Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename workout type on Fitbit app

Has the ability to rename a workout type been removed in 4.04?

Previously I've been starting and stopping workouts via the "Martial Arts" exercise shortcut on my Charge 5, and then going into the workout record via the exercise tab in the app and renaming the workout with a custom name to reflect specifically what I had been doing [e.g., "Class", "Form Practice", "Weapon Training", etc.]

Now the only thing that seems to be editable is the start and stop time for the workout.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

I’m having the same problem. Really quite crap not being able to edit to show what you were actually doing. 

Best Answer
Yes, at least happy re: battery %
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am interested in the answer to those questions as well. Will impact my decisions in the future as to whether I stay with Fitbit products….

Best Answer

Yes. This version 4.0.4 is a complete step backwards for Fitbit. The general usability is also very basic now. I’ve been with Fitbit for a long long time and unless they upgrade this app to something at least comparable to what they had before, I will also switch to another brand. I went for a walk yesterday and it recorded a bike ride. Unusable now. 

Best Answer

I’m having the same problem. My Fitbit misclassified cleaning as swimming (as it usually does) last night, but I don’t have the option to reclassify it anymore.

IMG_4331.jpeg

I also don’t like the new exercise page layout in general. I preferred to be able to scroll through all of my recent exercise rather than only being able to view them by day or month.

Best Answer

I did not update my iPad. Works like before.

if I knew this I would not have done the update on my iPhone. 

Best Answer

Is it possible to inform and request Fitbit to change this? 

Best Answer

I’m having the same issues since updating to new version. Not being able to recategorize is really frustrating.

Best Answer

The instructions you link to for iPhone don’t work after the 4.0 app update. Step 3 says “Tap the 3 dots and choose to edit or delete the exercise. To edit the type of exercise (for example, to change a walk to a hike), tap Categorize Exercise and choose a different exercise type.” 
There are no three dots. There is a pencil, but that option only allows for changing of the start and end times, but not the activity type.

Please vote on this request to the Fitbit team to bring this functionality back: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Product-Feedback/Allow-us-to-re-categorize-exercises-on-new-Fitbit-a... Voting on this request is likely the best way to let the product teams know how frustrating this is to their customers.

Best Answer

right'o! let's all vote.   And how about being able to adjust heart rate data for particular workouts, not just full-day tracking which frankly is useless. I'm not a heart patient, I use it to track a workout.

Best Answer

Yesterday I was fixing a fence and Fitbit recorded me as swimming. Here even the auto recording of exercise is far less accurate than before. Before, this was at least recorded as walking or workout. Swimming is not even close. This was far better before this upgrade. I don’t understand why a company like Fitbit would downgrade an app like this. 

IMG_1871.png

Best Answer

Agreed - it seems we lose functions with every update rather than improving functionality.  The exercise tracking and ability to accurately add or reclassify exercises is terrible now!!  I am seriously considering an Apple Watch now, after years of enjoying my Fitbit.  

Best Answer

Today I accidentally recorded my Strength Training session as a Run, but even normally I always recorded strength sessions as Weights and then changed it later (if I actually did bodyweight exercises with no weights, for example). The only thing I could think to do to fix it was to log a new exercise manually using the same start and duration times as my so-called Run, and then delete the Run. It does seem to have saved my heart rate and active minutes over from the Run to the Strength Training, to my surprise.

Best Answer

I tried doing it that way on the actual website and it can’t be done there either. It’s very frustrating and disappointing that we can no longer track what we actually do,,,hard to keep record of our workouts…

----

While you’re at it , please ask them to put the previous version of heart rate back under the exercise category (fat burn/cardio/peak) as it was a lot easier to read and understand. I’m older and can’t even tell what color those teeny, tiny dots are on the new heart zone chart are. Even with my reading glasses on. We would like our brightly colored zone bar back, please…

Best Answer

IMG_0215.png

IMG_0216.png

The option to edit auto-tracked activity does not appear anymore. Used to be able to rename activity by simply selecting and using "Categorize". Not anymore. When using the pencil icon to edit, only start and end times can be edited. Not the activity name/category.

Best Answer

You definitely could do it. I have done it many times. The auto exercise recognotion doesn;t always get it right and I have often changed it on my phone to the correct exercise.

Best Answer

Marsover

I’m confused—you’ve changed it many times?

on the latest app update?

it hasn’t been alive a full week yet?

if you mean the old version yeah I’ve done it many times there too

if you mean the website I don’t have the patience to re-categorize every_dang_time I exercise to boot up my computer when my smart phone is handier

Best Answer
Apologies if you are confused.

My comment was in response to a statement that 'you could never change the
exercise name'. I pointed out that I've changed the exercise many times on
the old phone app. For example, the phone sometimes returns walking as a
period on an indoor bike. I have changed this successfully in the past
through the phone app.
I have never been able to recategorise or rename the exercise on the web
page.

As for the updated phone app interface, I'm struggling to see this new
phone app interface is an improvement or upgrade. Someone will need to be
working hard to try and make me change my mind.
Best Answer

agreed!! i have been on chat withe support twice now about this and nothing. 

Best Answer

I am in SHOCK!! Just opened the app and figured out that the heart rate excercise data (graphs) is gone!!! What happened?!??!?  Please tell me this is just some kind of bug…!!! 

I have been so happy with my fitbit and the app up till this fall… but after the new releases ive been sooo disappointed, that i seriously think, i will buy a new watch, not a fitbit… 

Leena from Finland 

Best Answer