Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename workout type on Fitbit app

Has the ability to rename a workout type been removed in 4.04?

Previously I've been starting and stopping workouts via the "Martial Arts" exercise shortcut on my Charge 5, and then going into the workout record via the exercise tab in the app and renaming the workout with a custom name to reflect specifically what I had been doing [e.g., "Class", "Form Practice", "Weapon Training", etc.]

Now the only thing that seems to be editable is the start and stop time for the workout.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283

Whew! Glad to know it wasn’t user error! The new update and the inability to re-categorize our workouts is just DUMB!  It makes absolutely no sense the FitBit developers removed that feature.  Please bring it back on the next update.  It’s extremely needed to its users. 

Best Answer

Doubtful they’ll add it back 

yes moderator this is on topic so please don’t slap my wrists again 

to be clear: they probably will not add the recategorize of the exercise feature 

nor will the probably re-add the heart graph feature that they removed from individual exercise 

I just did the latest revision to the most recent update

my premium subscription ends mid-2024 and by then I’ll find a wearable fitness monitor to replace the formerly great Fitbit that got killed by Google 

Best Answer

Thank you! Crazy to have to do things this way, but at l'm glad it's still there. Many kudos for figuring that out!

Best Answer

The new Fitbit app has changed, in that I used to be able to re-categorise an exercise after it was completed, but now I can't see how to do that. As an example I did an exercise on Monday but once finished it showed as a walk, so I want to change it to golf, which is what I had done, but I can't seem to change it. Likewise I went out on my bike and it showed as a walk, but I cannot change it to a bike. 

What is going on - the new app is a backward step

Can someone advise me what to do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. It worked perfectly before the update. Please change it back so we can accurately track our activity — the whole purpose of wearing a Fitbit in the first place. Beyond frustrated!😣 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here. Please change it back!

----

Totally agree. I would like to see the stats availability returned to the views. 

----

4.04 and now 4.06 iOS Apple — beyond frustrated that it’s still an issue!

----

Apparently their software developers and business analyst s are not Fitbit users or this would have never gotten through the design review!  SMH

Best Answer

Definitely kludgy, but thanks for sharing!

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only way I have figured out how to continue doing this is to log in from a webpage rather than in the app.  In the dashboard "log", you can edit exercise details there.  Not the fix I was hoping for, but my app updated immediately.  Hopefully, they will fix this bug soon!!!  Up until about 13 days ago, I could edit the "Workout" that I selected on my Fitbit Luxe prior to the class starting to "Cardio and Strength", or "Orange Theory Fitness".  I like to keep specific track of my activity, rather than have it be something generic like "workout" or "walk".   

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can re-categorize your exercise from the current app (v4.06). It ain't pretty, but it's doable.

From the exercise page, tap on the 3 dots at the top right, then on Manage Data. Scroll down and tap on EXERCISE (EXERCISE LOGS, GPS TRACKING), and then on REVIEW YOUR DATA. From this point forward you have the look and feel and functionality you had with the v3.9x app, including the ability to re-categorize your exercise.

Edit 02/09/2024: People are reporting that as of version v4.10, google implemented code to prevent you from using this workaround. Bye!$fitbit07a.jpg$fitbit07b.jpg

Best Answer
Are you on an iphone? Below is the most current version and the options
under manage data do not allow the changes to be made as you suggested.
Best Answer

Wow!  That is a long way around, but it does work.  Thank you for this information.  Very helpful!

am using an iphone. The option that MCW53 shared above worked for me.

Best Answer

You can still re-categorize your exercises with the current version of the fitbit app. See this post.

--------

Yes, I'm using an iPhone with iOS version 17.1.2

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks! 
A bit complicated, but it works 🤗

Best Answer
These options do not appear for me. I am using an Android phone and the only options I get when I click on
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, that long-winded Review Data method works, but it's stupid that I should have to go all that way to do the thing that was immediately available under Activity before!

I always have to re-categorise the auto-added exercises as it doesn't understand what I'm really doing.

It used to be really easy, and now it isn't. the sillist thing is that the all the Review Data meethod does it bring forward the old interface, the one that works.

Fitbit really needs to stop updating the app by removing features that people use and like.

Best Answer
How do you get to Review Data again? I can’t seem to find it!
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

The only way I have found out how to do it is through the web browser instead of the app. Go to your dashboard, then log, then activities, and THAT is where you will be able to edit the activity type without changing the other stats. 

Best Answer
I do that too but the only input for recorded data is DETAILS. In that page the only input choice is the (…) button and that only allows Export and Delete. Same as within the IOS app.
So I can’t change the category anymore at all it seems.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Also, what happened to the option to edit the exercise type ( ie - from aerobic activity to swimming)?

Best Answer
0 Votes