Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename workout type on Fitbit app

Has the ability to rename a workout type been removed in 4.04?

Previously I've been starting and stopping workouts via the "Martial Arts" exercise shortcut on my Charge 5, and then going into the workout record via the exercise tab in the app and renaming the workout with a custom name to reflect specifically what I had been doing [e.g., "Class", "Form Practice", "Weapon Training", etc.]

Now the only thing that seems to be editable is the start and stop time for the workout.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

Fitbit is aware of this and working on it. It's a glitch in the new app and has nothing to do with what watch you have. You can keep up better here. https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/Can-t-edit-the-exercise-type-on-new-Fitbit-app/m-p/54549... 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Annoying!! Downgrading two key features - naming your own exercise, seeing heartbeat with specific workout not the entire 24hr heart info. Is it to push us into premium?!?

Best Answer

Exercise details are no longer showing after IOS update and can’t edit activity mode

Best Answer

I scoured the Fitbit Help, chatted with someone at FitBit and still no answers or acknowledgement that there is even an issue. 

Best Answer

Hi everyone, and welcome to our new members.

Thanks for updating the Fitbit app, as well as your feedback and efforts while working on this matter. Let me share that this issue was already reported to our team and they're currently investigating. I understand how useful it is to edit your workouts and see your details correctly displayed, and I'm sorry for this inconvenience. Please know we'll keep our team informed of this situation and once we have more details, I'll make sure to update this thread.

Best Answer

The update is terrible. One of the reasons I have stayed with Fitbit for years is that the app was always a lot better set out and I could see everything clearly and as I do a lot of different sport and exercise I could use the Fitbit for everything. The new app doesn't let me change the exercises at all. I can't rename them I can't change it from a walk to horse riding for example. I can't see maps of my walk or hr data for an exercise. The info I see is so basic. This needs to be fixed asap or I don't see the point in using my Fitbit as it can't do the things I want. Xmas coming up may be time for a change of sports watch. 

Best Answer

I have the same issue; seems when I clicked the ‘pencil’ then closed it the activity detail appeared. Can’t change the generic workout label to cut grass as my specific activity.

Best Answer

I’m having the exact same thing.  All apps are up to date.  When I try and edit the activity the only thing I can change is the start and end time and not the exercise type.  My walks are now recognised as elliptical.

Best Answer

The new app update is horrendously bad. I can no longer edit my exercise details to change the category type of the exercise. Why take a step backwards? 

In addition to this the app is aesthetically worse off, less information is visible under the exercise. Also why is there no feature to sync charge 6 to google fit on ios? Google fit only counts my steps through my phone and not my charge 6. I know this feature to sync exists elsewhere, i have seen screenshots. They are either for android, or yet another functionality removed. How can it be this bad? Surely you have a team of developers working on this? Beyond poor quality; zero thought has gone into this. Getting the feeling that fitbit is a company like the old twitter, where no work actually gets done.

Best Answer
The whole look of the display has changed and there is no longer an option
to change the activity. Doing what you said I can see the detail but in a
different format and not as detailed. Such a shame.

Thanks for trying to help.
Best Answer
0 Votes

There is a way, but you have to go through +add exercise, then it wants you to program ahead…I looked at top of that page and switched to ‘log’. Then it went to the same page we are used to.  
WAY TOO COMPLICATED.  
These latest changes have NOT been for the better!!!

Best Answer

Exactly!! I loved the previous style app with the different colours. I’m not liking the all turquoise colour way. I’ve lost my route maps now as well as the ability to edit the exercise. Help!

Best Answer

Turqiose color is awful.  I much preferred the visual aspects of the original app, Losing  the ability to change  the activity and all charts when you don’t preselect an activity  is significant to me.  Now that I realize it is not tracking steps correctly, I am researching for a new device… in the event google does not read and fix  the long list of issues,

Best Answer

My Inspire 2 will not allow me to recategorize my exercise. It always reads water aerobics as swimming but  until today I have been able to recategorize. There is no mechanism to do that even though I can correct the duration. 

Best Answer

Also cannot edit exercise/workout type or details like I always used to be able to do after the recent app update.  Fitbit Charge 5 paired with an iPhone 15 running iOS 17.1.1  When I click on the pencil icon, the only thing I can do is update the start and stop times, something I rarely need to do.  I can no longer change the workout type, which I often would like to do.

On a brighter note, I like seeing the battery percentage again.

Best Answer

Same problem. Can’t edit exercise. Said I was swimming when I was doing Zumba toning and stretching. 

Best Answer

One really weak option I’ve tried is to delete the “WALK” and manually log “GOLF” with the same start and end time. Not acceptable. I’m on ios 

Best Answer

I have same issue. This is very poor.

Can not edit name and graphics poorly downgraded 

fit bit needs to fix.

Best Answer

I have an iPhone and have the same issue. I can edit a couple items, but not the exercise type anymore. Really annoying and hopefully they will fix it?

Best Answer

Since the most recent update off the Fitbit app on iOS, I am no longer able to recategorize auto recognized activities. As well many of the activities such as swimming have far fewer stats tracked (such as lengths swam). Is this a flaw or has the app been downgraded? I’m a long time user of Fitbit products, but it seems to me the latest app changes have severely reduced functionality . 

Best Answer