Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sleep Stages not appearing

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi Everyone,

I’m sorry for the delayed response to this thread. Thanks for all of your feedback and patience with the new Sleep Stages feature. A few notes: 

Sleep Stages is now currently available for Charge 2, Blaze, and Alta HR.

There are a few scenarios where you might see your sleep pattern (which shows your time asleep, restless, and awake) instead of Sleep Stages, including:

• Sleeping in a position that prevented the tracker from getting a consistent heart-rate reading or the tracker was worn too loosely. For best results, wear the tracker higher on your wrist (about 2-3 finger widths above your wrist bone). The band should feel secure but not too tight.
  • If you used the Begin Sleep Now option in the Fitbit app (instead of simply wearing your tracker to bed).
  • Sleeping for less than 3 hours.
  • The tracker’s battery is critically low.

You should also ensure your Fitbit app is on the latest version and your tracker firmware is up to date. 

I've also placed the Sleep Stages help page here for further information.  

If Sleep Stages is still missing, please check that All-Day sync is enabled on your app by going to Account > Your Tracker, then note the time you went to sleep. If you aren’t seeing Sleep Stages, please let me know. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
179 REPLIES 179

You would think that. But by the postings and I have been advised some of mine have been removed they refuse to acknowledge any responsibility for the non functioning feature. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

WOW!!! Might be time to change companies, which would be unfortunate...I've been a loyal fitbit user for 3-4 years, and have been happy with the company.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I actually had sleep stages recorded last night.  Will it be a one night stand, a couple of days and they weeks of the old.  Who knows and they won't tell us.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@pmuzzall Welcome to the Community. Thanks for checking us out.

To get Sleep Stages do not enable 'Begin Sleep Now' when going to bed. This will result in seeing the old graph. Just go to sleep normally, no need to press anything. Also, keep in mind you need to sleep more than 3 hours in order to see Sleep Stages. 

@MrJameson Sorry your stages are inconsistent. The next time you go to sleep, note the time. If you don't see Sleep Stages let us know and we can review further. 

Actively managing your weight? Find accountability buddies on the Manage Weight board

Best Answer
0 Votes

So 10 straight days of the new sleep stages, then back to the old one - and the cycle of new/old/new/old continues. 

I did think there was some merit to how charged the battery is when the old stages seemed to be appearing when the battery was less than 50% (hardly "critically" low) - but then on a night I only had 15% battery, the new sleep stages showed up, and last night it was at more than 80% and I got the old sleep stages - so battery life doesn't seem to be making any real difference. 

Absolutely no rhyme or reason to it. 

Best Answer

I feel your pain. I have had 3 nights in a row, but that does not mean it will return to the old method at any time. It works, it doesn't work, it might work, a day, 10 days, who knows. I lack confidence that my Fitbit will continue to function with new sleep stages. Reporting it works is just to let them know they still have a major problem. Since it is inconsistent, it still is not doing what they say it does. They don't was to acknowledge the elephant in the room. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, Kate.

Since I wrote, it's been sporatic. I got an old reading Saturday, went back to bed for 2.5 hours and got the new read-out. Yesterday was new read-out, but took a nap, and it was the old system.

This am, new info again. So...as others have said, it sounds as if it will be an occasional thing. Initially, I thought it was maybe if the sleep wasn't long enough, but my 2.5 hour nap on Saturday came in as the more in depth read-out.

I'm thinking about contacting fitbit, but not sure it will help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Right....sounds as if it will be very sporadic, at best.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Been there, done that and had 3 replacements.  You should guess by now I still have the same problem as everyone else.  I believe it to be a software/firmware problem.  I have contacted support and I should say it is not really helpful.  We will have to wait to see if this will function regularly or it will continue to be unstable. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for sharing this information in the Community forum.  But this info:

Why don't I see sleep stages today?

There are a few scenarios where you might see your sleep pattern (which shows your time asleep, restless, and awake) instead of sleep stages:

• If you slept in a position that prevented your tracker from getting a consistent heart-rate reading or wore it too loosely. For best results, wear your tracker higher on your wrist (about 2-3 finger widths above your wrist bone). The band should feel secure but not too tight.
  • If you used the Begin Sleep Now option in the Fitbit app (instead of simply wearing your tracker to bed). For more information on automatic sleep tracking, see How do I track my sleep?
  • If you slept for less than 3 hours.
  • If your tracker’s battery is critically low.

