Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alta HR Display

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Please comment on your personal experience with display visibility outdoors.
I haven't seen this topic discussed on the Board as of yet, and I consider this a very important element of any fitness tracker.
I purchased the Alta in April of 2016. I had owned the Charge but wanted a more slim profile; something I could wear on a daily basis which wouldn't be so bulky. I was thrilled to be using my new tracker until... I, along with several other Alta users, realized that the display was very difficult to read in sunlight.
There was a Board dedicated to this issue and, although there were no promises, there were indications that Fitbit would be looking at the issue.
Fast forward to the announcement of the new Alta HR release. I so badly wanted to hear that this old issue had been resolved on the new Alta HR. With so many complaints about the difficulty in reading the display outside on the original Alta, I actually anticipated that, no doubt, it had been addressed. Wrong.
I spoke to 2 different reps by phone as well as writing a lengthy email inquiring about this "hoped for" improvement only to be sorely disappointed to learn that the issue had not been addressed.
How can such an essential element of a fitness tracker be, seemingly, ignored? I'm still puzzled by Fitbit's lack of interest in correcting this important feature flaw.
I understand that many people exercise indoors, which would negate the problem of visibility in sunlight, but outdoor activity also enjoys a large number of participants.
What has been your experience with the new Alta HR?

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
139 REPLIES 139
I hope they fix the issue and replace all our devices!One can always hope!

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Best Answer
Happy to help!

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Best Answer
0 Votes

I really wished I had read this.

ive just bought one, it’s a didsapointment.

i will be advising my friends not to buy.

i will be buying a Garmin.

Fitbit are the new BlackBerry.

just update the FW....

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still sticking it to people! They’re soulless.

Moderator edit: Removed personal information

Best Answer

Hi everyone! Great to see you in the Fitbit Community Forums! 🙂

Thank you all for your input on this. When it comes to the display readability under sunlight, we appreciate your input on this. Our team is taking your feedback into consideration to make Fitbit products better.

Anything else you may need help with, let me know!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
It is unreadable outside in daylight. Please fix

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
This is the one BIG problem with the AltaHR.

Get Outlook for Android
Best Answer
0 Votes
We would like this product to work not lessons learnt for the next model.
Or should we ask for Research and Development compensation, as your customers seem to do that for you..

Sent from my Sinclair ZX81
Best Answer
That is right .... correct the one we all have .... or compensate us

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

I too am very disappointed in the faint screen display of the Alta HR.  I am currently considering the Fitbit Charge 2 but am hesitant the same issue will be experienced. I use my Fitbit indoors and outdoors and need a display I can read. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree about the difficulty reading the Alta HR screen when outdoors.  I find this very frustrating since I purchased the Alta to track my steps when walking my dog.  I was trying to find a way to adjust the brightness or contrast of the screen and was disappointed to see your message.  Is this unique to the Alta HR or a problem to all styles of the Fitbit brand?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

I cannot read my display outside

Best Answer
0 Votes
No one can!

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

No one could 2 years ago when I had one - possibly hundreds of posts on that

Best Answer

Sorry, not true. There are probably differents factories for fitbit alta hr or differents factories settings but I bought two of them : the first one is completly unreadable outdoor even whithout sun, the second one is easily readable outside without sun and can hardly be read with sun. His screen is a lot brigther, this is just incredible for me that fitbit let deficients products on market because everyone should be able to use it outdoor...

Best Answer

Did they not think of testing it outdoors during development?!!

Best Answer

The display on my daughters Alta HR is much brighter than my Alta HR. But on the plus side, my battery lasts ages before a recharge is required!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

No, you can’t see the screen in bright sunlight.   My display also now is incomplete and faded and HR is blank. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
What one to buy next?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Ny fitbit is useless outside, U would say not fit for purpose.

Best Answer
0 Votes