Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turn off “Enable location services” prompt

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Every time I go to the Fitbit app on my iPhone, I get a prompt asking me to “Enable location services”. I’m quite capable of turning on location services for gps tracking of exercise when I wish to, thank you very much.

It only started happening with the most recent app update and I find this “pop-up” to be very annoying and intrusive. I most certainly don’t want to see it every flippin’ time I go to the app.

Is there a way to disable it?

Best Answer
145 REPLIES 145

Hi! I’m having this same problem now, it’s an annoying message popping up every few seconds. Have you figured out how to fix it? I can’t find an answer anywhere. 

Best Answer
There is no answer - Fitbit has chosen to make this message popup every time you open your app to force you to use location services. I have been fighting this for months and I REFUSE to be forced into location services - they have done nothing to change it. Undoubtedly another entity is paying them for this info and it is more important than satisfying their users.

Hopefully they are going to lose a lot of users because of this. I will NEVER buy another Fitbit because of this!
Best Answer

There is no fix.

Ditch it and go with the apple watch.

Best Answer

I've decided to just chill out and click "no thanks" every time I open the app.  Yeah, it's annoying, but in the grand scheme of life there's bigger things to stress over. Non perspirus minimus stuffus - don't sweat the small stuff!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Lol I was just thinking on that today. Stupid Google and Fitbit! I hope they know how bad they are screwing up their business not helping people with this.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
I agree. As soon as I can afford it, I’m switching to an Apple Watch. Another customer lost…

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

How do you find the Apple Watch's battery? I've heard you have to charge every day, which is the main turn off for me. But can't find any other wearable that I like.

Best Answer
0 Votes

The battery on the Apple Watch SE does not last as long as the fitbit Versa. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I haven’t bought the Apple Watch yet, I just plan to one day.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm sorry fitbit, pestering people into sharing their location is not acceptable. You've had 2 years to fix this now, so at this point it's clearly an intentional ruse to wear people out and accept something they don't really want. Consider yourself as having lost a customer of 5 years. I will also be sure to tell all my friends about your shady practice. Too bad, as I have enjoyed your product up until now, but not means no.

Best Answer
I agree totally, I wonder if it bit even bothers to read these posts.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

They don’t and they don’t care , this thread is almost 2 years old 

Best Answer
0 Votes

If this continues I'm switching to another product too. Please make it STOP! I've been using a fitbit for years because I like the simplicity and ease of use. Now it is just annoying. This is not good customer centricity here when you prioritize the data you can sell elsewhere over a simple fix to keep your customers. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

There was an update yesterday for the app. Today until now I didn’t see the ugly message pop up. Even when the app left open in the background and the location service is set to never. Could it be that they have fixed it?

I’m on iphone. Can someone confirm this?

Best Answer

I just this minute installed the 8-11-2021 update (ver 3.45), started the app, and no nagging message.  Then I force closed the app, starting it again, and still no nagging message.  Let's see how it plays out over the next few days, but I'm cautiously hopeful that they've fixed this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Maybe it should say, " Please let me run down your battery." That would be more truthful.

My iPhone 6s was doing fine with its original battery until I installed the app. Like a dummy I enabled location services. Then it ran my battery dry a couple of times - and that killed the battery. I needed to have Apple replace it for $80. Phone works ok with the new one as long as I don't enable location services and keep the battery charged.

Thanks Fitbit/Google.

Best Answer
0 Votes

UPDATE - The updated app started nagging me again to enable location services.  Too much to hope for I guess.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found a fix.

I’m on my 2nd Charge 4 (warranty replacement). 1st one did this too.

Cause:  Tracking a exercise from device using phone gps.

The new device didn’t do this and I suspected the “dynamic” go’s setting. I tried it and started getting the message. Dohh!!

Fix:

1. Sync up

2.  Remove device from Fitbit app

3.  Logout of app

4. Force quit the app

5.  Delete the app from phone

6.  Go to Bluetooth settings on phone and remove (forget) the device (Charge 4) for me.

7. Shut off phone (power all way down)

8.  While phone is powered down go into device settings, go to “about” there should be a “erase user data” or something similar. Do that.  After a bit (30-60s) it will want to be paired with a phone.

9.  Turn phone back on, download the Fitbit app, and follow it’s instructions.

10.  Add your device and follow those instructions. I don’t mind the “allow while using” so that’s what I went with.

11.  As soon as you can access the device settings go and change its gps to “device only”.  That should prevent future pop-up messages.

I got 1 system message (from iPhone) that the Fitbit app wanted to use location. There are a couple of choices but I stayed with “while using” but that seemed to be it.

I can leave it running and when I come back to it no pop-up message. 

I find if I want my phone with me I use the app to track it and if I want to go lighter the device gps is nice.  It’s not quite the same. Device “hike” will show elevation and app “hike” does not as an example.

Hope it helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's a poor human interface design. There should be a setting either on the device or app to override this.

Best Answer

So unfortunately it only lasted 10 days. I said earlier that they fixed it. Well, it’s back again. Annoying as ever. I’m leaving fitbit for good this time. 

Best Answer