Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename workout type on Fitbit app

Has the ability to rename a workout type been removed in 4.04?

Previously I've been starting and stopping workouts via the "Martial Arts" exercise shortcut on my Charge 5, and then going into the workout record via the exercise tab in the app and renaming the workout with a custom name to reflect specifically what I had been doing [e.g., "Class", "Form Practice", "Weapon Training", etc.]

Now the only thing that seems to be editable is the start and stop time for the workout.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

Agree, so frustrated that I can no longer track ballet, barre, calisthenics, etc! Please Fitbit bring it back! 

Best Answer

I'm an iPhone user and I'm having the same issue. They removed the ability to recategorize your workout in the newest version of the app. I did a pretty useless chat with customer service about it. Their answer was to come here to the boards and that's all I got.

Best Answer

My app recently updated. I can’t reclassify my exercise type now. For example I played tennis today and it got categorized as sport. Prior to the update I could just change it to tennis. Now just the time edit is available. Fitbit Support told me to use the website or delete and reenter the activity, both inconvenient options. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Best Answer

Apparently you can change the name of the exercise on the website, but that is not very convenient.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is incredibly frustrating,  I wish this feature was restored in a future update. 😤

Best Answer

I have the same issue.  After the new update I can't change the category from Sport to any other.

Best Answer

Did the latest app update remove the ability to reclassify/rename exercise that is named by the auto-recognition feature? On the “edit exercise details” page, the name of the exercise seems to be locked at whatever the app thought it was, right or wrong. 

Best Answer

Hello,

My experience with Fitbit support over the years has been the same. Post you to the boards, or take you through resetting the watch. 
It’s unfortunate that Fitbit engineering has consistently messed up updates. That points to little to no regression testing prior to releasing an update.

I was hoping once Google took over that Fitbit’s regression testing process or lack thereof, would be fixed by Google engineering.

It appears Google decided to give Fitbit a bit too much autonomy with the company.

Let’s see how long it takes Fitbit to get their act together and fix the update correctly.

Best Answer

Crazy - in the latest app update the Average HR and Peak HR are no longer listed the in exercise data! They are listed on your wrist when you stop your exercise!

Best Answer

Yes, the format has changed a lot. Generally, when changes are made. They are the type of small changes that you can intuitively figure out quickly. When the changes are major and revamps how the data is displayed. You would expect the company to put out a change notice and how it affects the format and display of it.  Fitbit seems to not care how it impacts the users and doesn’t care what the users want.  Where the heck is Google engineering in all of this. Better yet, where’s Google management?

Best Answer

Hello @DelGreco 

This is a bug that initially impacted mostly Android users after the Fitbit app was redesigned. Based on recent users' posts, it seems that iOS users are now seeing this issue with the latest app update. 

Hopefully, this issue will soon be resolved for both platforms in an upcoming update. 

----

Hello @Elaine882

This is a bug that initially impacted mostly Android users after the Fitbit app was redesigned. Based on recent users' posts, it seems that iOS users are now seeing this issue with the latest app update.

Hopefully, this issue will soon be resolved for both platforms in an upcoming update.

----

Hello @ReneeD1

Rieko | N California USA MBG PE

Best Answer

Another update, more stuff broken. Positive - they’ve fixed the bpm tile only showing “—“. Negative - the ability to categorize exercise is gone. I’m getting “road biking” or “walk” with no ability to update. How hard is it to tell users “in this update, we removed this. Here’s why.” But no, Users find out when a feature stops working. Great job. My fitbit is about 4 years old. When I replace it, it won’t be with a fitbit. 

Best Answer

I totally agree. The latest update is a downgrade. Can not edit exercise type. Does not show graph with heart rate and zones in activity, Can these features be brought back? I've been a Fitbit user for many years. Downgrades like this make we want to move from Fitbit to an apple watch.  

Best Answer

I was able to change walk to hike, but now Sunday and Monday (the day of the hike) disappear as active days AND I did several other activities those days

Best Answer

I agree. After 7+ years I think I may have finally had enough. 

Best Answer
thanks for the info
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue and very disappointing to lose this feature! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm an IOS user and it affects me.  I can no longer rename an activity using the app, and I don't see a way to do it on the web site either.  That's unfortunate because that's a really useful feature.  My Charge 5 often auto tracks my activities using the name "Sport".  I used to be able to change that to what the activity actually was, but I can no longer do that.  I hope this is just a bug that will be fixed and not the removal of a very useful feature.

----

I see this too. I'm an IOS user. I can't change my activity names at all. I used to be able to do that very easily and it was useful to have a log of what specific sports I did on what days. Now all I can see is "Sport" for most activities, especially the ones that are auto-tracked.

Best Answer
Exactly. I too hope the situation can be remedied
Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue with Inspire3. Last couple days edit options to specify activity not functional. Please reply why! So easy and now gone. Ugh!

Best Answer