Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to rename workout type on Fitbit app

Has the ability to rename a workout type been removed in 4.04?

Previously I've been starting and stopping workouts via the "Martial Arts" exercise shortcut on my Charge 5, and then going into the workout record via the exercise tab in the app and renaming the workout with a custom name to reflect specifically what I had been doing [e.g., "Class", "Form Practice", "Weapon Training", etc.]

Now the only thing that seems to be editable is the start and stop time for the workout.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
283 REPLIES 283
I managed to do that last week, but this week it only seems to allow me to delete the exercise

Have they removed the facility?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

It was removed without notice or explanation. Typical for Fitbit.

Best Answer

Last 2 updates are terrible! I still can no longer characterize my workouts without manually entering an activity and deleting the one that my Fitbit thinks I did. It always says I did a run when 95% of the time I’m on my elliptical. Please revert to the old versions or update the app so I can characterize my exercises properly! 

Best Answer

Same! A walk pushing a baby stroller is not the same as a bike ride but I can’t change it. The longer I use this app the more it annoys me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks to mcw53, for reporting auser23‘s workaround.

I had not tried the “Review your data” option under Manage Data.  All of the familiar exercise data screens are still in there, in iOS app v4.06.

This is terrible design, unless the goal is to prevent customers from using this feature that we have relied on for many years.

Also, I see that heart rate data are available now in the new exercise detail screen, at least for workouts started on my Charge 6.  So, that’s a step in the right direction.

Best Answer

I also add my dissatisfaction with the new app and the inability to re-categorise an exercise and also the reduced amount of data provided for a given exercise. The app has devolved in a big way with these latest feature removals. There doesn't seem to be a reason other than to p&ss off users.

Best Answer
Turns out you can still recategorize. The tools are well buried and impossible to find! Look along this thread for instructions. (I don’t quite remember at the moment, that’s how well they are hidden).
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
You can edit and view workout day by going to manage data using the 3 dots on the top-right when on exercise tab

You can view data and that allows you to edit the information

Very clunky and time consuming
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I sometimes think they are making the Fitbit experience worse to push people into buying a Google device. The app has consistently gotten worse with each upgrade. Has anyone switched to using the google app with the Fitbit device?

Best Answer
You are so right. I have been thinking this too

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

When I click on those three dots and go to manage data it brings me to the delete data page.

Best Answer
0 Votes
There’s a View Data option near the Delete page

View Data allows you to edit the exercise information

Very clunky but it does work

I still would prefer the old app layout back though
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Ok. Here are the instructions:
1. In the Fitbit App click on
Exercise days under Activity.
It opens a page called Exercise.
2. Click the three dots in the upper right corner.
3. Click on Manage Fitbit Data.
4. Click on “Exercise(Ecercise logs, GPS Tracking)”
Right above the “Delete by Date Range” there is a light teal button that is really easy to overlook! “Review your Data”
5. Press “Review your Data”.
That brings up the list of your exercises where you can Categorize Exercise like before.

5 steps now instead of one. Yup. That sucks but at least you can do it.

Maury
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
Thank you; I found the post that describes this and screenshot-ed it. It
did work. I appreciate it!!!
Best Answer
You can, but it’s hard. Look through this email chain and see how.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Thank you! It worked!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks so much for the step-by-step! Really helpful.

The new UI is so counter-intuitive, and the user experience is beyond backwards 😞

Best Answer
Agreed. I'm planning to switch too.

I'm thinking that Fitbit are reducing functionality as a prelude to
introducing a subscription to get full functionality back. They have form
in this process. For example, they removed features from the Fitbit Ionic
and then offered them back through a subscription.
Best Answer
If that’s the case it just speeds up my exit from the device.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

This new app is just awful. I had friends come over for new years who use other products, their sports tracking, reclassification, and GPS tracking during sports is FAR FAR superior. I've voted with you MikTheFish but Fitbit please take note that I am now in the market for a competitor product and am so disappointed that I will have to swallow the sunk costs I've put into Fitbit just to get into a new competitor product. I was loyal to Fitbit, but I can't use this product any longer for the activities, sports and tracking that I used to love.

Best Answer