiscoDave1987 you can connect older devices along with newer ones.  You cannot connect two devices that use the Fitbit operating system.  Unfortunately most of the devices you can connect have now been discontinued.  On my account I have the Sense, One and Flex 2.  One could also have the Charge HR, and I think the Charge 2 (though I am not certain).  

You definitely can’t combine Charge 4 or 5, Luxe, Inspire and Inspire 2, any Versa, or Sense with each other.

I hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rubz93 most of the newer Fitbits now use the Fitbit OS so even the more basic ones like the Inspire/ Inspire 2 and the Luxe use the Fitbit OS so can’t be used together.  The basic problem I think is that used together notifications don’t work properly and until that is fixed they don’t want to return to multiple tracker support.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Amazing how smart watches can be so stupid

Best Answer

Like Rubz93 I have multiple devices that I use for different situations and was looking to upgrade my device. Has this issue been resolved?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @GSchmidt17110 , you cannot have two of the newer Fitbits on your account at the same time.  However, you can switch between devices, removing one from your account and replacing it with a different one.  The switch is usually quick (but can take longer with some of the devices like Sense and Versa models as they have more features like WiFi that unfortunately need to be set up all over again, and it can be particularly annoying if when you want to make the switch there is an update to your alternative device.

When switching between devices you also have to make sure that all info from one device is synced to your account before you switch to the other, but that was also true before, when there was multi tracker support.  

If you would like to encourage multi tracker support to be restored, I would recommend voting for and commenting on,  this feature suggestion .

Best Answer

Thanks for the insights @Julia_G i’ve voted as suggested as well. 
thanks again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not resolved.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I switch between devices each time now too. I wish they would give you an option to skip over the instructions rather than having to click next over what feels like 40 screens lol. Then ask you about premium at the end. 

if they are going to make us switch each time they could at least give us an option to skip the instructions.

Best Answer