Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename workout type on Fitbit app

Has the ability to rename a workout type been removed in 4.04?

Previously I've been starting and stopping workouts via the "Martial Arts" exercise shortcut on my Charge 5, and then going into the workout record via the exercise tab in the app and renaming the workout with a custom name to reflect specifically what I had been doing [e.g., "Class", "Form Practice", "Weapon Training", etc.]

Now the only thing that seems to be editable is the start and stop time for the workout.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

How do I change the name kickboxing to just boxing

Best Answer
0 Votes

By following the steps posted above by mcw53! 

Best Answer

Thank you.  This is so annoying and a backwards step.  Shouldn't have to use your PC to make alts that used to be simple.

Best Answer

I have an iPhone and was able to change the exercise category right on my phone. It takes a few steps though, definitely not as simple as it was before Google. I hope they correct this!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mauryj Thanks for the steps to get back to the old familiar screens, I never would have looked there to re-categorize an exercise.  

It appears Google is trying to get this in the running for a Rube Goldberg award.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Not many know Rube Goldberg anymore. 🙌
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

With the latest update of Fitbit App (v4.10), the workaround to change the name of an activity or workout is no longer possible. This is insane! First Fitibit removed the function to rename a workout, but fortunately there was still a workaround method although more troublesome. Now Fitbit does not even offer this workaround method. It seems Fitbit is determined and trying very hard to STOP us from changing the name of our own workout on the app. 

Indeed, every single update simply makes the Fitbit App (which was once great) worse and worse. I seriously cannot understand what the people at Fitbit or Google is thinking. Trying to destroy Fitbit and chase away existing customers? Testing our patience and see how many people will actually stop using Fitbit? Or maybe slowly reducing existing functionalities, and then later charging users a recurring subscription fee to bring back all these basic functionalities that should have been there in the first place? What I can say is that this is not going to work, existing users will just use another product once our patience runs out. New users will read forums and reviews, and simply go for another brand once they know Fitbit is just getting worse with less and less functionalities over time.

Is Fitbit/Google going to update us here on what is going on?

Best Answer

This no longer works will the latest update? You know how to edit your exercise type now?

Best Answer

Hey @Jen005 , I'm sorry you updated. I'm curious to know where this workaround breaks down.

Mike

Best Answer
You CAN still edit your workouts. It’s jut anti-intuitive and really well buried.

Look back through my posts and you will find my detailed instructions.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @mauryj, we know about your workaround which you shared previously. Thanks! 

However, what I was saying is that with the latest update as of today, this no longer works as well. Maybe you can update your app (at your own risk.. haha) and then test it out and let us know if you can find a way still?

Best Answer

We could edit workouts until the new update that I just downloaded today. Can no longer edit it all! 

Best Answer

I have not and will not upgrade to the v4.10 fitbit app. So I cannot help with a how to recategorize exercises with that version. Sorry.

Best Answer

Yes, I just updated the app today and am also having the same problem.  The work around no longer works.☹️.  I have now discovered that the only way to edit the type of exercise/activity is to log into your Fitbit account via the website, www.fitbit.com.  Once you are logged in, you have to:
1.  Go to your Dashboard
2.  Go to the date of the exercise that you want to edit
3.  Under "Recent Exercise", click on the exercise that you want to edit
4.  Click on the "Activities" header/tab (You will see the headers "Food", "Activities", "Weight", and "Sleep")
5.  Scroll down to "Activity History" and find the activity/exercise you want to edit
6.  Click on the pencil icon next to the activity to edit
7.  Type the name of the exercise/activity in the box next to "Name" for pre-lookups or you can create a custom activity.
8.  Click Update
9.  In the Fitbit app on your phone, pull down to sync and the updated exercise/activity will appear in the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Ok.

I’ll avoid updating then

Can you still update the workout type on the website or has that gone as well?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

It seems that it's not that we can't rename our exercises, it's more so rather that we cannot re-categorize them like we used to. Mowing the lawn for instance is sometimes mistaken for a bike ride. I know I'd want to re-categorize that. Some activities or movements can trigger my Fitbit to believe I'm swimming when I'm actually not. Having this corrected to function like the previous version of the Fitbit app before the design overhaul was made would be great. Thanks!

Best Answer

It took me a bit to navigate your instructions but I found it!

To save you a few steps, at the top of the screen next to the dashboard tab is a "log" tab, and that will take you straight to the "food, activities, weight, sleep" options.

So just click log, activities, and you can edit from there. 

Still wish we could just do it from the app! I'm thinking Google is reading these chats and disabling every loophole we share LOL!

Best Answer

Ah-ha, I see it @DanceAway!  Thank you for the tip!

Best Answer

So you cannot change the category like you used to be able to do. This is why I avoid any software updates. Functionality disappears, user interface changes where I have to relearn the app and it appears that the design specification was done by someone who never used the App. Very disappointing so I hope Fitbit fixes this in the next update as it is pretty obvious that it is needed. It was easy if I forgot to tell my watch I was exercising, the watch noticed my work out and then I changed it to what I actually did. Makes sense as a base level of functionality cmon man

Best Answer

The edit feature only allows for editing the start/stop time of workouts. I track my runs live, but they are being recorded as “walks”. And then several hundred-over 1000 steps are removed. What gives?

Best Answer