Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename workout type on Fitbit app

Has the ability to rename a workout type been removed in 4.04?

Previously I've been starting and stopping workouts via the "Martial Arts" exercise shortcut on my Charge 5, and then going into the workout record via the exercise tab in the app and renaming the workout with a custom name to reflect specifically what I had been doing [e.g., "Class", "Form Practice", "Weapon Training", etc.]

Now the only thing that seems to be editable is the start and stop time for the workout.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

I struggle with the same problem. It used to work fine, but now the menu is gone. Can’t find a way to edit the activity shortcuts in the watch either. The new app is terrible 😣 

Best Answer

I don't think you ever could do that. That is why I export my exercises to a different app. An app where you can change the map type, the exercise type, cut and split the exercise and loads of other stuff.

Fitbit app, both on phone and web browser is really lacking in features like those mentioned above not to mention it looks horrible now. 

They have ruined the software on the watch and in the app. This will probably be my last device on this platform. I have watched it crumble since Google acquired it. I've had Versa 1,2,3 and 4. I love the actual versa 4 watch which is such a shame.

Best Answer
Yes, I could do this in the previous version of the app.
Best Answer
I was able to edit previously in my phone app.
Best Answer

I’m having the same problem when I go walking it always says aerobics and I just change it now it’s a pain why do they have to keep changing format very annoying 

Best Answer

The instructions you link to for iPhone don’t work after the 4.0 app update. Step 3 says “Tap the 3 dots and choose to edit or delete the exercise. To edit the type of exercise (for example, to change a walk to a hike), tap Categorize Exercise and choose a different exercise type.” 
There are no three dots. There is a pencil, but that option only allows for changing of the start and end times, but not the activity type.

Best Answer

After the update, no longer to correct the type of exercise- if watch enters Bicycling but you were skating or jogging you should still be able to change it as prior to the App update. 
 Other appearances issues and just generally Not user friendly GUI! Obvious from the various feedback on this site it’s a theme!

Best Answer

The Fitbit app was updated a few days ago. Prior to that update, I was able to select an activity log and edit it to change the activity from workout to rowing machine. After the update, the only edit option is the start/stop date and time.

Best Answer

I recently noticed that I can’t change the name of my exercise activity anymore. This must have happened within the last week due to an IOS FITBIT app update.

There are limited options for selecting exercises on your FITBIT. I usually select WORKOUT and then later change it to ZUMBA. The place where you make this change has disappeared.

I don’t know if this is part of the attempt to get us to replace our BLAZEs or the push to get us to buy Google devices. I liked the old software much better.

Best Answer

Hello @gmk426 

The Fitbit team is aware of this issue. I think I read that this issue is mainly impacting Android users. Like you, I'm unable to edit the name of a completed activity in the Fitbit app. 

What version of the Fitbit app do you have? I'm on version 4.03 for Android. Version 4.04 started rolling out earlier this month. If you just updated to version 4.04, it seems like we will have to wait for the next app update for the fix. 

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer

Hello,

my app is also at version 4.04. For Apple IOS. Looks like the problem is across the platforms.

Thanks for chiming in and help validate the problem.

The ball is in Fitbits court…..

Best Answer

Hi @gmk426 

Well drat. Hopefully, they will get this fixed soon and roll out another update. If I hear of any news on the fix, I'll let you know. 

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer

The new app update has no option to categorize exercise for completed workouts. Normally I just put my Fitbit on “workout” mode then go back to edit later since “indoor climbing” isn’t available as a preset on the device. I had to go and manually put in my climbing after the fact, but then it doesn’t record the heart rate graph, and it’s an annoying extra step. Either bring back categorizing exercise after it’s completed, or let us put more preset exercises on the actual Fitbit.

Best Answer

This is a mess.   
I can’t change the exercise type (auto recognized elliptical as a walk) can no longer see a graph of zones.  
No thanks. 

Best Answer

Hi,

I agree. If I hear anything. I’ll do the same…

Best Answer

Ya, I just noticed that change. That, and other changes, to the app makes me angry, frustrated and annoyed. Fitbit kindly change the ability to add custom exercises back.

Best Answer

Yes, return the good features!! I want to see heart rate for each main activity like before. I want to change the name of the workout to suit what I actually do. This generic bland stuff is useless! 

----

Yes on both and VERY annoying!

Best Answer

Hi @Crissyb429 - probably best to post in "The redesigned Fitbit app is rolling out!" topic in this forum along with the other unhappy users where you will see more fully the issues.

Unfortunately it would seem likely you are stuck with this version officially. Though there may be some tweaks over time already mentioned there. This could take months to get this improperly tested version to anywhere near how the previous version was.

Author | ch, passion for improvement.

Best Answer

Since the apparent update, I am no longer able to change Outdoor Workout to another exercise such as kayaking- the edit function seems to only allow changes to start and finish time. Is there anything else I need to do as it was working fine up until this update. 

Best Answer

With the most recent update I am no longer able to edit the details of my exercise. I prefer to rename exercise on occasion to better categorize it. 

Best Answer