Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename workout type on Fitbit app

Has the ability to rename a workout type been removed in 4.04?

Previously I've been starting and stopping workouts via the "Martial Arts" exercise shortcut on my Charge 5, and then going into the workout record via the exercise tab in the app and renaming the workout with a custom name to reflect specifically what I had been doing [e.g., "Class", "Form Practice", "Weapon Training", etc.]

Now the only thing that seems to be editable is the start and stop time for the workout.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

leenafin-

you and me both

since my premium ends in 6 mos I will ride it until then before I switch to another fitness tracker 

Google killed the platform

no one knows why

Best Answer

I contacted Fitbit through their Facebook page and this is an excerpt of their reply where they told me about a link to vote to have this feature reinstated. Go and vote and hopefully they will listen to us! 

There is no option to rename the exercise that was synced on your app. We have seen that this feature request/suggestion is currently being reviewed by our moderator. You can vote for this:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Product-Feedback/Allow-us-to-re-categorize-exercises-on-new-Fitbit-a...

Best Answer

While we’re at it if any of the powers that be are reading please also bring back the heart graph during timed exercise

Best Answer

I am having the same issue and the chat was just a waste of time!

what is the point of updating an app to make it worse!

this needs changing ASAP!

It is impossible to change the exercise type on the app! The can’t told me to start an exercise form the app- so what is the point of having a Fitbit then?????

Best Answer
0 Votes

Even more shocked after today’s spinning. The app did not recognize the excercise, and then i realized it is impossible to add it afterwards in the app🙄 Used the web version and figured out that you can not edit a log if you set a wrong numbers etc.: you have to delete the log and do it again… 🙄

In Finnish language we have a phrase that descripes the total frustration i am feeling now about the 4.04 release  (not a swear word): ”pitäkää tunkkinne” ! I can not understand that Fitbit let this happen! The app is now so totally destoyed, total garbage: the app was ”the thing” = reason for buying a Fitbit device. It truly was the perfect companion for us who do active excercise and want to follow statistics. This app is useless. Fitbit is useless. No reason to stick to thos brand anymore. 

Best Answer

I also dance and the only activity options I've ever seen for the tracking feature were Run, Walk, or Hike. I used to be able to edit the "activity type" after I stopped the tracking feature. I was never able to choose a custom workout type, but I used to be able to access more fitbit defined options such as Interval Workout, Swimming, or Kayaking. Changing the "activity type" would re-calibrate the data tracked and I found "Interval Workout" to be the best match for my dance classes. But now, once you pick from Run, Walk, or Hike, it's final. No editing the exercise type after the fact.

FitBit, it seems, is now only good for users that are into running, walking, or hiking.

Best Answer

I found a roundabout way to get to the old format, edit the workout type, and see the old stats.

From the exercise page, click on the 3 dots at the top right, then on Manage Data. Scroll down and click on Exercise (Exercise Logs, GPS Tracking), and then on REVIEW YOUR DATA. From here, you should see the old exercise page and edit your details as you used to: click on the exercise, then on categorize exercise.

Hope this helps, even if it's an annoyingly complicated way to go about it. 

Best Answer

auser23 

It worked!! Thanks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don’t have a dashboard or anything else with the Fitbit symbol. Only time I see it opens get premium 

Best Answer
0 Votes

On the same page as you. All the responses say to tap the “three dots” but of course those no longer exists. My workouts on rowing machine read as swimming with much lower calorie burns. Hate the new version for many reasons, but especially this. 

Best Answer

Yes!!! I can see some heart rate graphs for some exercises but not the ones I really want, like treadmill. Terrible update this one 

Best Answer

Completely agree! It’s the most annoying thing about this. Total lack of communication and explanation. Treating loyal customers with complete disdain and lack of respect.They clearly think we are all stupid and wouldn’t notice the changes!? So disappointing after so many years of excellence.

Best Answer

seems im not alone to suffer this sucking update app....

Best Answer

This worked @auser23 !!! 
I already bought today another brand watch. I wish i had tried this tips earlier… maybe i’ll use my old Fitbit aside to my new devise for a while.. and hope Fitbit will bring the old format back to us!  I would give up this new watch anytime (even it seems pretty amazing) if only i could get the old format back… 

Best Answer

The “pencil” icon allows me to edit the time of an exercise that my Charge 5 Fitbit (on a iOS device) detected, but not the type of activity. (My vigorous lawn mowing was interpreted as “outdoor biking”). After talking to support I understand this is a known bug).

Best Answer

Thank you for posting about this! 
1) my lawn mowing is always misinterpreted as bike too. 

2) other activities are also misinterpreted to things that I don’t do at all- like using an elliptical. I’d like to fix that and I can’t. 

3) I wish there was an option to filter down to plausible activity in general. I know I can turn off auto-detect for things, but being able to tell the app, I do or don’t have this equipment would minimize the need to change the activity type in the 1st place. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @JimKzcrankin 

Here's a way you can re-categorize your exercises from the current version of the fitbit app. It's kludgy, but it works.

V3.xx Exercise Data/Screens Accessible from V4.06 

Best Answer

The new version of the app is awful. It looks very bland now that all the colourful graphics have vanished. 5 presets is not enough for the amount of different exercises I do and I used to log under anything, then change in the app after I had done my workout. This option has now vanished and you can only change the workout duration not the type. Contacted support incase I was doing something wrong and they told me to post on here instead

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello @Excitingstar and welcome to the Community.  Fitbit is aware of this app problem.  Users deserve a fix soon, very soon.

Community Council Member

Laurie | Maryland, USA

Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Lots and lots of complaints that we can no longer recategorize activities. I just replaced my Charge 5 because after many years it gave up. The new app makes it pretty much useless.  I could never list my custom activity on the watch. I used to change the category afterwards. Now can’t recategorize at all?
Come on Google! Please get that fixed ASAP. 
I chose Fitbit and Charge 5 as an inexpensive waterproof device for use in the water for GPS logging windsurfing, wingfoiling and windsurf foiling. I made custom categories and it is important for me to categorize them discreetly. Would love if I could put them on the Charge 5 to select at the start but changing categories after was workable. 

I give you a month, the. I’m out. And I will returning my Charge 5 for a refund. 

Best Answer