Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with GPS Tracking on Fitbit iOS App

ANSWERED

I wanted to bring up an issue I've been experiencing with the Fitbit iOS app recently, and I'm hoping someone here might have some insight or solutions.

It seems that the app is not marking all GPS points accurately during my activities, and at times, it's even skipping waypoints altogether (drawing lines over none pathways etc). This has made it impossible for me to trace and record my data accurately, which is incredibly frustrating as I rely on this information to track my progress and performance. mi pretty stable in my routes so I know what the data output should be.

I'm not sure if this is a widespread issue or if it's just affecting a few users like myself, but if anyone else has encountered similar problems or has any suggestions on how to fix it, I would greatly appreciate your input.

I've tried restarting my phone and reinstalling the app, disable/enable the location permission but unfortunately, the issue persists. If there are any troubleshooting steps I haven't tried yet, please let me know.

Best Answer
95 REPLIES 95

I'm having the same problems with my IOS Fitbit app. I start tracking my walks from the app, not the Charge 5. My trip today:

Google Maps Timeline track, which perfect: Fitbit app track, about the distance.
Google Maps Track on iphoneGoogle Maps Track on iphoneFitbit app trackFitbit app track

Best Answer

That’s it exactly. Plus what used to track as 2 miles now tracks as less than a mile. 

Best Answer

Heeeeelooooooo @JuanFitbitand colleagues. Please give us a sign that you are listening to your customers. Or at let us know hot to return your product if you cannot fix the service essential to it.

Best Answer
Today’s walk tracked correctly!
Best Answer

MIne is working today after going to App Store and updating the app to verion 4.16 which was added 4d ago.

IMG_4880.PNG

Best Answer

Update 4.16 posted 4 days ago fixes the problem.

Best Answer
Sleep tracking is working!
Best Answer

The update didn’t totally fix mine. GPS is still wonky. 

Best Answer

Same here, still only getting a couple random points along the route and totally inaccurate distance. 

Best Answer

Hi everybody! Thank you for those who confirmed that the issue got solved for them and those who mentioned that are still having issues. 

Please to keep the Community in order and avoid confusing other users, I'd like to ask you to keep on the subject of this thread. (GPS issues with the iOS app) . 
For other issues (eg. Sleep, food log, etc) please use the corresponding thread or open a new one. 

JuanFitbit | Community Moderator, Fitbit. Hat dir mein Beitrag geholfen dann markier ihn als Lösung und gib mir Kudos !! Habt ihr Tipps um fitter zu werden? Lifestyle Discussion forum.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, @JuanFitbit it sometimes works with my phone’s GPS but I did not buy a GPS enabled band to rely no my phone. As you know, the Charge 6 has a real problem connecting and keeping the GPS signal when the watch is strapped to the arm. Which is another feature annoying us runners who need to keep an accurate HR which requires snug fit. 

Best Answer

Started walk from watch today post-update.  Mileage was roughly correct, and GPS roughly tracked the route (rather than sharp lines between few points), but wobbled off route by as much as 100 feet.  My starting point showed on the map about 3/10ths of a mile from my actual starting point (and behind someone's house, not from a road).  Endpoint was roughly accurate. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My iPhone has the same variation for all GPS apps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

and I'm not flying ;)and I'm not flying 😉App updated (4.16) on April 30th.

I walked on May 4th, but the GPS didn't track my walk.

Mine is an iPhone 13 PRO, IOS 17.4.1.

When will the app track my walks efficiently?

Best Answer
I am still having issues. The tracking has at least started working again. It hadn’t been working for me at all. The problem is that it is very inaccurate. I tracked my walk yesterday on FitBit and on another App. Fitbit showed my distance as 2.11 miles and pace of 46’06/miles. My other App showed distance of 3.10 miles and pace of 22’05. That’s a huge difference and not at all acceptable.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I did not know there was an update
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Is this still a problem? (Today is 9th May 2024).

My partner’s Fitbit tracking has exactly the same problem, whilst mine was fine on today’s shared walk. I am wondering if this is something to do with different devices? Here’s some details:

Her set up (giving obvious tracking mistakes):

iPhone 11 Pro (iOS 17.4.1)

Fitbit app 4.16 (41637… (number goes off screen!)

Fitbit Luxe Version 20001.194.91

Mine (where tracking looks to be accurate):

iPhone 11 Pro Max (iOS 17.4.1)

Fitbit app 4.16 (41637035)

Fitbit Inspire 2 Version 20001.124.84

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m still having the same problem. I have a Fitbit Versa 4 and a 14 iPhone. Hoping they get their act together real soon. The 4.16 update didn’t fix a thing for me. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You have to keep the app open and visible all of the time.  It will not track in background.  It has to be the app on screen or gps doesn’t work.

Best Answer

Yep - both iPhones had the app open the whole time. Mine tracked very accurately - you could see every twist and turn of the journey. My partners was obviously not tracking as regularly, with straight lines drawn on the map through fields we didn’t walk through, obviously only picking up occasional gps positions. Under Privacy & Security > Location Services is On, and Fitbit is set to “While Using” on mine (the accurate one) and “Always” on hers (the one showing errors). I would have thought “Always” was better than my “While Using”,  so I doubt that is the problem 🤔

Best Answer