REALLY needs to be added to the Fitbit Blaze 101 Guide

I just received my first Blaze yesterday and was excited to see the detailed sleep info this morning, but obviously didn't get that data because I used the Begin Sleep Now option as I had always done with my Charge HR.  If this had been in the Fitbit Blase 101 Guide, I would have known to not use that option and not spent my morning searching, troubleshooting, and becoming annoyed.

Please consider forwarding this request to Fitbit's user documentation dept.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer
0 Votes
My sleep stages disappeared last week. Did you roll back a release and forget to add sleep stages back into the build? I have Surge HR and use an IPhone 6.
Perrine
Best Answer
0 Votes

Here is the analysis of days it functions and days it does not.  You will note that is extremely unreliable.  My doctor asked me to track it as I have a sleeping issue.  At my last appoint 6/22 we determined the fitbit blaze to be of little value due to the erratic results.  I have been blocked by Fitbit Community for some of my posts, but again they have not fixed the software/firmware. 

3/28 - 4/4 worked  8 days

4/6                         1 day

4/8-4/18               11 days

4/25-4/28               4 days

5/16                        1 day

6/3-6/11                   8 days

6/13                         1 day

6/16-6/17                 2 days

6/20                         1 day  - For a total of 37 days it functioned

4/5                            1 day

4/7                            1 day

4/16-4/24                  6 days

4/29                          1 day

5/17-6/1                   16 days

6/2                             1 day

6/11-6/12                   2 days          

6/15                           1 day

6/19                           1 day

6/21-6/27                   7 days - for a total of 37 days

So it's work's 50% of the time

4/30-5/15                  16 days waiting for replacement

6/14                            1 day

6/18                            1 day - for a total of 2 days it did not record any sleep

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too am having intermittent sleep stage reporting with my Fitbit alta hr.  I noticed the night before that  I slept all night without a bathroom break and got a sleep stage reading.  Last night I had a bathroom break and got the old reading this morning.  I am wondering if getting up to go potty is making it think I am not sleeping three hours. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My sleep stages only appear if I get at least 7 hours. I only get simplified if I sleep less than that. I have tried the other suggestions. What else could be wrong?

Best Answer
0 Votes
To be honest I have accepted the the sleep stages on any Fitbit product
will never work. It also is apparent that Fitbit can not or will not solve
the software/firmware issue. So after a lot of soul searching and
determining what I needed from a fitness tracker I have let my battery die
a slow death. I have found another fitness tracker minus the clock for a
sum of $55.00 and it tracks sleep, heart rate, steps (not stairs) and the
battery last longer.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a new Fitbit Charge 2.  I am only getting the simplified sleep stages. Looks like my heart rate is tracked when I sleep. How do I get the complete sleep stages? I have followed all the suggestions, still nothing...if my pulse is tracked all night I would think it is not the position I sleep in.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Unfortunately this has not functioned since rolled out March 2017. It works then doesn't work. Returning it as defective will not solve problem. I know you just spent a lot of money with no mention that sleep stages is not working. I let my batteries die and purchased another brand for $55. Sleep function works, steps work, heart rate works also. The only function I am missing is the watch and charging to a charger or computer and not a USB port. I can live with that. Extremely disappointed with Fitbit as a company and its customer support. You can keep using it but sleep stages are not guaranteed to work and when they do they also just go back to old method. Sorry I wish this had been resolved. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tried all of above to no avail. Brand new Alta HR on IPhone app not showing sleep stages for two days in a row. App and firmware are up to date. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you read my replies and posting history I have given up on Fitbit products. I purchased another one from a different company. Shopping today and looking at another brand fossil that does what Fitbit says it does.   I was advised new one from them coming also. I'm waiting for apple but I think you

might find something better if you wait as the availability of new ones looks exciting. I don't believe Fitbit can/will address when or how. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I got my Fitbit Charge2 in the middle of July 2017, The 1st night I used the sleep app it showed sleep stages. Then after that is showed sleep pattern only until Saturday August 5th, 2017, which it showed sleep stages. Then last night Sunday August 6th from 1246am-449am it showed sleep stages. Then nothing until 606am. Then from 606am-1110am it did the sleep pattern. What is going on? Will it convert to sleep stages all the time, or what? Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes